A Lit-verse based TOS chronology

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ryan123450, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I would've thought the reappearance of K's't'lk (from The Wounded Sky) would've been a pretty clear callback to an earlier work.

2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Darren, great info as always. I'm trying to work this all out for myself with the information you have given here. I will try to start logically from the beginning. Starting with publication order, we have

1. The Wounded Sky
    2. My Enemy, My Ally
    3. The Romulan Way
    4. Spock's World
    5. Doctor's Orders
    6. Swordhunt
    7. Honor Blade
    8. The Empty Chair
    We have established how My Enemy, My Ally comes directly after The Wounded Sky. I like how you have the beginning of Spock's World tie in to the end of My Enemy, My Ally, so I will put those two together. VotI has Spock's World before The Romulan Way as well. It may not be the best order to read them in, but it's ok with me.

Spocks' World is 2 years after TMP so to me that places it somewhere in the range April 2275 to March 2276.

Doctor's Orders has me confused. It's own text claims to be set in 2291, but everyone seems to ignore that in favor of placing it with the other Duane novels. No one in the conversation, nor VotI places it in publication order between Spock's World and Swordhunt. And your notes state that Spock's World references it, despite the fact that it came out afterwards? Why isn't this novel just placed in 2291?

The Romulan Way is eight years after "The Enterprise Incident". According to my timeline that would place it in the range of Feb 2276 to Jan 2277. If Swordhunt and Honor Blade are in November that leads me to believe the final four Rihannsu books take place in the last quarter of 2276, which lines up with VotI. What made you choose 2277?

At any rate we get September 2275 for My Enemy, My Ally and putting Spock's World a few months after that lets it fall in that April 75 to March 76 range I pointed out.

So I end up with...
    1. The Wounded Sky- Aug 75
    2. My Enemy, My Ally- Sept 75
    3. Spock's World- Dec 75
    4. (Doctor's Orders???)- July/Aug 76
    5. The Romulan Way- Sept 76
    6. Swordhunt- Nov 76
    7. Honor Blade- Nov 76
    8. The Empty Chair- Dec 76
    Thoughts anyone?

3. Christopher

Well, for one thing, it's very much a 5-year mission novel. Uhura is explicitly a lieutenant, Chekov an ensign. Where does it mention 2291?

Doctor's Orders was written during the period when Richard Arnold was cracking down on continuity among novels. It contains no references to the events of any of Duane's earlier novels, it retcons the setting back to the 5-year mission, and the only Duane-original characters it features are human ones like Lia Burke and Janice Kerasus, none of her aliens like Naraht or Athende. The only reason it fits in with the other Duane novels in my version is because I go with the original intent that the novels before Spock's World take place pre-TMP (implicitly in a second five-year mission or just a mission extended well beyond five years), so I can slot in Doctor's Orders in between MEMA and TRW.

4. ryan123450

I just got the 2291 date from Darren saying it was the 1000th anniversary of the founding of Switzerland. I've not read the novel yet. I suppose if there are other chronological clues (ranks) that don't fit anyway, I'll just leave it in place in July 76.

5. Christopher

^Even though it's explicitly 5-year mission?

Also, I just checked the text. It is not the 1000th anniversary of the founding of Switzerland. A character refers to that event happening "almost a thousand years" and "nearly a thousand years" before. Nearly a thousand could easily be 975-980 years.

6. ryan123450

Well that's alot different. I will completely ignore that aspect of it then. I wonder what reference is made to the events of The Wounded Sky, as Darren mentioned. It would suit me to put it in the five year mission and not in the midst of the other Duane novels, if that would make sense.

7. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The fact that Lia Burke is in it at all. The Wounded Sky was pretty clearly her first appearance, I thought.

8. Jsplinis

Jsplinis Lieutenant Red Shirt

The Romulan Way is cowritten by Diane Duane's husband Peter Morwood who also wrote the book Rules of Engagement. From what I understand it features at least some of the original characters from Duane's books and it happens in the post-TMP era. To what extant do you guys think that it could be considered a part of this "Duaneverse" series and when would it happen relative to the other books?

Thanks and have fun,
    jsplinis

9. ryan123450

Well, I've not read either book, so that's why I was asking.

That's a good point, and a good question. I have it in 2278, near the tale end of tge second 5YM. I think tgat placement comes from VotL but I may have changed it fir some reason. i wonder why it is dated then.

10. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

Hi everybody,
    Sorry for the delay in replying but new work schedule and the power has been out for a couple of days here in Western Washington.
    I don't have my notes handy and I've returned the books to the library but the reason I moved everything up by a year is that in 'The Romulan Way' at the start of the story McCoy is on a three week vacation and he explicitly thinks to himself that he's fifty years old. He does't say 'almost fifty' he says fifty. With the year of his birth be established as 2227 in the Chronology, 2277 would be the year the story is set in. So either the person thinking about 'The Enterprise Incident' is rounding down when he says '8 years ago' and it's really nine or McCoy is rounding. I chose the former.
    As for 'Spock's World', I'm still thinking about the placement on that one; it's not said that it's two years after 'The Motion Picture' only 2 years out in the field since their last refit and resupply so it could even be after the events of 'The Empty Chair' and the end of the second five year mission.

11. Christopher

Worth noting that, because the chronology was uncertain when McCoy's age was given as 137 in "Encounter at Farpoint," it's ended up making McCoy younger than he was believed to be when The Romulan Way was written. Once "The Neutral Zone" established TNG's calendar year as 2364, that retroactively gave McCoy a 2227 birthdate, which doesn't make a lot of sense because it makes him only 39 when TOS begins, even though DeForest Kelley was 46 at that point. If anything, I'm surprised that TRW made him as young as fifty if it was supposed to be eight years after season 3.

There is a passage in chapter "Enterprise: One" (pp. 27-8 in the paperback) saying that Kirk has only just convinced Nogura to "de-admiral" him and restore him to captain's rank. I've always taken that as evidence that Spock's World took place right after TMP. Although I don't see how to reconcile that with the bit about having been in the field for two years. Or with the clearly intended pre-TMP timeframe of The Wounded Sky and My Enemy, My Ally in their original editions. It's a bit of an anomaly.

12. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I thought the passage stated that Kirk had to de-admiral himself every time the Enterprise left for a mission by filling out a bunch of paperwork.

--Captain Terrell

13. Christopher

I think you're conflating two separate things that are mentioned consecutively.

The demotion is described only as something that happened after he did the mission paperwork, not because of it.

The preceding paragraph shows how glad he is to be "no 'Admiral,' nothing fancy, just 'Captain' again, as God intended. It was a great relief." Which suggests that it's not a routine back-and-forth thing, that he's finally a captain again after a fair period as admiral.

I suppose the letter of the text isn't overtly incompatible with your reading, but it seems quite a stretch to me.

14. DarrenTR1970

I could never understand the reasoning behind McCoy's age either. In the first edition of the TNG companion under the Encounter at Farpoint entry it's said that the Admiral's age was going to be 144 which when subtracted from 2364 gives us the year 2220 making McCoy the same age as DeForest Kelly give or take a year. The McCoy entry in DC Comics Who's Who in Star Trek also says McCoy was 45 when he joined the Enterprise.
    I think part of the confusion goes back to the third season and the episode 'The Way to Eden' which was supposed to introduce Joanna McCoy. I think it was Fred Freibeger who vetoed the idea saying that McCoy and Kirk were "contemporaries", and that McCoy didn't have a daughter, even though Kelly was 11 years older than Shatner.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  15. Christopher

There was no reasoning. Like I said, when "Farpoint" was written, the chronology hadn't been worked out yet. Remember, in the same episode, Data said he was "Class of '78" at the Academy. The 2364 date was not coined until the last episode of the first season, "The Neutral Zone." That episode was shot during the '88 writers' strike, and thus it had to be shot from a first draft, so the producers were pretty much stuck with that calendar year, regardless of whether it fit their actual intentions. So it was pretty much by accident that McCoy ended up being years younger than he should have.

16. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, when composing my TOS chronology, I pretty much ignore that date (or rather, give it as much credence as Data's "class of '78", which I think was derived from the Spaceflight Chronology dates). I much prefer the TOS creator intent of McCoy being 10-15 years older than Kirk.

17. DarrenTR1970

Hello there,
    I’d thought I’d post my updated version of the ‘Rihannsu’ novels chronology. I’ve moved a couple of items around but I’m still keeping it in 2276-2277 in deference to McCoy’s age in ‘The Romulan Way.’

C. SPRING – 2276
    Stardate: 9250
    The Wounded Sky

C. SEPTEMBER – 2276
    Stardates: 304.6–2816.3
    My Enemy, My Ally

JANUARY – 2277
    January 20 – Stardates: 7815.3–7816.1
    Covenant Of The Crown, The – Note: Chapter 1 begins on McCoy’s 50th birthday. It’s been 17-18 years since Kirk’s last visit to Shad.

JULY/AUGUST – 2277
    July 31+
    Doctor’s Orders

C. SEPTEMBER – 2277
    The Romulan Way – Note: McCoy is 50 (Chapter 3). He’s on a three week vacation (which is interrupted) following the events of the last novel. Runs approximately one to two weeks.

C. OCTOBER – 2277
    Stardates: 7416.664–7468.55
    Spock’s World – Note: I moved this to October 2277 to keep it internally consistent with the references to the previous novels. The timeframe here is very tight what with the novel opening up with the Enterprise having spent one month in orbit of Earth being refitted/resupplied. ‘The Romulan Way’ could end in mid-September and ‘Spock’s World’ could open up in mid-October, allowing for 7-10 days for the events to happen, ending in late October 2277.

C. NOVEMBER – 2277
    Swordhunt – Note: Chapter 1 opens in ‘November’ pg. 18. It takes '4 days 14 hours to alpha Arietis at warp 6'; then '5 days, 20 hours to 15 Trianguli’ (Chapter 1), Chapter 5 opens up approximately 6 days later so all told this novel spans approximately 17+ days. Also ‘The Wounded Sky’ is set 1-3 years ago according to K's't'lk's age. (pg. 58)
    Honor Blade

C. DECEMBER – 2277
    The Empty Chair

P.S.
    A couple of more items – Chapter 14 of ‘The Genesis Report’ in ‘The Genesis Wave Volume 1’ dates the explosion of Praxis to June of 2293. According to the diary entries made by Amanda Greyson in the novel ‘Sarek’, that novel begins on September 16, 2293, one month after the Khitomer Conference in ‘Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country’, which means that ‘The Undiscovered Country’ occurs sometime around August 15+ 2293.

18. Christopher

Didn't we establish already that My Enemy, My Ally refers to The Wounded Sky as "our last mission," making them immediately consecutive?

19. ryan123450

Darren I'm still not following why you moved Spock's World to after The Romulan Way. Why specifically did you decide to do that?

Glad to know about that exact date for STVI. I'll note that in my chronology as well.

20. Christopher

We discussed this earlier in the thread. The Romulan Way was published first, and the historical material in Spock's World builds on the foundations of the historical material in TRW. While the stories are ambiguous enough that they possibly could work the other way around, there's no reason I can think of to reverse them.