(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Champions League week and its going to be a cracker of 48 hours for football...

Liverpoool vs. Chelsea

Barcelona vs. Man Utd

For me I think Liverpool are capable of winning 1-0 at Anfield to give them a massive advantage.

Man Utd will for me most likely get a draw away though I think a defeat will not hurt there chances because I feel Man Utd will crush Barcelona at Old Trafford.

My money is still on a Man Utd/Liverpool FINAL and a 3rd EURO cup for Manchester United.

3. Hitman

Hitman Vice Admiral Admiral

Liverpool ties the game - as it was own goal, two seconds away from the end, in injury time. Unbelievable!

4. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Courtesy of the RAWK

:lol:
    Hmm if I am John Arne Riise I am definitely taking the most immediate flight out of Merseyside tonight.

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Well what a mistake by Riise and for me that is the worst mistake I have ever seen a top class defender make. What was he thinking going for a diving header :confused:

If he can't just lump a ball away with his weaker foot then he should not be playing football, there is no excuse for any pro footballer not being able to just simply kick away a ball with his weaker foot.

That own goal is probably the goal that sends Liverpool out of the Champions League and even more surprising was how bad Riise has gotten these days because in 2005 & 2006 for me he was one of the best left backs in the Premier League.

6. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was a terrible mistake. I was half watching since it was the end of injury time and couldn't quite comprehend what happened until I rewound the Tivo and took a look. But to make a mistake that deep in injury time was pub side stuff. But, I am also in the belief that Liverpool can pull it back. I don't rate Average Grant as a tactician, his substitutions sometimes baffle me, and I have a feeling that United are going to break the Bridge home streak this weekend and the wheels are going to come off of Chelsea's season.

7. Hitman

Hitman Vice Admiral Admiral

Goalless tie between Barcelona and Manchester United, with a missed penalty by Ronaldo (I bet it was the fault of his new Spanish girlfriend :D ). I see my hopes of a Liverpool, United final fading rapidly.

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Man Utd should over-turn Barcelona who my god need to learn to shoot...

Also I hate MARQUEZ, he is the dirtest CB in Europe and should of been sent off. He played the same against Henry in the 2006 CL final and my god he's just a poor excuse for a player.

9. TheArsenal

Shocking penalty miss by the Show Pony. In fairness, as the announcers pointed out, it was his second touch of the game, his first being a header. Barca dominated possession and shots on goal and were unlucky not to score. Except for the first 20 minutes, United never looked dangerous (in part because Ferguson had Rooney playing so deep). Barely got the ball out of their half. In fact, I didn't know Tevez was even on the pitch until he fouled some half hour in. Did he get a touch all game?

Nevertheless, they'll likely get it done at Old Trafford.

I've watched Henry a bit since his move to Spain. On a good day he looks moody and disinterested. On a bad day much worse. But bring the Old Enemy in and we saw a bit of the Henry of Arsenal. He has to get the start over Deco in the away leg.

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Rangers hang in there after a gutsy 0-0 draw and the more time for them to get back key players the better. I do still feel they will go out but they have the bid advantage of the away goal rule should they score in the 2nd leg.

The dark horese Zenitt, grabbed a 1-1 draw and an away goal and for me Munich will struggle to win away and maybe just maybe Rangers have a big shot to win the UEFA Cup because a Zenitt final would be better than a Bayern one.

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Just a heads up...

Since Euro 2008 is almos upon us. I will stick up a thread for that on May 24th (2 weeks before it starts).

Anyway back to the football season and Man Utd vs. Chelsea today which will probably decide the EPL and also ain't the Barcelona/Real Madrid derby soon ?

Some transfer news...

12. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

CL tonight and tommorow so people who are you calling to make it to MOSCOW 2008.

For me MAN UTD will creep past Barcelona 2-1 and against my better Judgement I think Liverpool will beat Chelsea but it may go down to a penalty shootout.

13. TheArsenal

Well ... as you can see in the Premier League Game threads my picks haven't been the most accurate of late ... but ...

United are the better team. Even so, the nil nil draw in Spain makes the Old Trafford match tricky. Barcelona could nick a goal and make things interesting. Last week Barca played about the best they have all season and rested virtually their entire team over the weekend. If they get the early goal, anything can happen as United open up. I am going out on a limb say Barca narrowly slide through (which surely means United will win it).

I think Liverpool were killed by that own goal and seem to know it (Did you hear John Arne Riise was arrested? Caught on the M62 heading the wrong way). Chelsea have goals in them at home, don't lose at the Bridge, so they should get it done.

14. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Barcelona to do United, and Chelsea to see off Liverpool IMO.

Chelski Vs Barce final I think.

I can see Barcelona scoring first at OT, and although United may pull it back I don't see them winning. Away goals will do for them.

Liverpool will struggle at Stamford Bridge and I fully expect them to see off Liverpool pretty comfortably. 2-0.

15. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, that was an interesting first half.

I think United started pretty poorly. We looked a bit scared to play. But when that goal went in (and what a bloody strike from Scholesy), we started to play our game, Barca looked rattled and we were pushing them and putting a decent amount of pressure on them. But then, for some reason, it just stopped, and United started letting Barca play again, and that turned the last 10 minutes or so into a bit of a nervy episode.

We need to come out strong in the second half and really take the game to them, otherwise they're just gonna chip away at us and nick a goal. We seriously can't afford to let them score at all, and that is gonna be difficult in of itself.

16. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great goal by Scholes, albeit a bit of a gift from Zambrotta.

If United let Barcelona monopolise possession in the second half like they did in the last 10 minutes of the first half then they could be in trouble.

I still think 1-1 and Barcelona to go through.

17. Servo

Jesus, this game is taking years off my life.

Tevez's work rate in this second half is awesome.

18. Servo

Thank god for that. I'm knackered myself now.

19. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

Decent win for United there - and while I don't usually support other British teams in the CL by default, I wanted them through.

Barcelona never truly threatened. Just a lot of ultimately useless pressure.

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Telling me, I never used the change channel button so much in my life :lol: