The Lone Ranger

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gojira, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I am surprised no one is talking about this one. The reviews are really bad. It only has a 17% rating at RT.com. I still want to see it but I will wait for the DVD. I guess the complaints are that it is too long, Jony Depp is playing Jack Sparrow as Tonto and that the Lone Ranger himself seems out of character. It really feels like a Tonto/Depp movie instead.

2. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

It's the John Carter of 2013! 215 million to make, seriously?

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

-Depps paycheck
    -A semi functioning town
    -A working railroad
    -They built their own train

If this fails expect the big budget version of Westerns to be dead.

No one will greenlit a western that big again. At best you're looking at a future with small 50 million dollar western movies

4. Gojira

I may like it then because I did like John Carter! I guess it really has wonderful scenery and a lot of CGI expensive sets and costumes. So, I gues that explains the price tag.

The last Lone Ranger film, The legend of the Lone Ranger, bombed back in 1981 and I think that if this one bombs too then it may be a long time, if ever, we see the Lone Ranger on the big screen again.

Too bad, I grew up watching the old TV series and I still love it.

5. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

In addition, I've read that parents who have seen it already took their younger children thinking it would be appropriate for kids and there was a scene in which someone rips out a guys heart and proceeds to eat it - graphically.

Parents were walking out of the theatre with their crying children after that scene.

6. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Disney is trying to make this into a franchise. I would ask if targeting a western to today's young audience is a wise move?

7. DarthTom

Huffington

8. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hooray!

9. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly my point, it is really a dead genre these days.

10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Mask Of Zorro is pretty much the last decent one and that was ages ago.

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

This is out already? I had no idea?

I have Zero interest in a Lone Ranger parody, and I'm surprised they are still investing Big Budgets into these parodies of old TV shows. Haven't they all failed pretty badly? Starsky and Hutch, Land of The Lost, Green Hornet, Dark Shadows...

12. DarthTom

I think the studio was banking the the popularity of Johnny Depp with younger audiences and the Pirates was so successful which was also a parody and a re-hash.

Disney's mistake IMO was western's not equal to pirates.

13. Gojira

I didn't hear about that!! You would think that with such failure at the movies with the Lone Ranger the studio would have taken more care to see that this would have been a better movie.

14. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Well Pirates were not something we saw much of over the past 20-30 years in big films. So, in some ways it was new to a lot of people, especially the younger crowd. Also, we had a very large supernatural element in 'Pirates' that thrust it into the fantasy genre as well.

15. DarthTom

Read up - also apparently cannibal rabbits. :wtf:

16. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Everything I've seen about this movie looks terrible. I'm surprised to hear that reviewer describe the action sequence with the train as such a great, polished set-piece, because it looked regoddamndiculous in the trailers. Maybe that and the quirkiness might make it somewhat redeemable, but this is probably a wait for video for me.

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I would have loved to have seen a proper, big budget Lone Ranger movie, but the way the critics describe it makes it sound WAY too much like the Pirates sequels for my taste-- bloated, way too long, unnecessarily convoluted with too many boring subplots and side characters, and cartoonish, over the top action you don't believe a second of.

And the way they turned the Lone Ranger himself into a bumbling idiot just makes me want to punch someone.

Granted, the critics weren't too kind to MOS either, which I loved. But at least that movie wasn't made by the team behind the Pirates sequels. ;)

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I don't know that I would I put Pirates of the Carribean in the same class though. It was it's own thing, wasn't it? These Old TV shows Parodies I am referring to, most of them were dramas, and for some reason, they believed a parody of those Drama TV shows would bring in a large nostalgia crowd (Unless there was an old Pirates of the Carribean TV Show that was a drama being parodied)

19. Gojira

I agree with everything you have said! I was looking forward to a good big budget Lone Ranger movie and what bothers me the most that they turned the Lone Ranger, the main character into a buffoon!!

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does Tonto even say "Kemo Sabe" once during this thing?