George & Bill's "Feud"

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Amaris, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I hate to say it, but that's what I've been thinking, too. I do like George Takei. I follow him on Facebook, I think he has good things to say, especially when advocating for same sex rights and such, but every time he talks about William Shatner, my heart sinks just a little bit more. It's like finding out the nice teacher you liked in high school liked to scream at the mailman for no good reason. Why can't he just leave it alone? It gets people to pay attention, but he doesn't need that kind of attention.

2. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thread Drift 101:

As I recall, Rand called the plant "Beauregard" and said it was male, while Sulu called it "Gertrude" or something, and insisted it was female. I'll have to go check my season set.

3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Other more or less memorable Sulu moments:

• Sulu was stuck down on the planet in "The Enemy Within."
    • Sulu was in command fighting the Gorn ship while Kirk was down on Cestus III.
    • Mirror Sulu was a badass.

4. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's funny, I saw an article somewhere this week with George claiming that the "feud" only flares up when Shatner wants to promote a project.

The sum total of this short article was "It's Shatner's fault...he uses my name for publicity...oh and catch me in my new play opening x/x/xx in New York". :lol:

I truly hope at this point they are just playing off each other for publicity. They were both part of something very special, and there aren't many left who can say they were on that show...it would be nice if they were friends deep down, but it seems at least one of them has some serious antipathy to the other, and the other really couldn't care less. Sad, but that's life, some people never let go of this kind of thing.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The only time I hear this stuff brought up, it is brought up by Takei.

6. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Which says a lot about whose problem this is. I remember Shatner talking about Takei once in recent memory. Every other time their feud's been brought up, it's because Takei started yapping.

--Sran

7. Amaris

Amaris Guest

^ Exactly. I have, not once, heard Bill ever bring up Takei, either for good or for bad. Either someone has asked him about George, to which his response is usually to brush it aside, while George will often bring up Shatner in interviews, even when not asked. It has always been George that brings it up. The one time Shatner spoke extensively on the subject was when someone asked about George and Brad's wedding, and Bill mentioned that he never got the invitation. Takei, of course, claims he sent one. Now, I believe Takei did send Bill an invitation, but I also believe that Bill never got it.

Takei claimed it was Bill's "modus operandi" to make it look like he never got the invitation, but a modus operandi requires understanding of the subject, and their motives, and quite frankly, if anyone is going to use drama to push their own agenda, it's George, and again I say that someone who loves George Takei.

8. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Can help but thinking that if Sulu's look and general demeanor had been similar to Mirror Sulu right from the start Takei might have gotten more screen time and interesting dialog.

9. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

He didn't, though. He couldn't remember Walter's name even when Trek V was about to come out.

Shatner's ego is not a matter of debate, folks. He himself has admitted to it and has tried to make amends, which only goes so far because he can't change who he is.

10. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

When you get to Bill's age, the amount of people you pissed off who are still alive start to dwindle.

If Doohan were still alive, it would be brought up more often.

DeForest also was hurt once by Shatner's flippant reaction to his dog's death.

Whether people like George should hold a grudge or not is a relevant issue, sure, but Shatner has been guilty of being a douche on many occasions which has nothing to do with how much star billing people have and everything to do with just how well you treat other fellow human beings.

11. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A starring performer doesn't have "feuds" with ensemble players. They have feuds with other stars. This whole thing smacks of Takei trying to escalate his importance on the show to be equal with Shatner's, which it wasn't. Bette Davis & Joan Crawford had a feud. Takei has a grudge. Of the two, Shat isn't the one who needs amped up publicity. He still WORKS

Shatner has an ego problem? He's in $HOWBIZ! Gimme a break. It's a world populated by that very type. He's nothing compared to the cop chastisers & bucket pissers we have today. An occasional, debatable & likely overblown snub from 35-50 years ago? Please. Cut the stunt. Nobody is buying it anymore.

12. BillJ

Takei was accusing Shatner of bringing up the feud to drum up publicity. The only time I hear of this feud is when Takei brings it up.

It has nothing to do with whose still alive.

I, for one, don't care about this. Everyone has worked with douchebags and most of us are able to get over it and move on with our lives. I suggest it is time for George Takei to move on. He hasn't worked with Shatner in any capacity for nearly twenty-five years.

13. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess the same can be said about Takei, eh? Well, except maybe for the "has tried to make amends" part. ;)

14. BillJ

Why would he? He's turned complaining about Shatner into a personal road to validity.

15. Captain Clark Terrell

Right. If Shatner had gone out of his way to bad-mouth Takei and prevent him from finding work, I'd be more sympathetic to the latter's point of view. But Takei seems to be doing well and doesn't need the publicity his feud with Shatner has generated, nor do the rest of us need to hear about his relationship with a colleague whom he worked with several years ago.

I don't know George Takei personally, but it does not appear as though he's gone through anything in his life that most people haven't faced themselves. The difference between him and most people is that his status as a celebrity means his life events are more likely to draw the attention of the media. He should be happy with the life he's lived--he's Captain Hikaru Sulu, for goodness sakes--and not continue dredging up his problems with another person.

--Sran

16. T'Girl

Well, there's that whole Japanese internment camp experience during the second world war.

But you know, other than that ...meh.

17. Captain Clark Terrell

My apologies. I did not realize that his family was among those affected by our country's actions during WWII.

--Sran

18. T'Girl

I didn't know about it myself until I read his autobiography a while back.

19. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We've all had those mental blocks, and for an actor that would be quite embarrassing! As far as knowing the full names of his co-workers, I've tended not to know the full names of the people I've worked with over the years - unless I needed to. Why would Shatner need to know Takei's surname? He's not doing the accounting, he's just working with him on a soundstage. "George" is good enough.

20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you don't get along with someone, some times small things can appear to be slights.

Regardless, the "feud" seems like little more than occasional media hype.

Oh well. We're still talking about it, so maybe the joke is on me ;)