Who would have had to quit their job to look after baby Miral?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Guy Gardener, May 19, 2013.

?

Who requisitioned 7 years worth of maternity leave?

1. Tom?

13 vote(s)
    81.3%
  2. B'Elanna?

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dogs can kill people.

A weave is what Americans call "hair extensions".

Racial profiling would have me believe that African American women are obsessed by this tech.

Racial profiling is immoral.

Dogs can also run away and the police don't care.

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Neither. The kid would be with his hedgehog nanny during the day.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Miral is a girl and the hedgehog has left the building.

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Right, forgot the timeline we were talking about happened after Neelix left.

But even without him, you don't need to resort to holograms. Voyager functions like a small village. People help each other out. In the cases where Tom and B'elana are both on duty at the same time, they'd leave her with somebody who isn't. Sam Wildman didn't leave her role in the ship: Naomi was raised by the community.

5. teacake

Imagine if she fell over and scratched herself on some gewgaw you had in your quarters and you had to hand her back to B'Elanna and explain this.

I'm thinking getting babysitters might become increasingly difficult. Also, Klingon toddler tantrums.

6. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

I think Harry would make a wonderful manny.

Actually, considering "Before and After" maybe not.

7. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

I was always surprised there weren't more babies being born on Voyager. I guess 24th century contraception is fail-proof, but I would think in that timeline at least a few more people would decide to procreate, which would necessitate a 1701-D-style daycare/school eventually.

In the mean time, leave the baby with Samantha. She's had practice, and she's never at work anyway.

8. teacake

Women can procreate at least into their 50's according to Crusher's pregnancy in the books, and they live a lot longer. I would think after the 12 year mark people might start thinking, this is it, we are here for decades. And then make that kind of decision. At 7 years they were probably still holding out for more ideal circumstances.

9. Guy Gardener

Naomi looked 10 by the time she was 5, so might have likely looked 20 by the time she was 10.

Kim could have been a problem.

New theory.

All that growing would have required a massive amount of energy.

Two possibilities...

1. Naomi slept twice as long/Napped much more often than human children.
    2. Naomi was always eating, which is why she was always in the mess and always with Neelix.
    (3.) A little of column A, a little of Column B.

10. Guy Gardener

In Ds9 we discovered that Humans get a shot every month.

If both the man and the woman forget, or chose not to, they rebecome fertile.

How they phrased it Didn't you get your shot this month? I forgot, what about you? I guess i forgot too... Has me think that this is something they can't do themselves and have to go to a medical professional for the undertaking of.

1 month.

The Killing Game lasted a month.

In the disasterpod/Survival kit they packed for Janeway and Chakotay on the Resolutions planet... What's the rationality behind packing or not packing "contraceptives" if they're going to be alone on that planet together forever?

Surely giving Chakotay a 24th century vasetomy would have saved on space, unless he wanted to make babies with Janeway?

11. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I love how so many people chose Tom, including me. :lol:

12. Jaro Stun

Jaro Stun Captain Captain

nobody. They would arrange their shifts and there is always Neelix (who knows if he didnt return 2 episodes later in the unaltered timeline lol)

13. Guy Gardener

She's chief engineer, and he's chief helmsman.

On top of actually piloting and tinkering, there's twice that much time out of every day where they're supposed to administrate and fill out paperwork. Crew evaluations, citations, demotions, constructing duty shifts. Stuff. Is Tom's job to plot the course as much as remark on how shitty the course they have followed has been? It seems like it should have been Toms job but somehow I feel that Harry did it, even though there was a stellar cartography division on Voyager in the earlier seasons before it was made redundant by astrometrics and Seven started being responsible for the course.

They can be a helmsman or an engineer with reduced hours, but they can't be chief.

Of course they could just put the baby in stasis when they're at work? It could take 40 years for the kid to turn 3.

That has to be child abuse.

14. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was the only one who didn't! :p

15. Guy Gardener

It's not like Carey was sneaking into the Paris quarters at night, then poking holes in their condoms so that he could get Engineering back because she's a dead certain to stay on maternity leave forever... Oh? Isn't that a truly sexist idea for a sitcom?

"Maternity Leave Forever."

16. teacake

I'm seeing a lot of Tom Paris with screaming wet baby and poo jokes in the future of this show.

17. Guy Gardener

He'd actually have more of valid claim to keep out in the work force if he was primarily the ships medic/nurse than just the helmboy.

Besides the ship didn't suffer at all when he was busted down to Ensign.

I remember a novel where Sulu was trying to figure out his future "Sure if Kirk's captain, I feel that I want to pilot his Enterprise, but Kirk's going to move on eventually and then I'm going to be 40 and steering the ship for some punk 20 year old telling me what to do. The only way I'm going to be happy is if I'm the punk in charge telling people what to do."

18. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    By this time, Icheb is the only Borg kid left, and he's busy studying for Starfleet entrance exams.

Not to mention, Sam probably owes a ton of babysitting favors to a lot of people.

A lot of fanfic has Tal Celes as the person chosen to be the nanny for whichever couple ends up being parents (Tom & B'Elanna, Janeway & Chakotay, Seven & Chakotay, etc.). The Doctor can always add a nanny/Early Childhood subroutine to his programming, and I could see Janeway allowing B'Elanna to keep a crib tucked away in a corner of the Ready Room if they have to be on duty for long stretches. The question is really what would happen if there was a terrible emergency of some kind - would the parents be able to keep their minds on their duties and not automatically rush off to look after the kid. That's why it would be critical to choose someone level-headed to be the babysitter/nanny.

Why Tuvok didn't point out early on how logical it would be for the crew to start having children is beyond me. It's as if Janeway actually expected to still be able to function as Captain 70 years later and not need a new generation of crew to help out... :rolleyes:

Actually, they should get Chakotay to babysit. It's not like he does anything useful around there anyway.

19. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay, here's a solution. Promote Harry to Lieutenant and have Janeway assign him as Chief Babysitting Officer.

20. cheesepuff316

cheesepuff316 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Ok, so The Doctor isn't made of flesh and blood but he is still just as much part of the crew as anyone. As long as the child knows who her parents are, I see no problem with a holographic nanny - imagine the fun you could have with the doctor if he didn't have his duties.
    I'm sure loads of other crew members would happily look after the baby whilst her parents were at work.
    Naomi Wildman? She'd have made an amazing babysitter - she did quite well helping Seven rediscover humanity. How did Sam Wildman cope? Others must have helped.......
    Seven of Nine? ok, so she's not the perfect choice, but it'd help develop nurturing - not sure B'Elanna would trust her with the baby, as they were at each others throats when Seven came aboard... but maybe she and someone else could watch the baby.
    Surely when the child was older, she could start helping basically - Dad could teach her how to fly the ship, Mum to teach all the technobabble.