Fallout 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Haggis and tatties, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Anthony Sabre

Anthony Sabre Commodore Commodore

I just played this game for the first time ever, today. Everything was going well until it was time to escape from the vault. I ran into Butch and his mother was trapped with the Radroaches. I was going to help her but I couldn't figure out how. Meanwhile the quest info said that I should go back to my desk and get my things, which I did. When I walked up to Butch again he said his mother had died and I could have helped her and it was my fault. He vowed revenge or something. I didn't know what to do... so I shot him.

Sorry Butch, but as Elim Garak once said, "Always burn your bridges behind you. You never know who might be trying to follow." Picked up my first bit of bad karma with that. Not sure what to make of it.

2. Brandonv

Brandonv Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Was it because you couldn't find her? When you get a quest, a marker will appear on your compass, showing you which direction to walk. Also, you can see the marker on your Pipboy's map.

3. Anthony Sabre

Yes, that was the main reason. I figured out later that all I probably needed to do was open the door and kill the roaches. I haven't gotten this engrossed in a game in awhile. 3 hours slipped by before I realized it. I disarmed the bomb in Megaton but I killed Moriarty for trying to jerk me around about my dad. I still got the house and good karma. Then I ended up killing the towns folk in Arefu. Now on to D.C. to see what else I can learn.

Still blows me away that the game offers so many different paths to take. Never played a game quite like it.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  4. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

After doing few main quest related things in DC (especially fixing the radio station, so that you'll have something nice to hear besides president's ramblings) you can forget about the main quest and do everything else. There are tons of stuff to do in the game besides the main quest.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  5. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DOH! shouldn't have done that. :)

6. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds like you're off to a good start, unpredictability is one of the great things about Fallout 3. If you'd followed Butch, he would have taken you to his him and you could have killed the radroaches.

Yikes. I didn't kill Moriarty, but I did blow Mr. Burke away with the help of Lucas Simms (had to act quick though Simms has a glass jaw).

You HORRIBLE PERSON! You killed the folks at Arefu! I don't really agree with PKerr in that you shouldn't have done that (freedom of choice makes the game interesting, and it's great to share different stories) but I hear where he's coming from, Arefu would probably have served you better left intact.

Also, I agree with folks about deviating from the main quest, feel free to do the main quest line every 10 or 15 hrs, but Bethesda are great at making compelling side missions.

For my part, I just rescued Reilly's Ranges and wandered into a gaggle of super mutants, at least 10 of them. Good thing I'm a stimpak hoarder, I had to dip into my reserve of 120 and use up all my Nuka cola's. After that I stumbled across Vault-Tec HQ, going to check it out after I dump some stuff at the Ranger HQ.

7. PKerr

I hooked up with Reilly's Rangers as well, they were my home away from home :) I stored a bunch of stuff there.

I'll tell ya I had so much fun with that game I bought every bit of of the DLC and if they offered new DLC tomorrow, I'd buy that too. :D

8. dragunzng

^ Too true, I lost my 100+hr save but I'm now 35 hrs in again, I haven't finished the game yet but I'm going to be getting all the DLC and I can't wait for Fallout: Vegas.

9. PKerr

Yeah, I hope Fallout: Vegas doesn't disappoint as well.

10. Brandonv

Wait a minute, it's possible to save Lucas Simms!? After reloading my quicksave several times, I concluded that Lucas dieing must be a scripted event, if you choose to have him confront Burke. No matter how quick I was, I never could save Lucas.

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's possible. The trick is to VATS the second Simms turns his back. If you don't have the skill or firepower to kill him outright, the best thing to do is shoot the weapon out of his hand, it'll by you and Simms time to finish him off.

12. dragunzng

What I did was approach Burke, talk to him, run down to tell Lucas, and then race back before he got there. Once I was inside the place I started shooting Burke repeatedly in the face, by the time Lucas arrived Burke was all pulpy. Seriously, Simms goes down far to easy otherwise.

13. Brandonv

It looks like my mistake was thinking that I couldn't attack Mr. Burke until he drew his gun on Simms, because he appeared green in VATS before then. I thought if I attacked him while green, everyone in Megaton would become hostile.

14. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Throughout the game there are certain locations where you trigger random encounters upon entering from a certain angle.
    This was one of those random encounters.
    If you had waited a bit, the raiders would have started beating the unarmed dude with baseball bats and stuff.
    Common theory is that this is supposed to be some kind of raider initiation ritual.

15. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The surefire way to deal with Burke and have no fatalities is to be female and use the Black Widow speech option on him. He leaves town peacefully and then you start receiving love letters from him every so often when you stop by Moriarity's. :lol:

16. Anthony Sabre

Finished up the Fire Ant investigation mission and hit level 9 tonight. I've been doing a lot of exploring, unlocking the ability to fast travel to all the way points I can see on the map. Super Mutants have gotten easy but are still fun to kill. Headed for Rivet City now.

It's kind of weird seeing all the corpses everywhere. Seems like the should decompose or something. Moriarty is still right where I left him: outside of Gob's Saloon. :lol:

17. Brandonv

They do disappear after a while.

18. dragunzng

Weird. Interesting, but weird.

Darn, now I wish I hadn't been so quick to shoot!

Try not to rely on fast travel too much, it's convenient, but you can miss a lot of locations if you use it for EVERYTHING.

I've been on a bit of a fallout break the past week, getting reacquainted with Uncharted 2's co-op. Going to get back to fallout this week.