Star Trek: Sigils and Unions--The Thirteenth Order

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Nerys Ghemor, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    Oh, I'm obviously so smart that I can outmaneuver myself whilst standing still. A rare feat.

I knew that there was something familiar about that name, maybe its his late uncle from Korta II...

(BTW, my preceding sentence above is a shout out to a famous American author, can anyone guess who?;))

2. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

The planet is Kora II--but yes...it's a reference to Harris Yulin, who played Marritza. He did so well I felt he should get a tribute, even though it was a walk-on role. ;)

3. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    I see I have a lot of catching up :)

Just read the first part and enjoyed it. I always liked Macet and it's great that he returns both in "official" novels and fan-fics.

4. Nerys Ghemor

This is still a WIP, but I hope you'll enjoy. :)

5. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked Spirodopoulos's interaction with the kid...but I'm not convinced Starfleet's as against religious references as you may let on, Nerys. After all, Chakotay was completely comfortable with discussing his beliefs with others on Voyager....

That being said, it was a wonderful scene.

Also, a nice touch, Macet's headaches--and possible asthma. It's a tribute to his strength, I must say, that he can overcome this "weakness" and command men despite it.

Daro's thoughtfull reflection is also good--slowly paced, though that is very much the mark of a patient, quiet professor-type.

Looking forward to what is in store for the funeral.

6. Thor Damar

Agreed on the Daro analysis there RL. As a quiet man myself (who has been compared to George Harrison, the quiet Beatle, at least in terms of personalty and vague similarity of looks), I have always found Glinn Daro's reserve and understatement to be a refreshing change to the blustering egomanics of the Central Command.

Prehaps I should have called myself Thor Daro:rommie:

7. Nerys Ghemor

Why that is, is a whole other discussion and not one I want to have here.

Thanks. :) It's not normally as pronounced as it got when he was about to rebel, but it definitely affected him.

That's definitely how I see Daro, and how he came off onscreen.

Thanks!

8. Nerys Ghemor

This should be a book title!

9. Thor Damar

If I ever get round to writing the History of Cardassia in the mid to late 24th century then I'll use that very title.;)

{satire}Of course, with a slight change in the wording, it could work of a history of any Earth Nation{satire}

10. Gul Re'jal

And I am going to patiently wait for continuation, but first have to catch up all these chapters here :)

11. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

^You're a lucky lass, Gul. Some of us have been waiting for new instalment for what seems like the beginning of time....;)

(And this comming from a fellow who has himself joined pretty late! :p)

12. Nerys Ghemor

Hey! I DID have The Desolate Vigil to finish, and I got it done. ;)

13. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah, but as good as the Desolate Vigil was (and it was superb) I believe this work of fiction is equal or better than the alphabet soup of the Great Science Fiction Writers(TM) Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke.

If you put this much effort into a piece of original fiction, I guarantee that it would be an international bestseller before you could blink.

14. Nerys Ghemor

The one thing this has in its favor is length...but honestly, it's not hard sci-fi like those guys. I have no idea if I will ever get a truly publishable original idea (and salable is a whole other question), but I thank you for your kind words, and for reading. :)

15. Gul Re'jal

So hereby I join the wait :)

And I can't keep my promisel I will not patiently wait for continuation. It's too good and I'm too curious what is going to happen :)

16. Nerys Ghemor

All right...here's the next section! I hope you guys enjoy this!

BTW, I am not going to provide a grammatical breakdown of the Cardassian-language section. I found that apparently some of the vocabulary is getting around the Internet, and while I don't mind THAT, I am debating whether or not I actually want to release a full grammar as I had originally intended.

The Mendral shown here is the Sigils-universe version of the same character seen in the SigCat stories as a Starfleet officer.

The armor and pike of the Honor Vigil may be seen here.

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=106368

---------

Eleven hours after the Battle of Lessek
    Kounamab/McAllister Nebula
    The Lessek Gălor

When the groaning of the cargo bay doors opening echoed off of the cavernous walls of the cargo bay aboard the new Gălor, the low murmurs of those who gathered there came to a stop. Even the guls who were in attendance grew silent—for Daro came here not just on his own behalf, but that of Gul Macet as well. And though Speros might be the senior gul by age and tenure, it was Macet and Berat who were the heart of the rebellion. And now Spirodopoulos, Daro reminded himself. For the terhăn-çăs, for the Starhvliyt-çăs—he means even more than Macet or any of the other guls means to us.

Macet remained aboard the Trager, for if Dominion forces or the Cardassians who still served them should find them—never mind that the new ship was the strongest in their fleet and the Trager and Sherouk’s enhanced sensors showed nothing approaching the nebula as of yet. They could not forget the risk of a strike that destroyed the command staff while it was all gathered in one place. So for now, in this place it was Daro who would lead the memorial ceremony on his commander’s behalf.

There were no stasis caskets in this cargo bay as there ordinarily would have been; to many Cardassians, their number led by Gul Speros, it was the ultimate dishonor for the bodies of their people to be viewed by aliens. Daro understood the protective instinct as well as anyone—the primitive drive to guard the bodies of the dead and see them to an undisturbed resting place where no carrion eaters could desecrate the bodies and no predators could catch the scent of weakness and threaten the rest of the tribe. But that’s just an excuse…these are sentient beings who are here to honor our dead, as well as theirs. It was a shame Speros and his ilk couldn’t be convinced to relent…so the viewings would have to wait.

Daro, though, had offered a suggestion to at least symbolically express the presence of the dead, one that had been accepted: designate two additional officers to wear the armor and mail and bear the pike of the Honor Vigil, and have them attend the memorial service as the ‘representatives’ of the dead. It was the solemn duty of those appointed to this ceremonial guard to stand watch for a shift over the bodies of the fallen, who would never be abandoned by their brothers or sisters while they yet remained unburied.

They entered the cargo hold just behind Daro, assuming their positions at his sides. The cuirass strongly resembled the one worn by the modern military—indeed, this was where the tri-ribbed motif had first originated, nearly two thousand years ago. However, these were made of actual steel, airbrushed to the same dark charcoal-grey as the much lighter modern version. Unlike the modern version, matching plating continued in an overlapping, scale-like pattern under the arms and around the sides, down to the leaved tassets that guarded the hips and pelvic area.

But it was what flowed out from under the cuirass and tassets that was the most striking to the modern eye: it was quite literally a robe of chain mail, flowing from shoulder to the top of the hand, and from beneath the tassets all the way to the ankle; beneath, the steel-tipped boots were visible. The lower portion of the robe parted in the middle, though it overlapped to minimize the exposure of the soldier’s legs even at a run. As it was, every step they took was accompanied by a telltale metallic swish.

In the ancient days of Hebitia, charioteers and infantrymen of Rivçal’s nations had once fought clad in this manner: the chain mail robe served to protect their legs from being cut out from under them, either by the swords of their opponents, or the long, bladed pikes like the ones the Honor Vigil carried now, the height of a man and half again. Such outfits had become obsolete even in the days of Hebitia, long before the spacefaring era, not in the least because—as he well knew from experience—they were incredibly heavy. Standing watch in the traditional manner for an entire shift, with no break for food, drink, or even to relieve oneself was a grueling endeavor.

But there were few honors greater than what Riyăk Mendral and Ragoç Nedav had volunteered to do, to see that those who gave their lives for the sake of the Cardassian Union were never without the dignity and protection they deserved as they journeyed to their final resting place.

Now, Daro ascended the platform that had been shuttled over from the Trager for this occasion. The Honor Vigil stood in mirrored formation at the platform’s sides, their pikes canted at opposite angles away from each other. There was no podium, for as a product of the Cardassian Union’s educational system, he needed no place for notes. And aside from the platform that befitted his standing, he wanted no other separation between him and the others who gathered to honor the dead.

In the front row stood the commanding officers—Gul Rebek of the Romac, Gul Speros and Glinn Hatel of the Ghiletz at each flank. In the center was the Starfleet commander, the human whose tan skin allowed the faint pinkish hue of blood to show as even Daro’s own Hăzăkda sandstone-beige microscales would not. Gul Berat had taken up a position next to the human. And even with his never-truly-still hands tucked behind his back, there was something about the way his star-blue eyes blazed…not the barely-leashed fury of Speros, but an expression that almost seemed to will strength and encouragement to those who stood in his bioelectric aura—which included Spirodopoulos. On the human’s other side was the tall Bajoran ensign, Folani, still in her Starfleet combat fatigues and looking for all of Cardassia like the lieutenant commander’s bodyguard.

After a moment for the last few voices among the gathered to fall silent, Daro spoke. He felt the twinges of nervousness deep in his stomach—for the words he would speak were bold: not only to honor the dead, but to crystallize the revolution they now undertook. These were words that would have brought death mere weeks ago. For so many generations Cardassia had lived under such strictures that even to listen to such words carried the penalty of death…either quickly by execution, or slowly by forced labor. Now, he had to speak. And they had to get used to listening. Not all would, of course—and there would be those among the crews of the Thirteenth Order who would have to be watched…and carefully.

Perhaps it would be easier for some to hear this from him, because like Gul Berat after Volan III, he had already once defied. Unusual words, bold words…these were expected from him, or at least, not entirely unaccustomed. He hoped so, anyway—for these words were sorely needed.

“We come to honor those who have sacrificed to the fullest for the sake of all Cardassia,” he began, his quiet, solemn voice amplified by the computer for all to hear. “For those of us who have fought aboard these vessels since the beginning of the war, we have spoken these words many times now—but never voiced our doubts. And for many of us, there was good reason…it would’ve been sedition. But this is what we all knew to be true: it was our highest leaders who committed the ultimate act of sedition against the Cardassian people, by throwing our strength and our very lives into the jaws of the Dominion.

“Today, though…there is no more doubt. We know why it is we have fought, and why these honored fallen have given their lives. And every other sacrifice among our crews since the inception of this war has led to this moment.

“For many of us gathered here…the answer is simple. We do this because we have not forgotten what it means to be Cardassian—because we believe that still means something, no matter what the Dominion puppetmasters have tried to tell us. And no matter what it is we have done to ourselves. This is also because we believe that there is a future in which what makes us great can be expressed more fully than it has been in a long time. That is what gives their sacrifice meaning. What these men and women have done, they have done not for the sake of what Cardassia has become, but what Cardassia ought to be.

“But there are others,” Daro continued, meeting eyes with Lieutenant Commander Spirodopoulos, “who are not obligated by birth as we are. They have been brought to us under difficult circumstances where they surely felt they had little reason to trust us or to care about our fate—and yet they have made the choice that with the rest of their people taken out of the action by the Breen, that they would carry the fight to the very heart of the enemy—for their fight and ours are one. Such an alliance comes with trials; there is no other way. But we have seen what they can do, what they are willing to do.

“Never again must we as Cardassians look at those who do not share our blood as though they have no minds, no virtues like our own…for the blood they have spilled upon a soil foreign to them, not just for the sake of their own, but also for the sake of our freedom, cries out against that notion far more powerfully than you or I ever can. If you still harbor doubts as to their worthiness to stand among us—then I advise you to listen carefully to the reading of the names, or to visit our ships’ sickbays, where people of our world and theirs lay side by side, recovering from their wounds. That is what you have shared. That is what unites us now, and what always will.

“We must give their sacrifice meaning, in the battle ahead, and the rebuilding that will follow. What the mingled blood of the battlefield has united, let no man or woman, no distance or decree, ever drive apart. Let us now hear the names of the fallen and remember our gratitude for the lives of all who have given to the utmost…for Cardassia.”

Daro extended a hand towards Spirodopoulos. The terhăn stepped forward towards the command platform, clutching a padd in his hand. He understood that, with very few exceptions, terhăn-çăs and many other Federation species lacked the eidetic memories that Cardassians were trained for from their earliest childhood. I just hope the naysayers don’t take that as a demerit against him, Daro thought. He gestured for Spirodopoulos to join him on the platform.

Together, they spoke the names of the dead: Daro would recite a few names, then Spirodopoulos would add one of his people of similar rank. Onward they continued until Daro had named the fifty-nine Cardassian rebels and Spirodopoulos the twenty-three Starfleet soldiers who had perished in the attack on Lessek.

They reflected in silence for several moments. Then, with a nod from Daro, Spirodopoulos returned to his place in the front row. Riyăk Mendral stepped forward, the chain mail of his ceremonial armor making just about the only sound in the room. Ragoç Nedav followed suit, the silver in his hair glinting much like the mail, ridges deep, forehead wrinkled, and back straight: the very image of strong, dignified seniority.

Mendral, for his part, also bore the ancient armor well—for almost every time there had been a death aboard the Trager since his posting, he had served a shift with the Honor Vigil the day of the memorial. He had a truly beautiful singing voice…the only reason he had not been granted a musical performance license by the Cultural Ministry, maybe even the more prestigious composition license, was that his military aptitude tests had come up far too high and Central Command had claimed precedence. But the first time he was appointed to the Honor Vigil, Gul Macet sat up and took notice: this would be the one venue in which he could express his gift, for the Cultural Ministry dared not interfere with Guard ceremonies.

Riyăk Mendral began to sing—a haunting chant for the dead that dated back to the earliest days of the Cardassian Union.

Bayçanatiy…bayvakmaliy…
    Kătăr Cardăsa-ra malin-pret ho’olav-pret nou.
    Bayçanatiy ghe’epzayn de’ek.
    May we remember…may we give thanks…
    For these lives to Cardassia in service given.
    May we remember the honored dead.
    Sevokmoliyse, ta’aboun rou’oukou
    Me outikuvtum, vu’urhtoul rou’oukou:
    Bozd’oç çe’enit-cor edikouv-cor metun edek!”
    Give thanks, their friends
    And tremble, their enemies:
    I take strength from my memories!
    “Çonotiy malin-lit de’ekou-lit de’ek
    Vokmoliy malin-lit de’ekou-lit de’ek
    Ves’dolokiy malin-lit de’ekou-lit mivrăk de’ek.
    By our service we remember
    By our service we give thanks
    By our service we set the order aright.
    Tho sezont’oçiyse iscnotos ghep ça’adal tho nou,
    Tho sezont’oçiyse isthotop rhiylac ça’adal tho nou,
    Tho sezont’oçiyse ishosok metun ça’adal-thu hăcet’picatul tho nou.
    Let not death divide us
    Let not sorrow dismay us
    Let not terror drive from us our might.
    Bayçanatiy…bayvakmaliy…
    Kătăr Cardăsa-ra malin-pret ho’olav-pret nou.
    Bayçanatiy ghe’epzayn de’ek.

Riyăk Mendral gave no bow as he concluded—this was not the time to seek the accolades of an audience. Even in the days of the Union, it was still acknowledged that the songs for the dead belonged to their own category and obeyed their own rules: what purpose it served was hard to say these days. Perhaps it was for the living. Perhaps not. It was said there were those who still acknowledged something beyond the visible life—they lived in hiding, but Daro felt rather sure they were not completely extinguished. Perhaps this was the last mark they had left upon the hearts of Cardassians, this remembrance of the departed. And if they were ever to make their return, Daro supposed, this was the time and the place where they would gain their foothold.

Indeed…there were those among the Federation-born soldiers who had bowed their heads in a gesture of reverence that no Cardassian dared show or give official leave for, even at a time like this lest the Obsidian Order and its successor take it as a sign of…heresy against the State, Daro thought. Strange to use a term like that to describe it—but it fits. It was no surprise that Folani and Webene had closed their eyes; such was expected of Bajorans, by and large. But so too did Spirodopoulos. This was a surprise to Daro; as far as he’d known, terhăn-çăs, like Vulcans, Romulans, and arguably the Klingons, held no beliefs. Vulcans had their mysticism, such as it was, and Klingons their oft-cited, seldom-obeyed ‘honor’ code, but neither gave reverence to anything outside themselves in the sense that the old Oralians had.

And the interesting thing, Daro thought to himself, though he still feared that to say it would be to push those around him beyond the degree of heterodoxy that they could take, is that contrary to what our instructors and inquisitors would have us believe, their indulgence in ritual seems not to have compromised their decision-making processes in the slightest. And for an infantryman like Daro, there was no greater trust than the idea that you could count on the man or woman holding their rifle next to you.

And to Glinn Daro’s mind…Spirodopoulos and his people had earned trust. He could not say that yet—he could not officially acknowledge their actions, but to turn a blind eye, at least, was a start. But he had wanted to honor the aliens’ sacrifices in some fashion, even though Speros refused to budge in so many other ways. And that was why he had lobbied so hard for what he was about to do, now that the memorial proper was finished. “Gul Speros, Glinn Hatel,” Daro quietly called, “it is time for the presentation of the ship’s sigil.”

The Ghiletz’ second-in-command, Glinn Hatel, stepped forward in parallel with Gul Speros, who held a steel medallion on a wide-linked chain made wide enough to sit upon the shoulders just beyond the end of the neck ridges. This was the ship sigil, the tangible symbol of command. Since there was no previous commander to pass this ship’s sigil to his successor, the honor belonged to Speros.

But before Speros could make the presentation, there was one more detail that had to be attended to. This ship needed a name. “Commander Spirodopoulos,” Daro announced, “please rejoin me.”

17. Nerys Ghemor

Spirodopoulos blinked rapidly—surprise, concern, uncertainty all flashed across his face, though he tried valiantly to disguise them. Speros seemed to understand what was happening, though his narrow-eyed expression made it clear he disapproved. Hatel, on the other hand—it was hard to tell what the look on his face was intended to convey: shock? Fear of betrayal? Anger? And the gathered Cardassian soldiers, it seemed, were barely restraining themselves from murmuring amongst themselves at this unorthodox, unanticipated move.

“Before the sigil can be awarded,” Daro elucidated, “this ship requires a name. As per tradition, the guls of the Thirteenth Order wish to honor an act of bravery and sacrifice for the sake of the Cardassian Union. I myself bore witness to such an act on the surface of Lessek—a woman with wings of a zerayd who took flight to destroy a Jem’Hadar cannon emplacement, volunteering herself without prompting, in full knowledge that this action would be her last.” Daro locked eyes with Spirodopoulos. The Hăzăkda glinn gave a tiny nod meant for Spirodopoulos alone: Yes—this is what I mean. “Commander…I heard you speak her name just now, and I know you can do it greater justice than I can. Would you please speak it for me again?”

Spirodopoulos swallowed, gazing back at his own people. Then he spoke—his tone soft yet resolute, and perhaps with a hint of wonder at what was to come. “Ensign Ngaer of Ueitii.”

Pokor malinzayn çad,” Daro acknowledged—you do a great service.

Spirodopoulos inclined his head. “Glinayn Daron—tihadpet rouk.” It’s only duty, Glinn Daro. The rapidity of these words to his tongue startled him. True, he was well used to speaking something other than his native language in the line of duty; he’d been raised to speak Greek first—Federation Standard as a foreign language, and he still preferred Greek off-duty, though given their circumstances he hadn’t spoken it for over a month. But now, for this language to emerge so quickly, though incomplete his grasp upon it might still be…it took him aback.

Daro resumed his speech. “It would be difficult to name a ship something we do not pronounce as easily as she, or you, can…and an inadequate memorial. Nor do I believe, if this ship is ever reintegrated into the Cardassian Guard, that such a name would be retained. But the ranking officers here have discussed this and we believe we have a way to honor her, and what your people have done, in a way that has a chance of lasting.

“We name this ship the Zerayd.” The image of a large, birdlike creature with black plumage appeared on a small monitor recessed into the ceiling of the cargo bay…the same monitor Spirodopoulos imagined had once been used to spit government propaganda even when Cardassian ships were out of port. The zerayd seemed almost primitive to human eyes, like many Cardassian animals seemed to species where therapsids or reptiles did not dominate—partly reptilian, partly birdlike, something like the extinct rahnoavis of Earth, but condor-like in size.

Oh, my God. Spirodopoulos felt a lump in his throat. As the zerayd silhouetted itself across the great red Cardassian sun, he could see the symbolism.

Spirodopoulos simply nodded at first, giving himself a second or two to gather his words—he felt not just Daro’s eyes upon him, but those of Gul Speros as well, boring into him as if seeking a core sample by which to take the measure of the man. Spirodopoulos bowed towards Daro and replied simply, “Glinn…you do us a great honor.”

He glanced back over the faces in the crowd. Even Ensign Folani seemed—if not disarmed by the Cardassians’ gesture, then contemplative much as she had been…God, just over a week ago…in the mess hall back on Lessek. Spirodopoulos sought out the eyes of Ensign Rashad—and indeed, they were filled with wonderment. The human commander barely quelled an urge to offer Rashad the reassuring smile he would have had he not stood on this platform where misinterpretation or even offense was so likely: surely this should dispel any fears on Rashad’s part that he grieved insufficiently or dishonored her by grieving for Prashek as well.

Then Gul Speros spoke. “Daro. Spirodopoulos. Tocsot oça’adep edek.” I release you. He addressed both men as clear subordinates…yet he did not simply give them the blunt order them to step down. Still, the glinn and the lieutenant commander both complied. Spirodopoulos resumed his place between Folani and Berat.

Now Speros raised the medallion—the sigil—for the entire crowd gathered to behold, not unlike a priest might raise the bread and wine before the congregation for the Divine Liturgy. Now that Spirodopoulos stood closer, he thought he spotted the name ‘Zerayd’ among the Cardăsda letters. Speros turned, though, before he could be sure.

“Glinn Hatel,” he began. “The Cardassian Union—through me—recognizes your years of service and bestows upon you the most solemn office of acting commander. Remember this!” he interjected. “We have not left the Union—it is Skrain Dukat who has done so and we who shall bring the hand of justice to those who still follow his ways into oblivion. As for us—we will not forget what it is we serve! Therefore,” Speros continued, returning to what Spirodopoulos supposed to be the familiar ritual, “as you prepare to accept this symbol of the prestige and the burden of this office, you shall state your name and reaffirm the oath you swore upon your entry into the Cardassian Guard.”

“I am Glinn Bezerok Hatel,” the Cardassian officer declared, continuing without a single prompt from Speros or anything from which to read the ritual words. “I swear in this capacity that I shall always place the interests of the Cardassian Union above my own, to serve and defend it in the face of any and all circumstances I might face. I swear my loyalty and my obedience to my leaders. I swear to provide my crew, through me, the full support and vigilance of the Cardassian Union against all enemies within and without.”

Much like Speros, Hatel’s eyes practically burned at that last—in a simpler time, he would have been branded the traitor along with every Cardassian in this room. Now…he took up this mantle to save the Union from itself. “For each duty, I pledge my life. May it be forever so: gorhoç edek.” I obey.

“Then I bind you to that word, Glinn Hatel,” Speros stated. “Serve Cardassia and Cardassia will remember you. Betray Cardassia and Cardassia—through us—will have justice.”

Hatel bowed deeply, holding this position as Gul Speros slipped the medallion over his slicked-back hair and resting it between neck and shoulder lines of his cuirass where it could sit without irritating the sensitive neck ridges. “You are hereby granted acting command of the Cardassian Union warship Zerayd. Lead its crew and wield its power well, Glinn Hatel.” And for the first time, Spirodopoulos caught a clear impression of something other than cynicism and bitterness in Speros’ eyes as he regarded his former first officer. It looked an awful lot like pride.

He’s not the only one, Spirodopoulos realized, taking a long look at the rest of the Thirteenth Order, Starfleet and Cardassian alike. The deck upon which they stood, under the watchful eye of the armored Honor Vigil and the echo of this unexpected gift—this name, the Zerayd, ringing in their ears…they all felt it. This might not be consecrated, but it definitely felt like hallowed ground.

18. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Oh my. That is beautiful. I will have to make the time to start at the bginning and read this. I confess I had purposely not gotten into it because of the length and time but your writing is very lyrical and flowing. It has a Tolkeinish quality to it. Thank you for your hard work - I look forward to catching up!

19. Nerys Ghemor

Thanks...I'm honored that you were willing to give this a chance. What convinced you to open the thread? :)

BTW, the story is available either here or at Ad Astra. I look forward to your thoughts!

20. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mother of Pearl, that was a good read.

I like the way you handled that, and to have a vessel named after Ngaer is an honour, no matter which race it belongs to.

I even had a tear in my eye.

I maintain that like Diane Duane for the Romulans, you have done for the Cardassians and I am impressed.