How many reset buttons?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by BruntFCA, Dec 3, 2012.

1. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol:
    Probably so.

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

But VOY as a whole was about the Journey of the USS VOyager tring to get from the DQ back to Earth. So when you view it as a series of 7 seasons and some 174 episodes, these seemingly minor details matter. The premise of the show called out for a more serialised format, they ended up doing a more episodic show. Sure there where the odd nods to arc based telling.

But if we take the concept of Chekhov's Gun. If you show a gun on the wall with 6 bullets in Act I, you would expect that gun to be used later but only have 6 shots fired.

No Voyager didn't do a visual of the gun they made a statement, it is not the viewers fault, for calling them on the fact they ignored they something previously established.

They could have said "We Only have 39 torpedeos" they choose to add the bit about having no way to replace them. They wanted to call attention to that deatail, they couldn't decide on how many crew members the ship had it fluctuated up and down throughout the show.

But as I've said before VOY did have it's moments and Robert Picardo as the EMH was one of the shows plus points, but it could have been so much more.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

A few lines they might have added.

Kim "Ma'am, Sir, sorry, Captain... I know how to make Torpedoes."

Janeway "Really kid? You do! That's incredible. Will they be as powerful as the ones we have now?"

Kim: "Ma'am, I mean Captain, Federation Torpedoes are total pussies. It's all about humane treatment of the target, reducing collateral damage and acceptable levels of genocide, if you give me 80 pounds of antimatter and 3 days and I'll make you a full compliment of torpedoes that can rip suns in half."

(Remember Carter from Hogans Heroes? He loved making things go boom.)

4. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Definitely so. :lol: Though some more than others.

5. exodus

Did we ever notice or care about:

Trills can't use transporters
    Dax is beaming up and down everywhere

Riker acts like he's never seen a holodeck before or how it works
    Janeway and Harry mention how they grew up on Flotter holodeck stories.

Picard calls the Mentalkins believe in a higher power a false superstition but yet honors the Klingons & Bajorians religious beliefs.

Data fights for his rights in order not to be dismantled because: "If I am destroyed the universe will loose something unique that can never be replaced." and is willingly to resign his commission in order to live.
    Data blows himself up willingly in Nemesis.

Trek has been forgetting things written and said within it for decades and we've skimmed over it. They've never really shown and storage of much on Voyager, so I can see why they and much of the audience could forget the line about torpedeos.

6. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

The first 2 are contradictions between 2 different shows which is quite a bit different then contradictions in the same series. The 3rd is hypocrisy on Picard's part and not really a contradiction. The 4th is 2 entirely different situations.

7. jpch

jpch Commander Red Shirt

Delta Quadrant Borg Queen appartement 8472
    Just an idea about the Torpedo issue.
    If anyone has season 5 extras of Voyager,Rick Sternbach explains how Voyager can replicate the casings of Torpedoes and collect the required elements from space stations,trades,planets they visited to make more.

Also in one of the novels they stated that the Enterprise-E was making torpedoes. (i know the novels are not canon)

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

We saw them build two Delta Fliers.

If they can't build "torpedoes" when they can build Super Shuttles with a full and new compliment of torpedoes, well then that's just ridiculous.

They had to spend a week upgrading their workshop.

It's not a big deal.

In the Omega Directive we saw Tuvok build a super bomb.

Whatever they couldn't do in the third episode, they got over it.

Although I would have liked to have seen them borrow from the species they met if the bad guys were using better weapons than Photon Torpedoes then who ever was down int he workshop should have been able to reverse engineer what had almost kicked their ass... And if there was a work shop that could make anything, then there's no reason that once they got in touch with earth that they could have and shoud have been building quantum torpedoes if even Quark could sell them to the 20th century Military.

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Transporter tech was improved. We accept that Warp Drive improves between shows so accepting that they fixed that issue is not a stretch

With regards to Data the first was not by choice the second was by choice.

And yes Trek has been forgetting about things for years. And all shows have their pros and cons, continuity gaffs etc...

10. Lord Manitou

Lord Manitou Commander Red Shirt

Star TRek Voyager uses the reset button more extensively than Generations or Ent. Apparently races with more advanced technology has more freewill with programs in replicators that can do 360 degrees around the ship at a touch of a button. That is what the writers were directed to do. So it is not too abnormal that in another ep. everything is put together again. This is the same as a camper who must make a new camp every 7 days because this is what he does. This is the same as when B'Ellanna walks into a room in the middle of an ep. all damp and fresh. Now everyone together. Who pushed her---.

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Some of it is also down to personal taste.

Some shows are episodic by nature
    Some shows are more serilaised by nature
    and then we have the shows which do the opposite of what their overall premise seemed to indicate their show would be episodic or serialised. VOY premise seemed to indicate a more serialised format yet they leaned more towards the episodic format.

If VOY had been set in the AQ, many of the complaints levelled at the show would cease to exist.

12. exodus

Who wrote it all?
    Who over saw the whole production?
    Half the writers on DS9 came over from TNG
    It's not hypocrisy on Picard's part cause he isn't real and all he says is written, so it is a contradiction by the writers on the series.
    Data has no choice.
    His choice is up to whomever puts pen to paper.
    They change the characters personality profiles to fit the situation. Data originally wanted to live at any cost, it's Worf that finds sacrifice in battle the right way to go.

Agreed, thank you.:techman:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013