Star Trek, a possibly canon co-op title.

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by SG-17, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

I'm guessing the campaign will be handled like the aforementioned Army of Two, either single player (where the player can issue commands to the AI partner), split screen co-op, online play with either stranger or friend.

As to people's responses that maybe the game being a reskin of Mass Effect no being so bad, fair point, it's just that I can imagine that 'unoriginal' gameplay might turn some people off; though from what that article said about the use of quick in game minigames, it should be fun.

Any idea on how canon the events of this game could end up being? Can't imagine they'll want to do too much character development in case it stunts the next movie. As to the foe? Reckon it might be the Cardassians, if only because of the ship we see fly in the video (roughly 0:39-0:40) has a vague resembelence to their ship aesthetic, especially the Hideki.

2. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

My first impression:

Star Trek = Kirk, Spock and ACTION!! Nothing else matters.

Not impressed.

3. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

I am not realy sure.

My bet is that its a bioship of some sorts.

4. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Lieutenant Red Shirt

It's certainly looking like something that hasn't been done before with Star Trek in terms of gaming so I'm open to it on that front. Looking forward to seeing how it fits in between the two movies.

5. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love their helmets. Very Retro-y 1950s-y, looks cool.

6. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Captain Captain

This might be worthwhile in the end. The Elite Force games were fairly straightforward shooters set in the Star Trek universe but they are often regarded as some of the best Star Trek games ever made.

7. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I'm pretty sure those are the same helmets used in the last Trek film.

I'm more stoked by that Phaser Kirk is carrying - looks about a million times better than that spinny POS they used in the film.

8. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Except most of the weapon is mounted forward of the grip

ASAJKDSKSADJK ITS NOT A PHAZOR ANYMORR

9. Lord Garth FOI

Lord Garth FOI Commander Red Shirt

Did anyone catch the new TMP engineering style set and central warp core in the game preview for Giganticprise??

Either this was unseen in the film, it's only detail in the game or they plan on adding it for the next film

Maybe it was behind the beer vats

10. SilentP

I thought that was the interior of the station shown in the beginning of the video?

11. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hope there's a feature where you get to play as the original Kirk and Spock

They're slightly different.

Agreed, it does look better.

12. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Although at the time I remember a similar chorus of wailing and gnashing of teeth about how the Elite Force games were "just action and shooting and don't adhere to Gene's Vision!"

And I remember similar complaints about Bridge Commander ("It's just space battles! That's not Gene's Vision!") and the Starfleet Command games ("It's just about war, that's not Gene's Vision!") and, well, pretty much any new Trek game in the past decade.

13. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Honestly, Gene's post-TOS vision of Trek is pretty terrible if you're not making TV shows, books, or MMORPGs. The old "Hornblower in Space" idea, on the other hand, is a lot more flexible and it seems like that is what JJ's team is tapping into. This game would fit perfectly into vision.

As for gameplay, since they are at a pre-alpha stage, it's not really surprising that they haven't showed off anything but the action. Much like Mass Effect, the action is what you can most obviously show improvements in, while other stuff is not as flashy or apparent (for example, in the ME3 demos they showed off weapon customzation, but the damage increase gained by replacing a rifle barrel wasn't really noticeable). Plus Trek games have sort gained a reputation for not being the most fun in terms of action, so it makes sense that they would want to show that even if you aren't a Trek fan, this game will be fun to play and worth your time and money.

14. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think being exclusively action is limiting. A Trek RPG would be nice for a change.

15. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think that at this point, trying to do a Trek RPG would be a financial risk because of the generally lackluster reputation of recent Trek games. If this game does well financially and critically, Paramount might be more willing to make the kind of investment necessary to make a really good RPG.

16. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does Paramount invest anything in these games? I thought they just took the licensing money and then said yea or nay to story elements and the final product.

17. SilentP

Don't think so, but I've heard that perhaps at least for this game, the writers for Star Trek XI are involved with this one's story.

18. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Paramount doesn't, but the game's publisher does. The publisher has to spend on the licensing (which is very expensive) and pay the developers. And publishers are just as cautious about using an IP as the people who own it, if not even more.

19. CaptJack

CaptJack Captain Captain

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do we know if McCoy, Uhura, Chekhov, Scotty, or Sulu are in this? So far all anybody has talked about in everything I've read has been talking about Spock and Kirk, but IMO it wouldn't really feel like a real TOS/nuTrek story without at least some kind of appearance by the rest of the characters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.