Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think a lot of the people complaining misunderstood Skye's role in this episode. They showed her acting as if she was the only one who could connect with the safety inspector lady, but I think that was a bit of an intentional fake-out from the writers. Because May was able to get an actual personal connection going at the end between Tobias and the safety inspector that resolved the situation.

Perhaps the point of Skye's actions in this episode were to show that May is an actual human being too. They showed Skye intending to do something, but then they showed May actually performing the task in a manner that would fix the problem.

(Though I'm not sure that sending that guy to hell should actually count as fixing things.)

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

No one is a Mary-Sue on this show.

A Mary-Sue is someone who is over powered and over-used.

Seven of Fricking Nine.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Not so. She had a pretty good read on Michael Peterson in the pilot.

When Coulson showed her the video of Peterson attacking his former boss, she said (Thanks, Hulu)...

"This is wrong. This is not... the guy I met. He was... He just needs a break."

Which is, I think, the kind of insight/talent Skye has that Coulson referred to.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

If anything a role Skye fills is the Cabbage Head. The every-man who has to have the techy stuff explained to them since she's surrounded by experts who have no reason to explain these things to themselves.

5. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Now that, I think, is getting closer to the truth than others in the Skye corner. Because another aspect of Skye's particularly obnoxious behavior in this episode is that she suddenly had major issues with May...which might have made sense if she knew about May and Ward, but we were given no indication that she did.

Wow...the specialness of her specialness overwhelms me.

It's the kind of insight that anyone might have if they'd been the only one on the team who'd actually met the guy at that point.

You're also conveniently leaving out how, in her first scene with him, she was encouraging him to become a super-hero, which actually fed his power-induced delusions of grandeur, making him dangerous.

Coulson's main reason for recruiting Skye at that point may have been to keep her off the streets.

I'd refer to that character as "the Watson."

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

This kind of undermines your point, doesn't it? It suggests she isn't all that special and isn't very good at things. I thought your point was that she was unrealistically special and good at things.

7. The Old Mixer

My point is that she's treated as if she's more special than she has actually proven to be. Coulson gives her trophies just for showing up.

8. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

And is she even being paid? 'Cause unpaid internships totally suck, and shouldn't be legal, even for SHIELD.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Completely false. She's a skilled hacker, she showed she could handle herself well in "The Asset," and she's shown she has a good heart as well as occasionally demonstrating good insights. Like any other character, she's got a mix of positive traits and flaws. Coulson treats her as someone who has potential that's a long way from being fully realized. And we have been shown both sides of that.

10. The Old Mixer

And we come right back down to the creators so far not having the courage to put her in a situation where she's completely in the wrong / jeopardizes the mission and it isn't sugar-coated at the end.

Somehow I've become seen as the model Skye-hater around these parts, when I was giving her every benefit of the doubt prior to this episode. This episode turned the tide for me because of just how obnoxiously the character was portrayed (complete with getting a pat on the head at the end for her obnoxiousness).

11. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

12. Christopher

Or, we come right down to you personally not liking what they're doing with the character. I can't see the problem myself.

13. The Old Mixer

So you find nothing lacking in the execution/realization of this character thus far?

14. Christopher

What is it about Western civilization that brainwashes us to reduce everything to black vs. white? No, I didn't say there's nothing lacking. Of course there's room for improvement, as there always is in most everything. But I don't find it terrible either. I find it okay.

15. Alidar Jarok

Alright, I'm going to bow out of this conversation now, but you'd have to admit that this is very, very far from the definition of Mary Sue. "Overrated from an in-universe perspective" perhaps, but that doesn't strike me as meaning much.

We're about ten episodes in, so there's certainly still a possibility of that. It's still early. They might not simply because they did something very similar to that in The Girl With the Flower Dress (and it wasn't sugarcoated at the end, imo), so they may not want to look like they're repeating things.

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Chess.

Subliminally we all play this game that forces black vs. white, us vs. them and Good vs. Evil.

Don't the sets depicting red vs. Yellow look weird?

17. The Old Mixer

That's a rather offensive generalization to make in response to a direct, harmless question that was, in fact, attempting to evoke some grayness concerning your own opinion of the character. "Black and white", in my book, would be unconditionally defending a character as if she were above criticism.

I find a discussion more interesting...and honest...if people are willing to concede a point once in a while, as I did in response to kitik's evaluation of Skye's role in the episode. If you have some items on your "cons" list for Skye, feel free to share.

I thought we were well past the back and forth about the use of the term "Mary Sue". I conceded a couple of times in previous posts that the term didn't fit her.

18. Alidar Jarok

No, I didn't get that, I just thought you had a slightly different definition. I said from the beginning that her greatest weakness is that she isn't as useful as other characters. I'm not sure how we ended up down this rabbit hole if we agreed on this.

19. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

No, she definitely isn't as useful as Fitz-Simmons or everyone else, but she has proven her resourcefulness as a hacker or infiltrator on a few occasions.

20. Christopher

At this point I'm content to fall back on de gustibus non est disputandem. This is a difference of opinion, not a question of fact. No character works for everyone.