Most Underrated Episode?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by CrazyMatt, Jul 14, 2014.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I just figured an Earth vessel had crashed somewhere on Omega IV and the Yangs adopted them and their ideas as their own because they were similar. Americans trying to escape an ever more diverse country and planet. They brought copies of the American flag, U.S. Constitution and Bible with them.

No time travel and no parallel development.

2. TheAdmiralty

TheAdmiralty Commander Red Shirt

I think you can be safe in assuming this, but I don't think it's stated anywhere in the episode.

I tend to lump Omega Glory into the "okay" category, just because of the ending, but the first two acts are actually really solid. Tracey is one of the nastiest bad guys they ever had on TOS.

Another issue is that they just did so many of that kind of episode in the second season. You've got A Piece of the Action, Patterns of Force, Bread and Circuses, and this. Most people like A Piece of the Action the best (probably because of the humor and the fact that it aired first) but when I was a kid I first saw them out of order so I thought Patterns of Force was the best one and always considered the others just okay.

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

"Patterns of Force" was a bit of fun, but the moral lesson is a bit heavy handed. It's too bad Valora Noland's career already seemed to be winding down and was over before she was 30. She was about 26 on Star Trek.

4. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I like that. I think I'll keep that in mind and watch it again.

I still don't think it explains why there are Kohms and Yangs and why
    "Kohms? Communists? The parallel is almost too close, Captain. It would mean they fought the war your Earth avoided, and in this case, the Asiatics won and took over this planet."

Also, I don't like having to depend on outside matterials to have a reasonable explanation. If there was the slightest indication of that, like the container the book was in looked like a piece of spaceship or from a ship, or "the book" from that other episode.

I'm sorry if this sounds like nitpicking, I really like your idea much better. I'm just stating some concerns of mine, I think I'll just adopt your reasoning now, though. After all, what one sees in their imagination is important to the suspension of disbelief that is necessary to enjoy almost any show, but especially needed in Star Trek. :techman:

5. TheAdmiralty

TheAdmiralty Commander Red Shirt

I think people used to have a lot more suspension of disbelief than they do now, which is why TOS (and 60's TV in general) doesn't always explain things as much as some people may like. They spent their time on the actual story instead of exposition and assumed people would "go with the flow".

6. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

If so, I'd argue that it hardly qualifies as underrated...it routinely makes top 10 lists for the series.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Yeah. It is definitely in my top-10. Which makes about eighteen episodes in that top-10 category! :lol:

8. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I tried making a top 10 list once and settled on a baker's dozen, I think.

9. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree that The Omega Glory is underrated. Besides a very tight, action-packed story it is extremely tragic and emotional. But perhaps most importantly, it presents what I believe is actually the best villain in all TOS. Ron Tracey is a starship captain, just like Kirk. But, he violates his oath and completely goes south. He is truly evil, corrupted by power and greed. He murders star fleet officers, commits mass-murder of the Yangs, interferes with an undeveloped society and ultimately does everything he can to dispose of Kirk. Plus, Morgan Woodward plays the role perfectly with menace and raw evil. I think this character is terribly overlooked.

I've always felt like Obsession is a great episode that gets no love, too. It's a great character piece for Kirk, showing a real human side to the golden boy leader. It presents opportunity for some nice conflict with Spock and McCoy. We learn about Kirk's past and some of what drives and motivates him. The cloud creature is truly menacing and disturbing, and the idea of the subconscious communication through odors is very unique. The character of Ensign Garrovick was great, and the actor gave a wonderful, somewhat "un-TOS" nuanced performance.

Finally, one of my absolute favorites is Day of the Dove. Kang is a real man's Klingon.

10. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

My vote goes to Way to Eden.

It has been several years since I've seen it, but I went through a phase about 10-15 years ago where I liked it a lot and watched it several times one year. Soon after, I was surprised to find that it's usually derided as one of the poor Season 3 episodes.

11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good choice. :techman: I considered going with that one, too. I know I'm definitely in the minority for liking that episode. There are people who rip it to shreds on here.

There are strong scenes in it, and the premise is interesting. "Heading Out to Eden" is far and away the best musical number, in my opinion.

12. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

Made #8 on Entertainment Weekly's list of best episodes, and #9 on IGN's, according to Wikipedia.

13. JimZipCode

Agree on "A Taste of Armageddon", and it's an episode that's really grown on me in the last ~5 years. Nowadays I think of it as the best example of a good Star Trek episode.

Not "the best Star Trek episode," but the best example. This is a slippery concept. To me, the *best* episodes aren't the best *examples* of episodes, because they're not representative. They're the best: they're way over at the end of the curve. "City" and "Amok Time" and "Doomsday Machine" don't fairly represent the series, they're the peak. But "Taste" – if there's such a thing as a run-of-the-mill good episode, your standard-issue example of how a Star Trek episode looks when it's good, "Taste" is it. It's slightly clunky, and maybe it starts a little slow. But it has an interesting hook, a nice set of sequences, and Kirk gives his "I will not kill – today" speech. Also, you have to love how beautifully it illustrates this recurring motif: it's all fun and games until you threaten the Enterprise. Kirk will entertain your interesting little notions, he will discus them with you, maybe argue a bit. But threaten his ship and crew, and he will END YOUR WAY OF LIFE. Classic.

I have a lot to say about this episode. But maybe that belongs to a separate thread.

14. JimZipCode

Obsession is terrific. It's another episode that I enjoy more now than I did when I was a kid.

The central scene where Spock & McCoy talk to Kirk in his quarters, could be regarded as part 2 of a trilogy of such scenes:

• Part 1, almost the exact same scene in Conscience of the King. Spock confronts Kirk on what he's doing with Karidian on board, Kirk tells him to butt out, McCoy interjects that Spock is doing his job. Great scene.
    • This episode has part 2, Spock & McCoy come to Kirk's quarters to press him about deviating from their assignment. Kirk gives the regulation response, Spock acknowledges it and further quotes the manual, and suddenly they are having a reasonable, professional conversation about the situation. Very different, more mature vibe from the first one.
    • Part 3 is in the unlikeliest place of all: Turnabout Intruder. Spock & McCoy have questions about Kirk's behavior, and Kirk goes hysterically batshit crazy. He's an imposter.
    That "trilogy" gives Turnabout a little extra depth. Nice.

Yes. Unfairly derided because of our squirmy embarassment at the space hippies, but in fact a very solid episode. The moment when Adam sings "Hey-eyy brother" over the PA, as we pan across the limp bodies of the crew, that moment is quite powerful. Very well done. Likewise the death of Adam.

Also I like "Spock Jam". :)

15. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

If anything, I think "The Omega Glory" is overrated. Especially when it comes to this board. I find it a tedious and boring excuse of an episode, barely watchable.

I love "The Way to Eden"! I'm not sure it's underrated, though. I do get why most people don't like the episode. But I love the silliness, the music (!), the actors and the theme of a youth movement in the 23rd century.

And? The point remains that it's virtually not talked about all that much amoung Star Trek fans. At least not here on this board.

16. JimZipCode

And it's tough to justify an "underrated" label when it appears on top ten lists. It's more likely overrated – a fine episode, but top ten? Really?

Yeah – I personally never find much to say about it. I like it; I even like it very much: but for me, nothing about it resonates across other episodes. Everything in it is very "localized" somehow. I watch it and move on.

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Obsession" is a good, solid episode, with great scenes, but I don't think it's one of the overly overlooked ones. Ditto on all counts for "This Side of Paradise". I don't even think that "A Taste of Armageddon" is excessively overlooked, but I agree that it is one of the best episodes. It might be that a lot of fans don't rank it quite as high as I and others do.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Unfortunately the episode stated the the war that between the Kohms and the Yangs took place long before the Cold War on Earth

Earth must be an off shoot of Omega!

19. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

'Operation Annihilate!' is one of my guilty pleasures.

20. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

"The Alternative Factor" - I love this episode, and only discovered the hate through internet forums like the Trek BBS. It often comes bottom of fan listings - which I find completely unfathomable when put up against the likes of "I, Mudd" or "The Way To Eden".

"The Empath" is one of the finest third season episodes, and of course, I am compelled to give a shout out to the pure genius and utter brilliance of "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"! :techman: