The Newsroom.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Guy Gardener, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Elemental

Elemental Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, the men are basicly all egotistical jerks (aside from Dev Patel who's got the lovable minority schtick) and the women are all overly dramatic histrionics. It's unfortunate that there is no one nearly as inspiring as President Jed Bartlet or any of the rest of The West Wing characters.

In general, it creates a much more pessimistic view where the main characters are lamenting the good old days and the main emotion is frustration that everyone just isn't as smart as them.

2. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

He isn't a political reporter, he is an evening news anchor. He is described in the first episode as "the Jay Leno of news."

3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Kinda makes one wish Sorkin were just writing 5-10 minute current editorial shorts in dialogue form for an HBO web series or something, thus getting a rotating stable of top-notch actors, while continuing to work first and foremost on his movie scripts, and saving the sitcom shlock for... well, sitcoms.

4. Elemental

I'd say the show has presented a lot more evidence of leftward-leanings in Will both fiscally and socially. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they later try and make him out to be a moderate fiscal conservative. And Will isn't your typical average water-cooler politico. This guy spends his life dealing with this sort of stuff so I think he has a pretty clearly doled out sense of what he stands for. I don't recall it ever saying he's voted for more Republicans than Democrats. All I recall is in the opening sequence of the premiere that he said he's voted for members of both parties and that it later mentioned he's a card carrying Republican. I really feel it's just another way for Sorkin to try to show what a detioration there has been in Republican party principles that even its members are turning against it.

Any of the show's criticisms of the Democrats has come off very superficial in comparisson.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

In this world there's no such thing as a fiscal conservative, just right and wrong.

6. Elemental

I assume then you've devoted any and all wealth, luxuries, and excesses you have to the less fortunate in Africa?

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

7. Guy Gardener

You think I'm a Sith?

Sorry, I was not clear.

I was referring to, I thought I was referring to, the fictional world created by Aaron for the News Room universe where where Will McAcoy is %100 right and every one who disagrees with him is an idiot or evil.

I should have said

In this world created by Sorkin there's no such thing as a fiscal conservative, just right and wrong, or In this imaginary world there's no such thing as a fiscal conservative, just right and wrong.... but at the time I must have assumed that would have gone without saying since most of what we are talking about in this thread is about the Sorkinverse, or the multiSorkinverses, but yes I do see my exposed exhaust port from the idea I put forward and you made a fabulous, albeit unecessary trench run at it.

BRAVO!

8. Elemental

LOL I gotcha now. And yes, while shows like The West Wing do sometimes show there can be good ideas come from both sides of the political spectrum and that there are two sides to a coin, Sorkin can sometimes give off a 'holier than thou' perception to his writing where you must be a fool if you don't come to the same conclusions he does.

9. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Tonights was another good eps in my opinion. Will and the Bodyguard was fun. Will with the shrink was great. I loved the boss chewing out Munn's character after she went nuts on the air and the Executive Producer telling her to wait ten seconds and remember they had all been there before. Speaking of which, Olivia Munn showed off really well her acting range, which I must admit I didn't think was that far, and impressed with her language skills. She either knows how to speak Japanese, or she is a hell of a quick learner.

Overall, still gotta say I'm loving the "Sorkin Goodness" that is being delivered each week. Can't wait till next sunday.

10. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

What i hated about the West Wing was the ireality. The actual people there are a lot mor cynical and i dare say evil.

11. Venardhi

The climax of the interview with the Santorum spokesperson was enormously well done. I've actually had a conversation that went very closely along those lines not too long ago and it is pretty hard to look down on someone who believes so strongly in an issue (faith, sanctity of life, whatever it be) that they knowingly and willfully would deny themselves respect, acceptance and freedom to accomplish what they "know to be right."

Too bad for the Republicans they can't use that kind of passion and self-sacrifice in their PR without admitting to bigotry with the same words.

12. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

IIRC, she is half-Japanese in real life. She may bring natural language skills to the table in that regard. That whole bit was perfectly suited for her. Although I thought her getting chewed out was a bit over-the-top.

13. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I believe she's half-Chinese, but she grew up partly in Japan.

Olivia Munn is turning out to be easily the best actress on this show, which I wasn't remotely expecting. Partly I suppose it's because Sloan is written as much less intolerable than Mackenzie and especially Maggie (rapidly climbing to the top of my list of the most annoying characters on TV), but Munn seems to have a better handle on Sorkin's dialogue too.

14. Venardhi

Half-Chinese I think, but raised in Japan and started her career there.

15. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Ah...I stand corrected.

16. Elemental

Just finished watching this week's episode. Probably the best episode yet in my opinion. I was also happy to see some new ongoing plot threads being created beyond just the two unrequited love stories (namely, the death threat).

My only beef with this episode would be that some of the plot lines felt exceedingly similar to what was done on West Wing - namely, the visit to the psychiatrist being almost spot on identical to Josh's PTSD visit experience. As a physician myself, I find it a little humorous the way he portrays psychiatrists although it's to be expected, as everyone is a little bit larger than life in the Sorkin-verse. Also, the death threat to Will reminded me a lot of the threat made to CJ in season 3 of WW after she made a disparaging comment about Saudi Arabia's mistreatment of women. Even so though, great episode.

17. Guy Gardener

It's still all realesque.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/06/chris-matthews-santorum-gay-robert-traynham_n_1188992.html

18. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I hope the main guy is not modelled after Matthews, if so it is a terrible choice.

19. Venardhi

He is an amalgam of several real life anchors I'm sure. I can see a little Matthews in thre.

20. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Best dialogue:

Will: "I'm going to fix the internet!"
    Neal: "What could possibly go wrong?"

Good episode though not quite as great as the last two. I'm not sure how I should feel about the fact that Will was already pretty messed up before Mac cheated on him and I felt the inclusion of an abusive alcoholic father was a bit much. Since Jed Bartlett also has an abusive father, I take it this is a sort of theme with Sorkin. Does he have issues with his father?