DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Pretty much :)

@Trekker...you mean Tony Daniel's three issue run? ;)

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I've been pronouncing it "Vindictive".

3. Admiral_Young

So have I and that's probably what Morrison intended as well...when i saw the Guy Fawkes style imagery though I immediately thought Vendetta. It kind of works IMO :)

4. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, good points.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it feels like at this point Jaime has eclipsed Ted for at least the time being.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Elongated Man is just an excuse for his wife.

How could Ralph find the perfect woman, and Ray Palmer go oh so very, very wrong.

Although, Ryan Choi the next Atom, had a very surprising and dedicated girlfriend... The villainess from Wonder Woman's Rogues gallery Gigantress, who when she finally caught up with the murderer of her beloved, broke bone after bone in Dwarfstar's tiny little body until he died.

History repeats.

You bring back Rlaph, then Sue gets raped by Doctor Light again and then killed by Jean Loring AGAIN.

The cycle is inescapable.

Better limbo than being tied to that karmic wheel.

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Not Nu52, but I wanted to say that I really enjoyed the Batman story in Batman Beyond Unlimited 14. It focused on Terry's girlfriend Dana and with her coming to terms with the realization that Terry is Batman.

I'm happy to say that Dana is smarter than Lois Lane.:lol: She put together the fact that she sees Batman more than anyone, the fact that Terry is never around when Batman is around, Batman's body language and inflection of voice and the fact that he knew her name and put it all together. She also figures out that Bruce was the original Batman.

Terry tries to deny it, but Bruce welcomes her to the "family", as long as she realizes the danger and responsibility. Those who saw the JLU episode "Epilogue" know that she handles both quite well.

7. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i've only read up to issue #5 of Batman Beyond Unlimited. some of the stories are pretty enjoyable. some...not so much.

8. Turtletrekker

Agreed. The intial Justice League arc with Darkseid and Apokolips goes on too long and on too many tangents.

9. Admiral_Young

Adam Beechen actually does "writer commentary" for Batman Beyond Unlimited on Youtube if anyone is interested in viewing it. It's rather quite interesting.

10. Turtletrekker

Very cool. Thanks for that. :)

11. Admiral_Young

No problem. I got a chance to read through most of Justice League Beyond, which I found myself enjoying immensely. I am planning on revisiting Batman Beyond Unlimited, I believe Beechen has teased the Death of Old Bruce coming up soon right?

Wonder Woman #18: This is the best book of the New 52, and my favourite of the ones that I'm reading right now. Just so entertaining and what Azzarello is doing with the Greek gods is amazing. The dynamic between Diana and Orion is awesome too, and Azzy has given Diana quite the eccentric supporting cast...and as always the Cliff Chiang artwork is simply awesome, as is the other artist who fills in whose name always escapes me.

I thought "Justice League" was good again as well. Looks like we start the "march" towards the Trinity War finally next issue which should be interesting.

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Sword of Sorcery #6: So the retcon in the nu52 here is that Eclipso(his Earth moniker that he seems to detest) is actually a banished Lord from the House of Onyx, Lord Kaal. I don't like that Constantine chooses to endanger one world but "saving" another.
    I'm curious to see how the Eclipso story goes even more now. It's a shame the title only has 2 issues left. I've really been enjoying this title. Was anyone else here reading it?

13. Saga

yeah, i've been reading Sword of Sorcery. took me awhile to get into it, as i really loved the old Amethyst comic. i'll be sad to see it go too.

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I never read any of the 80's Gemworld material.

This was one of the books with DC's nu52 that I decided to utilize the "try something new not tied to the old" continuity moniker.

Hopefully when the book ends they can move Amy over into Justice League Dark.

15. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

After seeing some upcoming covers, it looks like Mr. Miracle will be brought back soon. I bet he'll have no escape artist training (he'll be a New God scientist or janitor, and be the brother of darkseid instead of son or something stupid like that) and they'll bring back Big Barda, but as a love interest for Orion (because DC hates married couples). I almost started reading Wonder Woman again when they brought back orion, just to see how badly he was screwed up. I couldn't bring myself to do it. I'm sure he's either a) a peace loving hippie or b) New 52 Hawkman version 2, where he's so angry he's pretty muich a cartoon. Combine that with WW's bad art (and poor writing) and I just couldn't read it. I should probably just check and see if wikipedia has beennupdated with his WW appearances.

On a positive note, GL is still pretty good. I'm liking all three of the main GL books. I'm hoping the rumors are true and John doesn't get killed. DC has never done deaths well (atleast not since COIE) and the New 52 would probably do it very badly. Plus, I really don't want him to die.

16. Saga

just so you know, New 52 Orion isn't 'a peace loving hippie' or insane with anger. he has been a little flirtatious with WW though. you should check it out.

17. Admiral_Young

New 52 Orion is awesome...and reminds me of a younger version of the Classic character. He and Diana have been great together dynamic wise.

18. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I want to see him played off against Ares honestly. There is lot of potential there.

19. Admiral_Young

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks for sharing, that was definitely an interesting read. I wonder who the anonymous creators were, especially the one who called it a clusterf**k of epic proportions. I figured it was Liefield at first, but then I came across his bit at the bottom.