Star Trek DVDs

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by SeanScot, Aug 5, 2009.

1. SeanScot

SeanScot Ensign Red Shirt

Just a quick question. I have just begun watching TOS season 2 on DVD. My problem is that I am getting my DVDs from Netflix. The description for the disc on the website says there are 4 episodes disc 1. The envelope for the DVD says there are 2 episodes. The disc looks 2 sided but only one side works - the side with the 2 first episodes from season 2. Will someone who owns the DVD sets let me know if I'm supposed to have access to 2 more episodes? I'd appreciate it a lot.

Thanks.

Sean

2. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm...it looks like there was a big mess up.

TOS was released twice on DVD (well...technically three times, but I'm not counting TOS-R in the case).

The first release was single discs, with two episodes on it. A few were released at a time over a period of a few years.

Later, TOS was released as season sets, with four episodes per disc, seven or eight discs per season.

Seems like the website is reporting the season set, but you were shipped the signal release.

3. SeanScot

So how can I make sure I don't skip the next 2 episodes? Any ideas? Guess I could contact them.

4. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

There is a "set" of 40 DVDs with 2 episodes per disc--released before anyone imagined that people would be interested in buying entire seasons.

There is a set (well, three sets--one for each season) of DVDs with four episodes per disc.

There is a set of "Remastered" (three sets actually--one for each season) DVDs with four episodes per disc. (Actually, the first season was released on HD-DVD on one side and regular DVD on the other side--and there are three episodes per disc. But Seasons 2 and 3 have four episodes each.)

There are Blu-Ray DVDs, too. The first season is out with the second season coming out in September (And the third season at some point after that.) I believe there are three episodes per disc.

So, you seem to be having a Netflix problem--where there is some lack of clarity whether you are getting the very old 2 episodes per disc versions or the not quite as old 4 episodes per disc versions.

5. SeanScot

I think I'll just wait for Netflix to get the Blu-Ray versions. That way I know I'll also be getting the best quality transfers. Thank you for your help, everyone.

Sean

6. Phillip Culley

Phillip Culley Captain Captain

What are the two episodes? The original 2-episode discs were in production order and had the last episode of Season 1 (Operation -- Annihilate!) and the first episode of Season 2 (Catspaw) on the same disc.

And according to the disc breakdown on Amazon.ca for the TOS-R S2 release the episodes were in transmission order and disc 1 only had 2 episodes: 'Amok Time' and 'Who Mourns for Adonais?'

It sounds like you've got the first disc of the TOS-R S2 DVD...

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Always possible that a previous customer has pulled a switcheroo and returned the wrong disk on purpose.

8. SeanScot

The 2 episodes were 'Amok Time' and 'Who Mourns for Adonais?'. I wasn't willing to get the 2nd disc for fear that I might miss the next 2 episodes. Like I said, the disc looked 2 sided, but only the one side worked. Or, it wasn't 2 sided and just had no label. Whatever. I will stick with my blu-ray plan.

Thanks again,

Sean

9. VulcanVixen

VulcanVixen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Looks like you've got a damaged disc on your hands. I've encountered this with features on DVDs, just send it back and they'll send you a new one.