STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here's McWeeny at Hitfix, who gives it a B+:

This part is great:

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

A college degree may make things easier, but many management jobs can be had if you're willing to put in the time.

I spent twelve years at a super-regional bank nine as a grunt, three as a manager overseeing a nightly $500 million dollar deadline. I eventually had to leave because anxiety and high-blood pressure not related to the job got to me.

My wife worked six years in collections, moved onto tele-communications as a grunt. Spent less than a year and is now in a leadership position and eyeing bigger things.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

If I were thirty years younger the guy I'd switch places with right now is the manager of the auto body repair shop that works on my car.

4. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

It's not so much that they really, really insist upon it, but, in a down economy, they use it to reduce the flood of resumes coming in. That's what they're doing where I'm at.

5. BillJ

Yep. Either him or the guy working on the car. They're both making good money.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Yeah, and it's ultimately stupid.

When I was working for a lot of government contractors, it astonished me how many really motivated, smart and useful kids came out of the military into tech fields with strong skills and found employment in the DC area really difficult. The sole reason was that most government contracts for computer-oriented jobs - and this was way back in the 80s - stipulated as boilerplate language in RFPs that all contract staff employed on the project have at least four year degrees. If you couldn't or didn't choose to do college but enlisted instead and got lots of practical training in real world situations (and that included a lot of classroom instruction for computer programmers, operators and so forth) you were screwed in the local market.

That's true. What I envy is how much he loves the business and the work. At his age I was making great money and was bored.

7. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm gonna let this go.

8. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

That's because one party is in bed with the Education industry. So they help their voters/donors, by making policy which forces people to seek their services.

9. indranee

Re: Into Darkness UK Premiere

Thanks!! :):techman:

10. section9

section9 Commander Red Shirt

Can I tell you something?

The AICN crowd are fanboys. JJ and Co are responsible to Paramount pictures for making the Star Trek franchise accessible to a WIDER EFFING AUDIENCE without doing to the Alien franchise what was done to it last year.

Given the responses to the film that the mainstream press is giving it, I think they've achieved it. Scr*w the fanboys.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

You're entirely wrong, and substituting ideological political ranting for any knowledge about or experience with the situations in question. Thanks for contributing.

12. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

These negative reviews perplex me. It's like they were watching a completely different movie than the people who gave it positive reviews. For example, the AIC review makes the argument that the film is incredibly solemn and unfun. Most every other review though states that, even when the film IS being serious, someone's always ready with a quip or one-liner or somethng to brighten the tone, and that it's consistently a lot of fun.

13. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know. It's almost like people have different opinions over things.

14. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Seriously, you see NOTHING strange about the guy's eyes and nose bridge? :cardie:

15. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

There's a difference of opinion, and then there's... this. These guys make it seem like they were watching Star Trek as directed by Lars von Trier.

16. indranee

He pretty much read my mind re Pine's take on Kirk. I'm just glad he's getting this sort of review when most reviews are full of nerdgasm about Cumberbatch's character. And also because Pine was always at pains to reveal that he wanted to play KIRK, not Shatner playing Kirk. I have no complaints about his portrayal. He was the heart of ST2009 and I'm pretty sure he's the heart of this one, as well.

Only about 50 years later will most detractors of his Kirk realize what we got in bagging him for the role. I'm saying that because I grew up with people ragging on the Shatman. And look where he's today.

Good stuff.

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

No partisan politics - you can just drop that right now. There are forums for discussing politics and, unless those have some direct bearing on the topic which is the focus here, this forum is not one of them. I also think the "college" angle has drifted far enough away from the Star Trek angle that it really needs to go find a thread of its own right away.

18. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

No argument there.

19. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I was watching recently Angry Joe's review of Star Trek. I agree with what he said about the state of the franchise. This isn't your grandfather nor your father's Star Trek. There isn't diplomacy and exploration. What there is - is blowing stuff up. I think the ability to write and direct a story that melds the diplomacy/exploration with the action is beyond the capabilities of most triple AAA film writers and directors. So, Abrams and his team do what they can do best - create an action/adventure that gets people into the theaters.

I am leery of reviews after being burned by video game critics. These critics will give gushing reviews to games that are broken, ex. Skyrim, or that have endings that upset the franchise, ex. Mass Effect 3.

I have seen the latest clips of Pine, and I still haven't shaken the feeling of disbelief. Why did Starfleet hand their flagship over to this boy?

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  20. BillJ

Does anyone actually think the reason we don't get exploration/diplomacy SF films is because they simply don't/won't sell?

My copy of Skyrim for the Xbox 360 isn't broken. The wife and I have played the shit out of it since it was released. And why should the story ending of a video game affect the rating said game is given?