Just dying for a Rendezvous with Rama movie!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by T J, Apr 17, 2013.

1. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Started reading this classic once again. I really love this book and I long for a movie version of it. Fans of the book know of the fan trailer and past talk of Morgan Freeman wanting to do the project that never got off the ground. I know a thread pops up here every now and again but perhaps the more we scream the better chance of someone hearing and doing it, hell it would make good money after all.

Perhaps we should impose a law in hollywood, no more video game movies until the complete works of Arthur C. Clarke are done and done spectacularly! ;)

At any rate, I know I'd pay good money to see it and I don't think it would be an overwhelming difficult task for today's FX and it would be an instant classic.

Are there parts of the book that would not translate well to film? Which parts would be the highlights? How could it catch the attention of the general movie going audience if possible at all?

I want this movie!

Who's with me?

I know our local poster RAMA is. :)

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

If faithful to the book, this movie would probably disappoint many. We've seen way too many shows and movies use the elements of Rama. I said the same thing when Childhood's End was announced as a Syfy miniseries. Audiences are going to think Rama copied them!

Still several elements of the book are topical...we now know there are thousands of planets, some even close by, and many that may be habitable. Asteroid deflection is becoming a big topic with bigger budgets. Spaceguard has become true to some extent. We also have the 100 year starship study, suggesting a timeline that some industrial societies might have followed in their evolution to a Rama ship.

If our sense of wonder hasn't been spoiled, a cool representation of what Rama might look like was seen in this film school project:

http://vimeo.com/1989082

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

The Spaceguard of Rendezvous With Rama has become a reality. :mallory:

Morgan Freeman should take RWR to Kickstarter. There's no way it could survive a theatrical release without being re-imagined into a dark and gritty explosion fest.

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Well not to the same extent, but it's getting there.

6. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I imagine Morgan Freeman saying that line the old lady in the Taco Bell Cool Ranch dorito shell commercial

"Well they better hurry up before I'm dead."

7. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Agreed on both counts. I hope he can finally figure something out to get this project going. And maybe if we're really lucky, David Fincher can still direct it.

9. RJDiogenes

In The Hammer of God, he used Spaceguard again and put in some line about the name being inspired by an obscure 20th-century novel or something like that. :rommie:

10. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

The Freeman interview points up the real reason RAMA couldn't get going ... he says he knows a good script when he reads, and to date nobody has licked RAMA as a screenplay. (or at least licked it and then been able to get it to Freeman.)

They've enlisted significant support for earlier attempts to make the film ... they had an agreement with INTEL to provide all sorts of help about 12 years ago, when it was envisioned as 160mil ... but that was then Fincher was insistent on shooting all the microgravity stuff as mo-cap, with live faces matted atop CG bodies. That would have looked godawful back then, but there's a decent chance that could look more credible now, though not for close views I fear.

I have avoided reading any of the RAMA sequels, but I've often thought the way to get RAMA made is to do a prequel that deals with the whole formation of SPACEGUARD angle (probably because I keep trying to come up with a populist way to get interest in the real space program, which could engender real interest by getting out to the asteroid belt and hauling back that enormous rock of platinum that would redistribute the balance of wealth on this world by magnitudes.) You could end that film on the hook of RAMA's opening.

The main problem they had with the script as of late 2000 -- I had a meeting with Freeman's partner to discuss a possible 'making of ' book -- was of coming up with a strong second lead (and I think that might still be the sticking point.) They were trying to make Jimmy the skycycle guy somebody in a lot of conflict with Norton, and really bolstering him up (I think as a BradPitt/Freeman dynamic a la Se7en.) In a way I think this echoes the TMP issue of Kirk-Decker, which just lacks interesting dynamics.

In the case of TMP, I think SOME of the problem could have been remedied in casting; they tested Frederick Forrest and Tim Thomerson and I believe Andy Robinson for Decker, and I think they all, especially Forrest, would have brought 'heat' that, while at odds with GR-mindedness, would have worked to help energize the movie (just like Shelby works in BOBW, even though she seems to be scheming like somebody in an 80s nighttime soap at times.)

My thought has been that you include aspects of Boris into the Jimmy character, so you have somebody who has a different spiritual belief system, and that would be a good baseline for conflict, one that potentially could transcend disciplines of shipboard behavior.

I wouldn't mind them messing a little with the look of RAMA itself, because obviously (as that video short film shows), passing off the TVH tootsie roll as a multiKM cylinder doesn't quite have the dramatic impact necessary.

Picking the concept designers for this movie (now that Moebius, who was involved way back) is gone, would be a trip. Might be crowning achievement for Syd Mead to do ENDEAVOUR, though I'd be happy with Ron Cobb/STeve Burg as well.

11. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

I've heard nothing but horrible things about the sequels and I must admit, I've read them... while they lack some of the magic of book one I found them enjoyable... I know I'm waaaay in the minority on that one. I especially liked the parts at the Raman node and the refurbishing of a Rama craft...

Interesting. I've heard the same argument with other precious materials, but was always told it would destroy the world economy.

Sure, some retooling is conceivable character wise but please, no flying bike! That we can update I think. As long as they refer to Boris as a cosmo christer. Too funny!

I hope someone is trying to work on a screenplay, I still know it would work.

12. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    the book is boring. Lots of exploration, little characterization or action. I don't see a very good movie coming out of it.

13. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Sounds like a description of Clarke's 2001. Sure worked fine there, even though the novel and film are very much separate entities.

14. RJDiogenes

The problem is that most of the mainstream audience would find real science fiction boring-- when they think of science fiction, they think of monsters and explosions.

I enjoyed them, too, in the same way that I enjoyed the second Foundation trilogy-- well done, but inappropriate and inconsistent with the real thing.

15. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rendezvous with Rama is one of those books i would be afraid of if they turned it into a mini series or film. i thought the book was great, but as others have pointed out, i'm not sure mainstream audiences would enjoy it. i'd be afraid of changes made, like adding boobs and explosions Michael Bay style.

i still haven't read any of the sequel novels. i really need to do that.

16. sonak

eh, YMMV

I think 2001 is probably the most overrated sci-fi movie of all time. I like quiet, intelligent sci-fi as much as the next person(bladerunner, contact, gattaca, etc.) but 2001 is self-indulgent and tedious, and I think "rendezvous" is tedious as well. I got through it but thought it was a slog.

17. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

You lost me at "I think 2001 is ..."

As for indulgent, I'm afraid I only ever apply that word to misuse of lens flare and the wholesale, needless blunting of real color, which are, outside of bad storytelling, the principal movie sins of this century, and have worked wonders to keep me out of movie theaters.

I've seen 2001 more times than any other movie on laserdisc and DVD, plus over 20 times in the theater, and I've been privy to about 750,000 words of interview transcripts, of which only a fraction were published. So I really do know a lot about what is wrong with the movie (mostly stuff that is evident from a single viewing, the additional info merely confirms) ... and you know what? None of it matters in the slightest, because that motherfucker is one TRANSCENDENT goddamn experience.

18. sonak

to each their own. If I wanted a visual artistic experience I'd go to an art museum. If I wanted to listen to classical music, I'd do that.

19. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I would [​IMG] to see a Rendezvous with Rama movie!!! It was the first novel by Clarke I ever read.

20. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

It's my favourite novel and would love to see a movie made.

I have written a rough treatment as a six-part series which omits the earth scientist scenes and restricts the Endeavour crew to 12 people. Wish I could make it! :-)