Does the Nu Ent have Quantum Slipstream?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by P0sitr0nic, Dec 28, 2013.

1. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

Forgiveness if this topic has made the rounds before, but i came across an interesting opinion on the new movies, and my first thought was to come here.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DaystromIns.../the_new_enterprise_doesnt_have_a_warp_drive/

The opinion, based on speeds used in the movies, is that due to the Narada likely having 25th century tech (which we know to be slipstream drive, like on the Aventine), and the Federation/Klingons/whoever else having 20 some odd years to have gotten their hands on the tech or info, the New universe ships have either transwarp or quantum slipstream drive.

Its an interesting read, and it makes sense.

Thoughts?

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Narada obviously has oodles of future technology, but this may or may not have involved quantum slipstream or transwarp. It could be anything. If you believe the tie-in comics, for example:

The Narada was outfitted with BORG technology, thanks to the remains of the Romulan government.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The author of that article is applying Voyager-era warp speed concepts to TOS which I think is a huge mistake. The original Enterprise zipped to the galactic rim twice (in "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and "By Any Other Name"), back to Earth, and the centre of the galaxy twice ("Magicks of Megas Tu" and Star Trek V: The Final Frontier). In "That Which Survives" the old Enterprise explicitly covers 1,000 light-years at warp 8.4 in 12 hours (for comparison, a month at that speed and they would have made Voyager's 75,000 light year journey!) The new movies are 100% in line with those. It's Voyager and the (non-canon) technical manuals which depicted warp speed as far slower than it used to be.

4. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

Something that I haven't seen anyone mention when they scream "The Enterprise went from Quo'nos to Earth in 47 seconds!" is that earlier in the film when they go from Earth to Quo'nos it takes them quite a while. I think it's obvious that most of the return journey wasn't shown.

5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

That is far from "obvious"; in fact, the specifics and the editing of the scenes in question tend to argue against the possibility.

Unless we can come up with some credible reason why the characters would wait until the very end of the return journey to suddenly note that the ship is moving again.

6. captainkirk

Well it seems unlikely that the return trip would suddenly be much faster when they have a damaged warp core. I agree that the way the scenes were written it feels like just a minute or so, but there's no way that's possible.

7. P0sitr0nic

I kinda like the Slipstream theory, it meshes with what we know about Trek science, and physics. To believe Nu Ent has slipstream makes watching and believing the new movies a little easier.

8. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

Is the slipstream ON SCREEN canon from television or is it fakety-canon from the books?

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, quantum slipstream was featured in two episodes of Voyager.

10. Dantrek

Dantrek Ensign Red Shirt

I wandered the same thing or at least transwarp since it looks so odd going into and out of warp. Also it gets from Earth to Q'onos in like 30 minutes.

11. captainkirk

The problem with the slipstream theory is that they always talk about warp drive, and the two technologies are different enough that I doubt they'd use the same name. Warp drive is supposed to work by distorting space as far as I know. Slipstream seems to be more of a wormhole type thing.

12. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

We don't really get a definitive sense of how long it took them to get to Klingon space in the first place, do we? I mean, in that case the editing allows for a longer trip, but it's vague enough that it could go either way. They might not have been at maximum speed. Also, the "sabotaged warp core" thing seems to be operating by Star Wars rules, so to speak, in which you either have functional hyperdrive/warp or you don't, as opposed to the damage actually making it slower.

With the new timeline many things may be possible... but I agree that it's hard to swallow. We could try to work more time in somehow or write in that they dropped out of warp again somewhere along the way, but then we get into the question of why Marcus didn't catch them earlier.

Not to be a spoilsport but it seems as though the fault lies with the writing.

13. P0sitr0nic

14. F. King Daniel

The new movie warp effect looks a lot like what we see in those rare occasions in TNG and DS9 when we see a ship accelerate to warp from the inside (pic HERE) It makes we wonder if the 'streaking stars' effect is just a holographic overlay meant to be easier on the crew's (and viewers!) eyes.

15. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As with every single Trek outing in history, the Enterprise moves at the speed of plot. Attempting to get the distances and speeds to reconcile is the utmost exercise in futility.

16. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder why they didn't just beam the torpedoes to Kronos, the same way Khan got there.

:)

17. F. King Daniel

The transwarp beaming technology was confiscated by Section 31, whose HQ was destroyed by Thomas Harewood. It's gone.

18. P0sitr0nic

Unless Scotty remembers it. And i dont see him actually forgetting something like that.

19. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, it *is* a complex equation. Even the best theorists and mathematicians need to keep their notes handy.

20. F. King Daniel

If he remembered it and could recreate it at all, he wouldn't have been so angry that it was confiscated.