Irrational prejudices you hold

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by JoeZhang, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

But browsing on smartphones doesn't make any noise! -the only way to make yourself 'seen' is to make a lot of noise!

2. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

And this is why people have annoying ringtones, and play loud games on their devices.

3. trekkiedane

Annoying ringtones are a must on cell-phones (I'm using the NOKIA-tune from Star Trek for known callers and the "Universal Ringtone" [edit: it's actually called "The Universal Telephone Ring"] (known from the start of The Rockford Files) for unknown callers)

Oh and just BTW:

[​IMG]

4. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Hey, I had to use one of those all the time in my old line of work. Hands-free phone calls were a must!

5. trekkiedane

You also had to wear it during your lunch? -at home? -in a bus? -while having dinner with your family? -just asking!

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

:guffaw: :guffaw: SO true.

7. comsol

comsol That Guy Premium Member

I work in a public library, and I find those bloody things to be a royal pain to deal with. In the past, if you saw someone walking around loudly talking to themselves, you knew that they were probably crazy, now you don't know if they are crazy or just on a cellphone or both.

8. John O.

John O. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When in 9th grade these hands free cell phone devices were extremely rare, brand new, only a few variants were around. When my dad came to pick me up with one, and since none of my friends had ever met my dad, they thought I was being picked up by a three-lettered organization. Sadly, they weren't surprised.

My irrational prejudice? People who drive slow. In particular, people who wait for a gap in the traffic the size of Madagascar before they pull out; or slow down so much going through intersections you'd think someone tossed a dead baby onto their windshield; or people who approach a turn in so closely you can't possibly pull out around them because they're basically 90 degrees to the entrance; or people who make such gargantuan turns that when they're approaching you they need a hundred yards just to get back onto the right side of the road. In other words: old drivers. If I can't still drive like I'm 17 when I'm 70, someone better just put rat poison in my tapioca. Accompany it with a thai hooker of questionable legality and I'll go out with a bang.

9. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

^^ You know what they say about old people in cars: They drive the way they fuck. Slow and sloppy.

10. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    True. Thing is, I have a hard time separating the believers from the belief, and I do feel a little guilty about that.

11. MetalPants

MetalPants Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The attitude of a lot of atheists on this board is that people of faith need fairy tales and boogeymen as a crutch to make it through life. Are you going to jump on them the next time a science vs. religion thread pops up?

Concerning Blacks, I probably should have I am uncomfortable around large groups of them if I don't know people in the group. But Blacks on an individual basis-totally at ease. Heck the first girl I ever went on a date with was Black and it was a fine Black man that helped me strengthen my faith in Christ.

12. Kestra

I'm actually curious about the non-Christian part. Certainly you interact with many non-Christians, right? At the very least you do here on this board. What is it that concerns you?

13. MetalPants

MetalPants Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To me, Christianity is a religion of love. Despite my many many sins and flaws Christ loves me. He loves me with a love so pure and eternal that it is humbling and the word "love" seems inadequate to describe it. It is beyond me why the whole world isn't clamoring to take part of this love and salvation. It strikes me as the heights of arrogance or stupidity that people might reject it.

14. Kestra

Interesting, I've never heard that perspective before. Thanks for sharing it. I don't want to turn this into a discussion on religion but I'd be happy to discuss a non-Christian perspective with you by PM if you're ever interested. :)

I'd also request that people don't go after MP for what's been said here, and derail the thread. I'm the one that asked for an explanation and I think it was kind to be offered one.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Plenty of non-Christians accept and believe in Christian moral values. I grew up going to a Methodist church, and I think Christianity has some great things to offer. It's just the whole God thing that prevents me from actually being a Christian.

16. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Why not just get someone else to drive you (and there are many different ways to do this)? There's no shame in doing that--it shows good judgment and a lack of excess pride, in my opinion.

There is a definite sense of superiority that some atheists exhibit here, yes. That said, I have met certain people who do defy the stereotype. They might be agnostics, though...not really sure because I haven't asked in great depth.

The caveat I would put on that, though is--to what extent do we as Christians actually make that love evident? We do need to take responsibility for our behavior and recognize that we can either respond the Holy Spirit and actually be willing vessels of that love--or we can use our faith as an excuse for selfish, cruel behavior and drive people away.

This song by Casting Crowns sums up what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAWeHo8E70E

So I don't think it's always arrogance at fault. Sometimes it's our own horrible behavior, and we had better make sure we've got ourselves straight first before we point the finger at anyone else.

17. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I am an atheist and I don't think I have ever referred to faith in that way. I don't understand how people can believe in anything on faith alone but I understand that many people do.

I am usually more fair more critical of people who believe in astrology or End of the World beliefs than I am of the mainstream religions. The religion I am most biased against is Scientology.

18. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Stupidity? Hey, dude, you're the one wanting to cuddle up to some illiterate hobo who's been dead for two thousand years. ;)

Irrational prejudices? Here's one... my gut reaction is to think that anyone with a substantial post-adolescent interest in

- Transformers
    - GI Joe
    - Pride and Prejudice and Zombies/Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

is very likely intellectually deficient.

19. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

^ Let's be careful not to cross the line from discussing people negatively in the abstract to discussing specific posters, please.

20. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

To be clear, I'm not saying that religious people are necessarily stupid; I'm just ridiculing the notion that non-religious people necessarily are. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.