USS Kelvin Cutaway (WIP)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by aalenfae, Dec 1, 2013.

1. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Already answered:

2. aalenfae

aalenfae Commander Red Shirt

[​IMG]

Alright! Finally some progress. But this time, it's a top-down deck configuration. I did this based on some new revelations I discovered concerning the Kelvin's layout. Chiefly is the fact that the Kelvin does NOT have bridge windows. We just assume they're windows, but there's actually only circumstantial evidence for that.

A careful viewing of the Kelvin's scene will reveal that the bridge is in the dead center of the saucer, and is separated from the outer hull by about 4 meters. We have to conclude that Kelvin's viewscreens are more like ... window simulations (which is consistent with other representations in other Star Treks. Just a much better budget here)

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

But that would mean that the door seen here -
    [​IMG]
    Opens directly into space. While having the bridge centred is nice any symmetrical (and fits the floorplan seen on monitors), I don't think it fits the CG model of the Kelvin or the set.

4. aalenfae

Actually, you're right - that door (the one outside in the hallway, right?) does open up directly into space! Or - at least it's some kind of docking port or something. The CGI model clearly shows a corresponding hatch there. And that's yet another piece in the puzzle in establishing that Kelvin's bridge doesn't match up to the windows on the front of the module.

As much as we'd like to believe it (and as I did before today), the windows on the front the the bridge module are not windows into the bridge. Based on all the evidence, the windows have to be either:
    -Some kind of technical feature. Maybe part of the complex 3D imaging system used to project the viewscreens?
    -Windows of some other compartment. Maybe a briefing room or the captain's ready room?

[​IMG]

5. F. King Daniel

I see your evidence, but I'm still unconvinced. I think it could still work with the bridge shifted forward to the windows.

I think we've found the nuTrek equivalent of the old debate about whether the TOS Enterprise bridge faces forwards or not:)

What are you using for your bridge and corridor size figures? Guesstimates, or is there something concrete out there I don't know about?

6. aalenfae

Well, I'm not sure I CAN convince you, then, haha. From a strictly size point of view, it "works" moved forward, but there are a host of problems, I think.

As I mentioned before, there's a lot of evidence that it doesn't belong in a forward position, and really no compelling evidence that it does. Only one shot in the movie shows enough detail to actually verify that there are windows at all on the front of the module.

Furthermore, from my studies, I don't think the ceiling fits if you line the bridge windows up with the exterior windows. It might fit, but it'd be just barely. I really think that you need the dome to fit the bridge in properly with the given evidences for deck heights.
    On the subject of windows, the windows don't actually match too well anyways. The relative width of the bridge is about 1/2 of the width of the module it's in -regardless of where it sits therein. The windows on the exterior circle therefore have a wider arc than the inner windows - something that doesn't appear to be justified onscreen.
    [​IMG]

As far as size figures, all we have to go on are photos and the floorplan from two separate monitors. One showing detail of the bridge module, and the other confirming the overall scale of the ship, and its relative relationship with the size of the bridge, which I've faithfully preserved to the best of my ability in my graphic. (Essentially, the bridge is about the same width as the dome in the middle of the saucer)

The bridge is a 14-sided polygon with three levels and two doors. There is also enough detail in the floorplan graphic to see the captain's chair which is the only set piece from the Kelvin that we have a definitive measurement for. It's 3 feet 1 inch wide, and using that as a measuring rod, we can get an approximate (close enough for our purposes) measurement of 24 feet for the bridge diameter.

That's where the "concrete" ends. The rest is 100% best guess. But there's a surprising amount of data to go on. But until (if ever) official blueprints get into the hands of the public, it's going to be all we have.

7. F. King Daniel

Also, I guess if pushed forward, there is zero space for the corridor which Robau and George walk around to the turbolift (which I believe extends further around than your diagrams, perhaps terminating at that 'extra' side window/sensor)

I had a similar issue figuring out the Enterprise bridge deck, since the corridor outside extends far further forward than the viewscreen/window. I just had to fudge and pretend it was somewhat shorter. All part of the fun, i guess:)

8. aalenfae

Yeah, I think you're right about where I've put Robau's turbolift. I've been looking at the movie, and looking at where I've put the turbolift, and there could probably be a little more wraparound based on the number of steps that George and Robau take. But not too terribly much more, I don't think.
    I'll have to finagle it around a little bit more. That sort of thing is going to have to be pure guesswork.

9. aalenfae

A pseudo-update:

Very roughly mapped some things out in 3D space, to get a feeling for how the compartments might fit in the slope of the hull and such.

[​IMG]

The main issue is that this is already somewhat outdated. I only quickly estimated the shape of the hull for illustration purposes. I'm already working on a more accurate hull shape.

10. F. King Daniel

11. aalenfae

Thanks! Though now I feel stupid. I thought that I had something going with that cutaway, but turns out, my scale is entirely off. Further research has proven that the bridge module is indeed THREE decks high (but deck 3 is half-sunken into the primary hull). Causes all sorts of problems for me, but I'm just glad to be getting a little closer to the truth here.

[​IMG]
    Yellow = Systems/Control
    Red = Corridors/Access
    Green = Other (not yet defined) compartments
    Blue = Turbolifts

12. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Particularly impressed by that first "Decks 1 & 2" cutaway view. More than I can yet manage with such software!

As for calling yourself "stupid"? Not applicable. You might have the beginnings of a separate starship class design there, and as for this latest "3 decks" iteration, I'm curious about the research that led to that conclusion.

13. aalenfae

Glad you like it! I hope to eventually get to that detail with the whole ship. But I figured it was wiser to take a step back to make sure I've figured everything out - hence the new colorful diagram.

Well, I mainly felt stupid because I so firmly held to the "2 deck" module because it "looks" that way. But when you really match up the deck lines and the windows, it becomes more obvious that the decks are "sunken in" to the primary hull by half a deck, and there needs to be another deck in-between. Kind of invalidates my previous 2D cutaway diagrams in a really frustrating way. But I don't really mind, because it's so exciting to find out how much thought and care went into planning the Kelvin. It's fun to make new discoveries about the ship!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013