Are regenerations still capped at 12?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Klaus, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Although what confuses me is why River Song was so worried about him using up his regeneration energy. She got all upset when he used it to heal her arm in the last story with the Ponds.

So I dunno I think there's still something afoot - either River's worrying about something she really doesn't or something's going to come from this Clara arc that he's going to need every bit of regen juice he's got to stay alive.

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

It all depends on where River got her knowledge of Timelords from, if it was from the Doctor he might mention the 12 regeneration, and that he is on his x th regeneration.

So if the Doctor things he is coming to the end of his life, why wouldn't others if he had told them?

3. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

...and he was mad at her for using hers on him.

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

McGann was 36 when he played the Doctor, Eccleston was 41, so the Doctor got older. I'm pretty certain the 12th Doctor, whoever it is, won't be any younger than Smith, in fact I'd say it'd be a fair bet he'll be older than Smith was when he took the role, even if it's just by a few years.

Edited to add...

[​IMG]

Looking at the Doctor overall there's definitely been a tred to go younger over time although the optimum age would still be around 40. Of course just taking the modern Doctors into account they're clearly getting younger but I'd still expect the next guy (or gal ;) ) to be at least early to mid thirties. But never say never, someone like Smith could come along and blow the casting people away again.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  5. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I hope to see an older Doctor again. It'd mix things up a bit.

6. timelord1010

timelord1010 Captain Captain

Jon Pertwee's Doctor got a massive radiation dose and he needed another Timelord's help to regenerate into Tom Baker's 4th Doctor so that could have Tennant's Doctor's concern.
    Same as Peter Davidson's Doctor, he wasn't sure if he was going to regenerate.

On a side note it was a little crazy for Davidson's Doctor to set the TARDIS in motion when he was concerned that he might not regenerate. Peri would have been trapped in the TARDIS with a dead Timelord.

7. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

1) Tennant didn't know that he was going to get killed by radiation when he was worrying earlier in the story.
    2) Davison setting the TARDIS going echoes Hartnell doing the same first time round (which, originally, was because the TARDIS, rather than travelling in time, was going to reverse time within its interior, de-ageing the Doctor... but that idea got tweaked into something a bit more mystical by the time it was shot. But nevertheless, the intent in Caves of Androzani was definitely to echo the Tenth Planet change: until it became obvious that there wasn't enough studio time left, director Graeme Harper was planning to reproduce the 'throbbing' console room lighting from the original change).

8. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Wasn't the planet erupting or something? Better to be alive in the Tardis than dead...

9. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope, not Eath anyway where the TARDIS stood. You may be thinking of Mondas, "The Tenth Planet", which did go "Fwoomp!" in that adventure. The situation had been resolved (the Cybermen shriveled to empty suits) and the Doctor, having been imprisoned upon a Cyberman transport staggers back to the TARDIS as he realizes his body is "growing a bit thin". ben and Polly enter the time capsule moments before it dematerializes and they find the Doctor collapsed upon the deck.

Sincerely,

Bill

10. Redfern

Oops! Sorry, I see you were talking about Davison's "swan song" serial.

Disregard my previous post.

Sincerely,

Bill

11. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

I would like a doctor thats tall and muscular for a change. I imagine a scene like this: With his last breath he mutters "If only I had been stronger...I could have protected everyone"...-> regenerates into 2 m 10, muscular guy ;-)

12. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Interesting! Then, instead of getting something like the First Doctor's classic speech:

"One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine."

We might simply get:

"I'll be back." :)

13. Redfern

"Oh...snap!!!" :lol:

Sadly, I too imagined a hulk with an Austrian accent based upon that description.

Sincerely,

Bill

14. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

ouch...the very thought! We need someone with a bit more acting talent then Arnold...;-)

15. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Makes me wonder if one of the "Non-Arnold" Doctors could have gone to Mars and done a less bloody job of convincing that bastard Cohaagen to turn on the reactor... Cohaagen knows it makes oxygen!!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013