Favorite blatant contradictions

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by JirinPanthosa, Dec 28, 2012.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

First of all, Pathfinder. After Message In A Bottle: Night, Timeless, Hope and Fear, they were pretty much 20,000 ly from where they were at the time, and there is no way they could have predicted where they were by assuming an 'average speed of warp 6.2'.

Also they established there was a betazoid other than Suter on the ship in Counterpoint then in Dragon's Teeth: 'What I wouldn't give to have a betazoid on the ship'.

I'm all for episodic scifi, but you'd think in the entire writing offices they had at least one white board.

Edit: Also from Pathfinder.

Janeway "Anyone know this Barcalay?"
    Doctor "Yes, he assisted Dr Zimmerman when he was designing me, and one of the times I went crazy a hologram of him tried to convince me I was human. Erm, I mean...no."

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  2. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I think my absolute favorite was Harry Kim never getting promoted (even though everyone around him was) but somehow retaining a critical position on the bridge and the command staff. If he's not worthy of promotion, then bring in someone who is.

I would have voted for Janeway supposedly fiddling with her combadge, but I couldn't have said if that was true or not.

Runners-up: these would actually rate higher than the Harry thing except they're not exactly contradictions, just oversights.

First, B'Elanna reminding Tom that he was expelled from Starfleet Academy even though he wasn't. Look, writers, if you're going to keep confusing him with Nick Locarno then don't pretend he's a different guy. Just pay the royalties and move on. It'll be easier on everyone.

Second, making friends with Captain Korok and his transwarp-capable Borg Sphere and never thinking to ask if he could take them home.

Third, Harry blathering about how witty and charming Irina is even though we never see her change expression. The girl must go through a total metamorphosis when she's off camera.

3. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

My favorite is in Unforgettable when Janeway is presented with the same exact situation twice and makes two different decisions, the fact that the episode doesn't even realize it makes it all the funnier.

4. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

My favorite is in "Time And Again" when The Doctor examine Kes after her vision of the destroyed planet seem unaware of the facts that:

1. Kes and Neelix arrived to the ship in "Caretaker" and joined the crew shortly after.

2. Chakotay and the other Maquis came on board and joined the ship at the same time.

I mean, according to the stardates, there are two months between the events in "Caretaker" and the events in "Time And Again". The Doctor did examine Kes, Chakotay and Torres in "Caretaker" and still he don't seem to remember that they had joined the crew. Now that must have been a serious malfunction in his program.

As for stardates, we also have the stardates in the episodes "Lifesigns" and "Investigations" which are totally wrong. According to those, the events in "Investigations" took place before the events in "Lifesigns" which is impossible.

And we also have "Threshold" which is a whole long contradiction. Paris breaks the threshold for warp speed, almost dies, turns into a lizard, abducts Janeway who is also turned into a lizard and they have lizard “children” and no one talks about it or jokes about it later! It's totally forgotten in later episodes.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The crew is terrified to ever mention it again. Remember how Hogan was eaten? He had been reported by Janeway's spies because he made a little jest on that planet about eating lizard eggs to survive. Something about "poached progeny".

Neelix did her bidding and sent him down the tunnel.

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This pretty much sums up Captain Janeway in a nutshell. :p

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Episode #5 "The Cloud"

CHAKOTAY: We have a compliment of 38 photon torpedoes, captain.

JANEWAY: And no way to replace them after they're gone!

They fire off 93+ photon torpedoes over the seven seasons...

Also the TARDIS-like shuttlebay, which usually barely fits the Delta Flyer yet somehow fits not only the Flyer, but a much wider ship too in a suddenly far larger bay, in "Drive"

See the videos in my sig for a load more, covering all six series and 11 movies!

V
    V
    V

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

In the pilot, they state they need 70 years to get back home. Then, after only 7 years, they are already home. I felt cheated.

9. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually would have been shocked if they didn't get home in the finale.

10. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Did you make that? It was extremely entertaining.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I did, and thank you!:)

12. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, that would require thinking outside of the box, which Voyager's writers weren't very adept at. :p

13. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

14. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

15. Lynx

^^
    There is a difference.

Voyager was at least entertaining, even when the episodes were bad. Stargate Universe was only dull and boring.

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'm only going to say this once it never happened.

But it get worse, Tom was able to get back to Voyager whilst travelling at Warp 10, so in theory should have been able to get back to Earth. The EMH would be unaffected by travelling at Warp. So in theory they could have piloted Voyager home at Warp 10 and let Starfleet reverse the adverse effects.

Sorry I've just ended the show.

17. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Also if they couldn't go warp 10, why not warp 9.999999? What exactly is the lizard threshold?

I think for the torpedoes it's reasonable to think they found a way to replace them later. But yeah, in general it feels like the writer of each episode had never watched the show before.

And the sad thing is, the ones that seem most like that are often the best episodes.

Another one I noticed, Blink of an Eye.

"We're not ready to join your time frame yet."

Why not, ten seconds later:

(Planet stops spinning fast) "We're ready now!"

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  18. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I take it your mouth is still on the floor over Quantum Leap?

19. Lynx

I totally agree. As I've stated on the Kes website under the link "Voyager's Mysteries-and how to solve them":

It never happened! It was just a nightmare Paris had after eating too much Leola Root stew or drinking too much of Neelix’s coffee.

20. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

How can you folks just wish away one of the most hilarious things that ever happened in Trek? The gift that keeps on giving.