DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

It's Dsuperman. The D is silent.

(Turning on his heat vision) I like the way you fry, boy.

Cat Grant: "So you're really free?"
    Superman: "Yes."
    Cat Grant: "You mean, you wanna dress like that?"

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  2. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

No real interest in Superman unchanged. Superman/Batman on the other hand is a must for me.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Snyder's bringing it with "Batman" so I'm intrigued to see what he can do with Supes. I've been anticipating this book with Morrison leaving Action Comics.

4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I've seen the suggestion that she could fill the Oracle role. Which, to be frank, would suit her better given the things that she's done thus far.

5. Admiral_Young

Yep. I've seen that as well and wouldn't mind that. She's an intriguing new creation. I look forward to seeing what Snyder does with her. It would seem that Batman #18 will show "Damian's death through Harper's eyes" or how she reacts to it. The way she's been introduced and slowly integrated into Bruce's life reminds me very much of the way Tim was after Jason's death.

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The S is silent.

It was more like Tim convincing him that he needed Robin in his life.

7. Admiral_Young

There was a year or two after "Death in the Family" I believe that they waited before introducing Tim Drake. Might be off a year or so. Probably only a few months or a year in comic book time.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Jason died in Batman #428.(December 1988) Tim first appears in Batman #436 (August 1989) and becomes Robin in Batman #442 (December 1989) So about a year in real time, but very little in comic book time.

9. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And probably only a matter of hours in nu52 time.

Even with the silly title I'm looking forward to Superman Unchained. Hopefully Jim Lee will stay out of Snyder's way and just draw pretty pictures.

I'll stick with Batman and... for the moment. I've always liked the idea of a Batman team-up book like the old Brave and the Bold.

10. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I guess my question would be: was Superman ever CHAINED? Hasn't he ALWAYS been UNchained? It at least makes sense for Django.

11. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm assuming it means Superman will now be more like the Punisher, going around without the "chains" of morality and just killing people. Since this is the grim and gritty New 52, and Snyder sucks, its either than or it will start a storyline setting up a super long crossover where superman will fight one of the new 52's 500 secret, never before seen organisations that will beat Superman up and prove that, in the end, he's a wimpy crybaby (In case you can't tell, I think Court of Owls is the worst Batman crossover ever, and really hate Snyder). But, I suppose you really can't ruin the character anymore then they already have. The shippers have already taken over and started writing their Superman/Wonder Woman fanfic in the comics, his main book is about as interesting as watching grass grow so you really can't do anything more to Superman. I just wish they'd stop beating his dead body.

12. Hound of UIster

Yes he was.

It is one of the iconic images of him.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/04/how-superman-unchained-goes-straight-to-the-brand/

13. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is so so much wrong with your post, but it's all opinion-type stuff, so I'll leave them be. But are you aware they have actively stated that the relationship between Superman and Wonder Woman is bad and wrong and not what is supposed to happen in the timestream? It's in the final ish of JLI.

14. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I read all of the (severly dissapointing) New 52 JLI run, and I don't recall ever seeing Superman or WW. What I do see is Superman and WW kissing, and the kiss being shown even in books they aren't a part of. I also saw them going on atleast one date. So, apparently its not wrong enough (or, most likely, the writers ignore anything that would have been mentioned in a book like JLI) and just went with their fanfic idea and just keep pushing it.

15. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I'm sensing a pattern, here. Do you just hate everything that the majority of other people like? With you it's been Snyder sucks, Johns sucks, Nolan sucks. Who exactly do you like?

16. Mike Farley

Chris Sprouse has pulled out of his digital Adventures of Superman story with Orson Scott Card.

link

On the plus side this moves Jeff Parker and Chris Samnee's story into the launch position while they try to find a new artist for Card's tale.

17. Hound of UIster

I bet that OSC story is going to get binned. There is just too much negative publicity associated with that story and the book.

18. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, I believe in critiquing the art and not the artist. On the other hand, Orson Scott Card is a piece of shit and I absolutely refuse to put any of my money in his hands.

19. Mike Farley

Who would step forward to illustrate Card's story at this point? Even if they agreed with his positions (and let's not fool ourselves, there are people working in the industry that do), the bad press is pretty much insurmountable.

20. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I imagine Summit Entertainment's execs are watching this brouhaha carefully. If comic book fandom and the industry can get this worked up over Card's bigotry, they have to be worried about the general public going apeshit when the Ender's Game film exposes Card to people outside the sci-fi ghetto.