Federation Concept Ships

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ygg, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Ygg

Ygg Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hallo Trek Fans,
    just posting a few of my recent wip concept federation ships, im not a great modeler but i like making concepts, hope you enjoy :)

F.S.S. Gagarin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

big federation carrier (Agamemnon Class)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

yet unnamed class
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  2. Ygg

the edselsior :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Edselsior. I love that.

From the Wikipedia article on the Ford Edsel:

4. Ygg

thanks, haha the associations: toilet seat, vulva, oldsmobile sucking a lemon :rofl:, updated version for the lulz
    [​IMG]

5. TrekkieMonster

TrekkieMonster Commodore Commodore

Edselsior: made me LOL. :rommie:

And ..., um ..., is it wrong that I actually kind of like the look of this ship? :cardie:

6. Ygg

only that you re now a hipster :P, did it for jokes but it really looks better than my own deflector, ill keep it, nothing beats the old vulva (does that that sound wrong? ^^)

[​IMG]

7. Atolm

Atolm Commodore Commodore

These are all pretty awesome :)
    I love them all for different reasons:
    The first one is just sexy, like a sportscar. If it were me, I'd explore that saucer-fuselage but inverted with the forked shape forward, or even more daring, rotate that forward fork 90 degrees to the vertical, and see what comes out of it.
    The second one is very daring, and ambitious... I adore that hull, and would explore that. To me, the saucer is not needed, or should be re-examined as to the rest of the ship.
    The last one is practically perfect. The shape overall is classic. the secondary hull is daring, but the saucer is not. Throwing off the whole mojo of the ship :)
    But those are my thoughts, and impressions... not yours, so technically it does not matter. Keep up the great work mate...Cannot wait to see more.

8. Ygg

oh praise from cesar.., thanks so much, it does matter a lot to me, and i can totally see your points

my concepts are still a bit conservative as i dont have quite the shaping skills yet but i will try it, with the edselsior i indeed ran a bit out of mojo for the saucer, first it was just makeshift but then i liked that i created something TOS-like ^^, but the nacelles and body call for something different indeed

i will experiment with the gagarin a bit, im sure you would make that work easily but as said im not that skillfull in working the shapes

i know the agamemnons saucer is sub-optimal, couldnt quite figure out a way to make it work, but i do work on a sister ship with a closed saucer, i will post it when i made some progress

if you want to use any of this, like reinterpret or sth you are always welcome, thanks again for the consideration, it really is an honor to me

9. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Agamemnon. Is it a starship carrier? It looks to be absolutely huge.

Also reminds me of the mothership from Indepenance Day, just with warp nacelles.

10. Ygg

^^ good comparision, maybe i take it as a source of inspiration for redoing the saucer

it was intended to be a carrier, the idea is basically one of a mobile space station to deploy entire research flleets to new star systems, the open saucer has to big ship bays intended for fleets of mainly smaller craft like defiant or nova class but should be big enough to dock a galaxy class, at current scale its about 8 kilometres long

11. TrekkieMonster

TrekkieMonster Commodore Commodore

:guffaw:

Not sure I can qualify as a "hipster" since I'm old enough that I actually remember seeing Edsels being driven on the road. :rofl:

But that does not dull my enthusiasm for the design. ;)

12. Ygg

lol well that makes you proper old school, wish i had seen that time, i love classic american cars

13. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

I like the F.S.S. Gagarin best- just wondering from an engineering standpoint what the gap in the hull is supposed to do. Shuttlebays along the sides, a specialized pod that can be carried, anything that compromises the structure that much should have a reason for being there...

The 'Edsel' reminds me of one of the more radical sketches they did trying to come up with the Enterprise E. Personally I like having the saucer section more traditional,if you made it more ellipsoid or gapped it I think you would loose that 'Star Fleet' look. To me it appears to taking a newer hull configuration advantage of some newly discovered warp dynamics.

The unnamed ship looks like a 25th century version of Voyager- blended and streamlined along the same lines the Federation has been heading recently.

Great work!

14. Ygg

thanks :techman:, i like your points, the pod is an interesting thought, maybe i could fit a detachable captains yard or something

i go mainly by the aesthetics, its supposed to be a saucer heavy design, like a spear, so i deemphasize the sec hull, the nozzle in the middle is indeed the shuttle bay, so maybe to have the shuttle bay closer to / in the saucer

agree about the edsel, i never made something tos-like so i like the traditional saucer but i will explore different shapes, maybe i can find something faster looking, maybe take it to another century, you can always have different versions of designs :)

not sure where im going with the unnamed one, i reworked it but boolean is killing me, also bottom shot
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Ygg

old concepts from my beginnings in modeling
    Warthog Class
    [​IMG]
    FSS New Berlin
    [​IMG]
    Unnamed
    [​IMG]

16. aalenfae

aalenfae Commander Red Shirt

The "New Berlin" is really interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a sphere incorporated as part of the secondary hull.

17. Ygg

thanks, i wanted to make a sciency looking ship like the pasteur, maybe would be a nice subject for a design challenge, would love to see what ppl come up with

18. Starship

Starship Captain Captain

The New-Berlin looks to much interesting. It also pushes something from my memories...
    In the year of 2006, a friend from Scifi-meshes (Nene Lassma) shared a Berlin class mesh (studio max) with me. That mesh ressembles the New Berlin in some ways. Well, I´m still searching the mesh in my old cds, and later hopefully I´ll be able to post a render.
    Was you the author of that old mesh?

19. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

I like the New-Berlin, I was just wondering about that sphere. It does add a 'sciency' look to it, but what if it was detachable? The entire ship arrives at a location to study, the sphere detaches and acts as an orbital science station and the main ship explores the region...

20. Ygg

thanks, the idea with the deployable sphere is really cool, maybe with some adjustments to the remaining hull but could totally see that

wow starship, i indeed remember sharing the mesh with someone who requested it, i named it uss berlin back in the day, it was this mesh only with different colours, i had a long break from modeling and am now getting back to it, i wondered what happened to it, small world :)