(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Yep. And it's always good to see the underdog come out on top of vastly superior opponents.

2. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

The team.

Globally, players contracted to other clubs can only move in the months of July, August and January. Players and clubs can negotiate outside of these times but the moves are not official and the player cannot represent his new club until the next window.

A player is contracted to his club who hold his playing registration. If another club wants to sign that player while he is under contract then they are not allowed to talk to the player or his representatives until being given permission to do so by his club. This permission will normally be granted when the two clubs have agreed compensation in principle - this is known as the transfer fee. (When, for instance, you hear that Kaka has signed for Real Madrid for £56m, the £56m is his transfer fee - the current world record)

There are exceptions to this for players under the age of 17, under the age of 23 and over the age of 30. Players older than 23 may unilaterally buy out their contracts but the rule about not talking to other clubs still applies so they must do so out of their own pocket.

Once a player is within the last six months of his contract, he may speak freely to other clubs.

An out of contract player may move clubs at any time and is not restricted by the transfer window. If the player under the age of 23 who is out of contract moves, then the club that developed that player will receive a compensation fee to be decided by an independent tribunal.

Clubs may also loan players to other clubs in exchange for the receiving club paying a portion of the players' wages, a loan fee or both. Typically, players on loan are not allowed to play against the club they are contracted to. Normally, loans are only allowed to be arranged within the appropriate transfer window with the exception of emergency loans where clubs are given special dispensation to sign a player, normally restricted to goalkeepers, on loan when their normal goalkeepers are injured.

It should be noted that the English Coca-Cola Football League (the three divisions below the Premier League) allows transfers more flexibly. English football's lower leagues are a bit of a special case since they are highly professional teams with well paid players employed by clubs who often find themselves needing the money from transfer fees or just needing to get players off their books. Transfer fees are becoming increasingly rare in the lower leagues.

The only league I am aware of that operates a centralised contract system is the MLS, and I believe FIFA are only turning a blind eye to that because America is the last big market they haven't really tapped in to yet.

3. HappyDayRiot

Well the England U21s have a done brilliant job of throwing away their 3-0 half-time lead I must say... could even go to penalties again. What is it with England and penalties in finals?

EDIT: ...but they won!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

ENG U21 made it a right old hard job but there in the final so great news though I will point out like all the refs so far in the cup, he was shocking and didn't book a single Swede if memory recalls despite there right back giving Walcott some harsh abuse. Hart was never a booking because the guy hadn't even laid the ball down so the keeper can take his time to get on his line and Gabby was laughable because you can't jump without your arms and they were't exactly flying about...Gabby was in the air first by a mile and the Swede just ran into him.

However saying all of that, Campbell was a total idiot and was rightly sent off infact wither challenge could of been a striaght red. Am glad the Germans won though cause we can beat them despite no strikers (why no Derbyshire in squad ?) we can play Walcott up front on his own or with Adam Johnson and maybe even start Rodwell. Joe Lewis is a fine keeper so no problem there either.

one quick thing thinking about villa again and is it me or should they dump Heskey, what he does works for cups and ENG but a full season week in week out it doesn't and Villa might be better off trying to get Campbell to have alongside Gabby, Carew & Delfonso. Also with City willing to sell Micah they should looks at that too.

5. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Becasue he's 23?

6. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Basically, being a football player in EU countries is a job like any other. Only because of the nature of the sport it's advantageous for both sides to commit to each other for a specified time period (usually between 2 to 5 years).
    When a club wants to sign a player who is contractually obligated to another club, they have to come to an agreement or the player stays with the former club (that's what the $80 million were that Real Madrid paid for Christiano Ronaldo).
    When a player doesn't have a contract (or his contract is about to expire), because it already expired, he can sign a new contract with anybody, both in the league he used to play or any other with no restrictions whatsoever; depending on how good he is, he usually gets a one-time bonus from his club then.
    And contrary to what Daedalus12 says, this is very frequent, at least in smaller leagues with clubs that aren't as financially strong as eg the Premier League clubs. The club I support almost never "buys" players out of their contracts, because we just can't afford it, and that's true for most other clubs in our league too.

"Transfer window" just means that that's the only time of the season (a couple months in summer and in winter) that a player can switch clubs.

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

8. Tomalak

Oh shite. At least he can't fuck it up on the pitch any more.

9. HappyDayRiot

He would have had to have been part of the qualifying squad to be able to be there now, like Mark Noble - I think either him or Milner is 22/23. Derbyshire probably wasn't called up before so can't be now. Which is a shame, as I imagine he was playing a fair bit in Greece this season. Probably more than that idiot Campbell, who needs to go back to Hull and stay there.

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

U21 is for people U23, you have to be 21 come the start of the Q/F and he was eligable because he played for ENG (On the 28 March 2009) and doesn't appeard injuried.

U21 Record - 6 goals in 14 caps

In greece - 5 goals in 7 league games, I heard more in cup games too.

11. Tomalak

In that case, it's probably because as far as the FA is concerned, Greece doesn't exist. He must be about the only Englishman playing abroad, so he's a dangerously untrustworthy individual. After all, if he couldn't cut it at Blackburn, is he good enough to be an England international?

Or maybe it's just because Stuart Pearce hates souvlaki and ouzo?

12. HappyDayRiot

How good is the Greek league again? But still, not picking him on that record is nonsensical. How much did Campbell play last season? Some sub appearances and and some cup games, and barely even that once Redknapp turned up.

13. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Somewhat decent, but not very good, they are #15 in the UEFA 5-year ranking.

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Couldn't cut it at Blackburn is a little harsh he seemed to do decent work there but was always on bench for people like McCarthy and Roberts even when they couldn't score.

15. Tomalak

*remembers sarcasm doesn't always translate well on the internet*

;)

16. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Not without a :rolleyes:...;)

some transfer news...

and Redknapp is less than pleased with Daniel Levy

Now Bent scoring record is quite decent despite being denied a regular place in the side for the past 2 years. However £18 million is stupid price tag for Bent and they could barter for around 14 I guess but I would accept a £12.5 million bid anyway.

Levy should not piss Redknapp off like this because Harry will have no problem quitting if hes not allowed to do his job, I doubt his CV will take much of a hamper after all he took Spurs from 20th to a top 10 finish.

17. HappyDayRiot

What kind of world do we live where Darren Bent is supposedly worth more than he was when Spurs shelled a crazy amount of money for him? Spurs are just insane.

I want to hear more about this 'stratospheric' offer Citeh have made for Eto'o. Eto'o, Tevez, Robinho and Santa Cruz all in the same team would be interesting to say the least. They really do need to get spending at the back though.

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

USA throw away 2-0 lead, ouch but good try though come the WC they probably will not make it past the last 16 at best. ENG U21's tommorow and I do think they can win the cup 2-1 though with those suspensions it will be a toughie but Germany may of had all of there luck since Italy somehow failed to score past them...Italy should of win 5-1 :lol:

19. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, the US team shouldn't have thrown away the lead like that, but I don't think anyone predicted them to even be up two goals to Brazil. You could tell by the looks on their faces how much they wanted it. I'm sad to see it end this way, but I know this means they'll be wanting the World Cup even more.

20. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral