Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Aside from Clancy Brown's excellent voicework on STAS, I was never all that crazy about the corporate Luthor. And frankly, after 25 years of it, I now find it just as boring as the Donnerverse Luthor.

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

3. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

How should Luthor be redefined now?

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hackman Luthor was sinister when he wanted to be as well. The scene from "Superman: The Movie" when he's explaining his missile/earthquake plan to Superman he's menacing as ever. He's also cold as hell when he puts the Kryptonite chain around Clark and leaves him there.

5. davejames

The strange this is, as jokey and light-hearted as many of Hackman's scenes are, I've never had a problem buying him as a threat to Superman in those movies.

Maybe because (much like with Nicholson) there's always an underlying menace and intelligence beneath everything Hackman says. It's not just simple goofing around.

That and the fact that, oh yeah, it's a comic book movie. I frankly find most comic book villains kind of ridiculous and far-fetched in these movies. Whether it's Luthor, Red Skull, or the Joker.

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like Hackman in the first movie, too. The ultrasonic message about the poison gas to lure Superman, and the follow-up about it being in the back of his mind, was another scene done well, I thought. I also like his delivery when he deduces the existence of Kryptonite.

If Otis had been written as less of a total buffoon and more deadly, Beatty could have done wonders with the part.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't find him so at all - a little genial edge in his voice doesn't make him less of a goofball. The character simply had no dramatic weight. None.

I also prefer the corporate Luthor; he's a great deal easier to buy as a threat.

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

9. Admiral_Young

Woody would have made an interesting Jor-El. He's great in "serious" roles.

10. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

If she's too old and ugly...then I want old and ugly. Amy Adams is a total foxy lady.:drool::drool::drool:

12. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Let's be honest. Photoshop does wonders.

13. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Fuck Photoshop...Amy Adams is a GODDESS! :adore:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2011
  14. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Sadly yes they were in top consideration

15. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^ Damnnnnnnnnnn...we dodged a bullet there big time!

16. Admiral_Young

I don't think we dodged a bullet. The project was in development hell for so long that it would never have gotten off the ground. From what I can tell just because there seemed to be so many disagreements about the direction they wanted to go in. It wasn't until Singer came aboard and pitched a very clear plot that things finally started to move.

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I would have loved to see that.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I honestly don't think there is anyway that would have not been a disaster.

19. davejames

Well to be fair, I have a feeling the final Burton movie would have been a bit less wacky than what we're seeing here. Anytime you look at the pre-production phase for ANY scifi/fantasy movie, there's a lot of crazy, experimental designs being thrown around. Especially when it comes to costumes.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I was going mainly by the cast. I mean, Chris Rock as Jimmy Olson? Really? And it's not a race thing, I wouldn't have a problem with a Black Jimmy, I just don't see Chris Rock as the Jimmy Olson type.