Game of Thrones 1.10 - "Fire and Blood" - Rate and discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Jun 19, 2011.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

91.8%
  2. Above average

6.1%
  3. Average

2.0%
  4. Below average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Rate and discuss (with spoilers for the episode, but not for forthcoming episodes) "Fire and Blood", airing on the 19th June on HBO and on the 20th June on Sky Atlantic.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2VDXgUInl4[/yt]

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I don't care if winter is coming, I want it to hurry the hell up so we can get to Spring 2012! :scream:

3. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

The ending sequence was almost exactly as I suspected, even with the pull back, ha! There's no way this week's could've been as good as last week and I think the show went the right way with using it as a somber look back at the season instead of trying to play it up as some sort of huge cliffhanger.

4. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

I liked it!

May have to pick up a book between now & Spring 2012...

5. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The final scene was what I hoped it would be. Count me in for season 2.

6. Skywalker

My only complaint is that the King in the North scene came way too soon.

7. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

Agreed I was expecting it at the end. I loved the Night's Watch riding out and the funeral pyre scene. The Dragons looked great too.

8. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pretty good finale overall. Better than last week, but not QUITE as good as episode 8, which is now my favorite of the season. As usual, random thoughts:

-SHAGGYDOG! About freaking time!!!

-Yeah, King in the North did come rather soon, but I was fine with the scene otherwise. I'm guessing the woman we saw there was supposed to be Maege Mormont. Nice touch.

-So without any fanfare, the Hound is now a member of the Kingsguard. You think they would've slipped in a mention of it two episodes ago while Joffrey was giving Janos Slynt a lordship, etc.

-Yeah Sansa, we ALL wanted to do what you were thinking. :lol:

-Tyrion the Hand = Fun times ahead! :techman:

-Wow, amazed they showed Cersei and Lancel shacking up already!

-And tonight's pointless sexposition scene goes to.... PYCELLE?! I couldn't even begin to understand what purpose that served. :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: And the following Littlefinger/Varys scene was redundant given episode 5.

-Liked that we got kind of a sneak preview of "Arry's" book 2 escapades. In the book the last we see of her is Yoren hacking off her hair. So I guess the fat kid was supposed to be Hot Pie and the other kid... Lommy Greenhands? Nice to see Gendry again.

-Wow, the Night's Watch is heading out already? That was fast.

-Poor Dany. She definitely has the biggest character arc of the first book. But... the baby dragons were so CUUUUTE! :adore: Two complaints though, her hair didn't get burned off, and no comet??? Boo on that!

Oh yeah, there was that rumor going around that a relatively minor male character that dies in A Storm of Swords was supposed to die late this season instead, but as far as I can tell that never happened...?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  9. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

Don't know how it is in the book, since I haven't read it, but her hair is a part of her, and she can't be hurt by fire, as already established in the series.

10. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"When the fire died at last and the ground became cool enough to walk upon, Ser Jorah Mormont found her amidst the ashes, surrounded by blackened logs and bits of glowing ember and the burnt bones of man and woman and stallion. She was naked, covered with soot, her clothes turned to ash, her beautiful hair all crisped away... yet she was unhurt."

But yeah, I guess it makes more sense that if the rest of her is immune to fire, why not her hair? ;)

11. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

Plus, if the hair from her head is burnt off, that would mean the hair from her arms, legs & everywhere else would be singed off, too...but, what the hell, its not tv, its HBO; they can show that sort of thing!

:techman:

12. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Bah, it's going to be a long wait until next season :(

Guess I'll have to get the books....

13. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I hate to be a prick about this, but surely talking about which sets will be used next season (among other things) should be considered a spoiler. No?

Probably to show that his 'harmless old man' routine is a bit of an act, and he's actually got more going on than we'd suspect at first glance.

14. Skywalker

How so? Mormont's speech about a massive expedition beyond the Wall kind of makes it obvious.

15. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Makes it obvious that nothing is going to happen at Castle Black for the entire season?

Really?

Because I didn't see anything there that made me assume the expedition would take the full season without returning, or that there wouldn't be characters that we've met at the Wall that are staying behind, or that new characters (like Arya's group) won't make their way there independent of Mormont's expedition.

16. Skywalker

Eh, true enough. Sorry, it's late. I didn't think it through before posting. :ouch:

17. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Didn't see Pycelle's sexposition coming... I did like the little twist with the 'feeble show' he was putting on, but I felt like the exposition just dragged on and on (and then we got more immediately after it with the Stark children in the crypt.

Speaking of the crypt... Finally one of the wolves *LOOKS* like a wolf! I'm guessing CG? Which was probably easier to have it look decent because the lighting in the crypt was dark so it didn't have to look perfect in those lighting conditions.

The bit with the Night's Watch heading out beyond the wall was good... Although I would have liked the Bear to mention that Jon is his 'squire' as part of the dialogue.

The ending was what anyone who read the books expected although I felt it was kind of downplayed. If I remember right in the books the bonfire actually explodes and sets a plume of flame high into the air. It didn't seem as intense a scene from what the tone in the book would have had you picture it as.

18. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved this episode and the whole season. It's much ,ore than I hoped for this adaptation, Benioff, Weiss and everyone who had a hand in this adaptation made the best possible translation of the books to the TV one could ever hope to get. This is, hands down, the best adaptation of any book I've ever seen.
    Thank gods, old and new, GRRM didn't succumb to the temptation to sell the rights to the book to some Hollywood studio which would've butchered the story to make a PG-13 kiddie film, throwing out 99% of the story ... Thank gods the producers didn't go the True Blood route by thinking that they can leave the names of the characters and some of the main story lines and invent all the rest.

There wasn't a single weak scene in this episode, everything was perfect.

P.S. I believe we got to see everyone's favorite freaks - Rorge and Biter (and cloaked Jaquen, it seems) - in the scene where Arya meets her new friends:
    [​IMG]
    The short-haired one is probably Biter, he looks insane enough ...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  19. Endymion

Endymion Captain Captain

I thought it was a great end to a great season. My full review is right here.

20. watermelony2k

watermelony2k Vice Admiral Admiral

It left me wanting more.