(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fingers crossed. :techman:

Perhaps then Venkys will fook off.

Not sure who will go up this time. Think Wolves would have been guaranteed under McCarthy, but not sure about Solbakken.

I'm going to go for Blackpool and Bolton for the automatics, and then please, anyone but Leeds in the playoffs! :rolleyes:

2. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Blackburn and QPR could be in for very uncomfortable summers next year if they don't get it right.

Nicky Maynard. I hope he knows how to cover at right back.

What a Champions League draw! Group D is superb, what a shame Ajax are in it instead of Juve though. United and Arsenal get their usual handpicked selections. Group A though....is that actually a CL group? It's almost as bad as Euro 2012's Group A!

3. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Yeeahh! Rapid wins the Europa League playoff. :)

For the fourth time they managed to qualify for the group stage as an unseeded team. While it's embarassing that they squandered their chances of improving the UEFA coefficient every time, that's got to be some kind of record. :lol:

There's nothing better in football than European Cup. Inter, Liverpool, Tottenham, Stuttgart, Lazio, Basel, bring it on! I can't wait for the draw tomorrow. :)

4. HappyDayRiot

Leverkeusen, Rosenborg and Metalist Kharkiv....

5. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Not what I was hoping for, but I'm ok with it. ;)

6. HappyDayRiot

Well you got a German side, you always like taking them down a peg or two!

This is the best transfer deadline day in years. As a counterpoint to the splurging clubs, Arsenal are looking destitute, Spurs are looking deluded and Man City have bought Richard Wright.

Richard Wright!!!

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

How fucking awesome did FALCO look :eek: (might have to check him out on FIFA 13 ;)). Another example of how PL clubs are falling behind in Europe despite Chelsea being the current champions.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well I was jealous of Forest getting Sharp, but right now I don't care :)

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Saw Forest today and we were so dominate we should of won by more than the 2-1 scoreline suggests. Charlton had 1 wide header in the 1st half and we hit the bar to go along with our goal + our possesion rate was superb. 2nd half Charlton had a better go but we still had more of the game and Sharp had a shot cleared from the front of the goal after rounding the goalie ;) He will do very well for us.

I've never seen Forest move the ball so crisp b4 with plenty of quick 1,2 passes and using the widths pretty well. Exciting times ahead ;)

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Not if you keep Camp in goal. That og was hilarious! :lol:

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

His kicking wasn't much good either, he got alot of aggro from the fans.

12. Angel4576

Camp's kicking has always been wank.

Forest have a fantastic midfield and frontline now, but if anything's going to stop you mounting a challenge it'll be that defense. The only two serious tests so far have been Bolton, who scored twice, and Wigan, who scored four.

Good times for the East Midlands at the moment - our passing at the moment, I can't remember seeing us play the ball around so easily since the days of Eranio and Asanovic. Beautiful to watch, and Watford yesterday were just utterly destroyed.

In recent years our problem's usually been to do with supply to our strikers - now, we create chances for fun. Should make for a very entertaining game at the CG. probably 5-5 on current form!

13. HappyDayRiot

Forest, Derby and the Other One all won on the same day. When did that last happen!? Are Watford/Udinese reserves are a total shambles at the moment? Not very Watford-like to lose 5-1.

A fine win for Cardiff today and what sounds like a fantastic hat-trick for Peter Whittingham. He's deserved one of those for three years, I'm delighted he got it. Just sorry I wasn't there to see it!

Southampton are learning the hard way about the nature of the Premier League, aren't they? Gutted for them, especially Rickie Lambert. He scores against anyone!

14. Angel4576

Watford were terrible.

Those that weren't loanees already looked completely disinterested - they probably know that they'll be shipped out at some point.

Zola admitted after the game that he didn't do his homework properly and was completely surprised that we were good from set-pieces. what an absolute imbecile. I loved Zola as a player, but as a Manager, he comes across as being completely clueless. Disaster waiting to happen at Watford, think they'll go down personally.....

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

^I agree, or at least flirt with relegation.

16. HappyDayRiot

I think they'll be all right. They'll have to go some to be worse than the likes of Barnsley, Peterborough and Palace. Just about safe I reckon.

17. Angel4576

Dunno - they seem to be taking a massive gamble with the Udinese experiment. Reminds me of Doncaster last season. Potentially a disaster in waiting. Of those three, Palace will probably escape. Peterboro' and Barnsley I can easily see struggling.

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah it has Donny written all over it, but even without the Udinese players I did say I felt Zola/Watford was going to be a lousy mix.

19. HappyDayRiot

The whole thing doesn't benefit Watford in the slightest - if those loanees are good, they'll go back to their parent club and be good there. If they're rubbish, well Watford will suffer. I'd not thought of the Doncaster comparison. They were slightly different as their players were a bunch of mercenaries coming from all over the place on short term contracts. Same short-term thinking though. And what about the players already at Watford - will they put in the same kind of effort if they know they could be sold on sooner rather than later?

Long hard season to come, that's for sure.

20. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

I don't agree with that at all. That's not how the Pozzo family does business. They haven't done it with their Spanish side (Granada) either.

This is a very good read from one of the best blogs out there: Watford and Udinese.

It explains Pozzo's idea of leading a club and what they have achieved in the past. Udinese's scouting network is nothing short of amazing.

Give it some time.