Star Wars: Episode VII: The Nerd Rage Awakens

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by cooleddie74, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: New Casting and Story Rumors re: EPISODE VII

Even inthe old EU, the Empire never went completely away. It lost a lot of power in the first decade, then struggled to maintain what was left, eventually finding stability after getting rid of some of Palpatine's more human-centric policies and opened up to various worlds with the ideal New Order as oppose to the human New Order. The Imperial government was more orderly and efficient than the Senate run Republic, and the Jedi I suppose eventually lost face after one to many of them turned to the dark side. By I guess 100 years after Endor the Empire is strong again and living side by side with what had been the New Republic. At some point the Empire took over again once the peoples of the Republic losts convidence in the Republic and the Jedi Order. However the Empire (proper) would oppose the Sith once the Sith betrayed them again. The Empire would get is own Force users that were not Sith nor Jedi and rule the Galaxy without the tyranny of the Sith Lords, or the ramblings of the Jedi Council.

2. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Beat me to it.
    Lol

3. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

The cutesy ball droid made me roll my eyes (and question the mechanics of it) and the overlong shot of it almost seemed to be daring me to bitch about it, but everything else looks pretty awesome.

4. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

New lightsaber accessories!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I love the internet. :lol:

6. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

So 50 years later after the Empire took over the rebel alliance is still fighting against them? Ignoring those celebrations from the special editions i'm sure there were those who wanted to hold onto power and kept the Empire going but could it really have lasted this long? Maybe now they are the Rebel Empire trying to regain a foothold.

Who might be in control of the Empire now? Which actor might be playing that General/Ruler part?

7. Ithekro

I've been wondering since it was announce what role Max von Sydow is playing.

8. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Ming The Merciless? :techman:

9. Ithekro

^Well that would be something to see again.

10. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant

These gifs are great. The creativity and humor of fans never cease to impress and entertain. This new lightsaber's already more famous than many celebrities. :lol:

11. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Kristian Harloff analyses the trailer in depth
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds7a-9lDtSU&feature=youtu.be&list=UUMVCs1F_XGueuaD9AfgTWmg[/yt]

12. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

13. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Good Morning America confirmed this morning that Andy Serkis does indeed provide the voice-over in the trailer. Also, apparently the lightsaber sound from the end of the trailer is taken from Luke Skywalker's lightsaber from A New Hope.

14. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

The (now defunct) EU showed this quite well.

After the Emperor died battle cohesion above Endor was lost. Apparently the Emperor used some of his Jedi powers to coordinate the fleet and relay his commands. When the Emperor died the command structure broke down and the Imperial Fleet retreated (also losing their flagship was also a bad sign).

However the Empire still retaliated. Remember the new ending scenes in Star Wars VI where they topple the Emperor statue on Coruscant?
    Well.. the Empire didn't stood by idly.. they opened fire turning that public place into their own version of the Tian An Men massacre.

Of course since the death of the Emperor and the loss of the Death Star became public knowledge many worlds rebelled more or less successfully but the Rebel forces still had to fight its way through the remnant imperial territory up to Coruscant which they finally took.

The EU books go into far more detail of course and some of them are actually quite good and entertaining (the X-Wing series for example) and the now legendary Thrawn trilogy which started the whole EU business to begin with.

15. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Yeah, the X-wing novels (as well as Dark Horse's comic series) sort of set up events in the earlier released Courtship of Princess Leia and Thrawn trilogy novels.
    The Thrawn trilogy was also the first use of "Coruscant" in a licensed Star Wars novel. Previously it had been called Had Abadon (in the ROTJ George Lucas draft) but Zahn used the new name and concept, and it stuck.

Makes you wonder though, if the Empire still holds Coruscant in the new canon/film. Also since Zahn pretty much got rid of the Jedi ghosts early on in his novel (They basically ascended to a higher plane), if they appear in the film in some form.

16. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

From what I know Republic and Empire existing side by side in one form or another seems to be the default anyway most of the time.
    The Republic existing by itself for a 1000 years and the Empire completely taking over seems to be the anomaly in the long galactic history of Star Wars.

So, if both of them go back to an ongoing struggle that is mostly balanced, then that would be not that big of a deal for the story really.

17. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is there an official name for that droid yet? I know some corners of the net are using names like Wilson, or my favorite, P3-L3. :lol:

18. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant

F1-FA.

R2-Score:3-2.

19. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't get the pun.. I'm dense today

20. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral