The Stephen King Megathread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Starbreaker, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I didn't read the story but I did see the movie and liked it.

2. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

well it looks offical stephen is going to write a episode of the walking dead for season 2. with Mr. king writting hopefully it will be gory .

the only problem with this show is it's breake from the comic strip .

3. label

label Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow. Pretty awesome news indeed. One of my favorite authors of all time writing for one of my favorite series on right now......

4. timothy

I know I am so excited about season 2 of the walking dead . great series = great writers . wish it was longer than 6 episodes though . amc rules for this show.
    I miss the deadzone tv series .

5. timothy

ANY idea when the pet symetry reamke will be coming out to theaters or is it going stright to dvd ?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

so after rereleasing taxi driver on the big screen for their anniversry do you think they'll do the same for :mallory::mallory::mallory: stand by me ? :mallory::mallory::mallory:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

There hasn't been any news other than they started writing a script last year.

7. timothy

well it looks like this guy will never retire he's the ric flare of writing .
    he has two projects coming up I am realy excited about .

one an eighth book in the dark tower series set in between four and five .
    two a sequal to the shinning called doctor sleep.

8. timothy

well it looks lilke stephen's dark tower tv series will be on nbc that does not give me hope.

9. timothy

has any one read the graphic novel american vampire or N ? if so how are they?

:shrug::shrug::shrug:

10. timothy

stephen king is rereleasing IT for it's 25 anniversery. with an awesome new cover.

and american vampire is just fucking awesome to the max. a must read for any fan.
    going to be picking up N this week.

11. timothy

`stephen king's sy fy show haven return's this friday for those who are interested.

12. OsmiumJohnnycake

OsmiumJohnnycake Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I recently watched two King tv movies/miniseries I hadn't seen before: The Stand and The Tommyknockers. I read the stand a couple of times in the 1980s and read the unabridged version around four years ago, so the details of the book aren't cemented in my mind. But it still felt like a lot of characters were missing details and the miniseries wasn't as rich as the book. Not really surprising. What did surprise me is that I didn't hate the miniseries. I thought it was okay. Some of the portrayals didn't really work for me but some were pretty solid (Gary Sinise). A nitpick I have is King's appearance in the film. It really took me out of the moment and he kept popping up again.

I read Tommyknockers when it first came out (not even sure when that was but I'm pretty sure I haven't read any of King's work post-1990ish), so I only have this vague recollection of it being an okay read but weak in comparison to some of his other longer books. But either way the tv movie was atrocious.

Luckily I watched Tommyknockers first so The Stand looked even better in comparison.

13. timothy

his tv movies were okay on the most part. you need to check out rose red.

14. MLJames

MLJames Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The miniseries script was based on the original edition of the novel. Only one scene was taken from the unabridged version, so if that edition of the book is freshest in your mind, it's no surprise you'd feel things were missing.

I do tend to give the miniseries some slack when it comes to details. The original version of The Stand was about 800 pages, and that's an awful lot to squeeze in, even considering the show had about 6 hours of airtime to play around with. It's much the same problem Peter Jackson and his collaborators had with LOTR: deciding what advances the plot and what, while interesting, is basically filler.

I had my issues with the cast as well. Some were flat out awful (yes, Molly Ringwald, I'm talking about you), and others did credible work but just didn't fit the role (much as I like Jamey Sheridan as an actor, he didn't fit the character as King wrote him).

15. timothy

new novel coming out this september "mile 81".

16. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pierce Brosnan is a great choice for this Bag of Bones adaptation... I just hope it doesn't suck. It's one of my favorite books of his.

17. timothy

it'll be on a&e don't know when or in how many parts. I can't wait.

18. OsmiumJohnnycake

After watching those two miniseries recently and realizing I hadn't read anything King wrote in the last 20 years, I picked up Cell. I thought it was a pretty fun read, nothing earth-shattering but definitely enjoyable. It's something I could see making a pretty good movie if they had a decent director.

19. timothy

well they originaly had the guy who did the hostil.

20. OsmiumJohnnycake

Eli Roth? I'm not really a fan although I enjoyed Cabin Fever. I miss the days when King books got really interesting directors like Stanley Kubrick, David Cronenberg and Brian DePalma.

I think you'd need someone pretty special to pull off some of the weirder things in Cell like
    the levitation and telekinesis
    without it seeming silly.