A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) Discussion & Grading

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Cmndr J Crichton, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

I wish this movie had balls that I could kick.

2. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw it the other day for something to do. I was expecting some forgettable, mildy enjoyable slasher fluff akin to last years Friday the 13th remake, and I can't say I was let down.

Rorschach, John Connor and Smallville's The Flash were in it at least

3. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Apparently you saw it recently? :lol:

I'd have to say, and apparently this is the general consensus...I really liked Jackie Earle Haley in the role. I thought he did wonderfully with what he had.

Other than that, the movie is complete and utter shite.

4. Spaceman Spiff

I went into it expecting it to be about on par with the Platinum Dunes' Friday the 13th remake. Kind of dumb, with some weird choices, but entertaining with a full audience.

So I went in with low expectations, and I was still let down. What a piece of shit. I think I read that this thing had the budget of the first FIVE Elm Street movies, and it still sucked.

5. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

There were so many little things that annoyed the shit out of me, too. Nancy's Mom can afford that house as a fucking flight attendant!?! Then there's the blonde girl, can't remember her name, but she died like Tina in the original, was it just me, or did her and her Mom look practically the same age? Then dude injects a shitload of epinephrine into himself, gets all high, but then falls asleep not 2 seconds later?

I thought the bravest thing they could have done was make Freddy innocent. When they were suggesting that, I thought it was a ballsy, brave move if they went for it and would definitely elevate the movie. But then, of course...no. Freddy really did coax the children into his hole in the wall cave that no child would ever go into because of how scary it is.

6. Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, that was just a bad idea. People like to trot out the fact that Freddy was originally supposed to be a child molester, but the studio (wisely, in my opinion) vetoed it.

Innocent Freddy could have worked, if written right. Especially if they let Haley let loose with the justified rage.

There were so many dumb choices in this movie. Some of them were laughable. One of my favorites was the Asian kid having a micronap and getting killed in the middle of recording his video blog ... and yet it somehow gets uploaded to his site.

Who the hell did that? His folks? "We ... we should upload the final video depicting his death. It's what he would have wanted."

7. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

I hate to admit...that's one I never thought of!

I must have been distracted by all the other stupid. ;)

8. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is the remake as funny as the original?

9. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The original NOES wasn't very funny. It wasn't until the 3rd movie that dark humor became a big part of the series.

That being said, the new movie isn't INTENTIONALLY funny.

10. Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, Greg Cox and I had this conversation with Davros some time back. He seems to remember Freddy spouting one-liners the whole movie, but that's not the case. As you say, he didn't do that until the sequels. In that sense, Freddy makes more wisecracks in this one than the original. Pity they're all retreaded lines from the sequels, though. "How's this for a wet dream," etc.

Davros, it'd be worthwhile to rent the original to reacquaint yourself with it. They just released it on Blu Ray a few months ago.

The Never Sleep Again documentary is out, too. I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard good things.

11. Davros

I was nearly falling out of my seat with laughter at the first one. At no point have I ever considered any of them even remotely scary.

12. Spaceman Spiff

It's different if you were laughing because you thought it wasn't scary. To each his own. But in the instance to which I was referring, you said Freddy was spouting one-liners, which is just plain wrong.

13. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's actually really good. And since it's not made by the studio, it's pretty honest. But at just under 4 hours, you have to set aside a nice chunk of time for it.

14. Davros

I do not remember him ever having any dialog that wasn't some smart assed remark to his victims.

15. Spaceman Spiff

I'm telling you, that's why you need to rent it. He actually doesn't have that many lines at all.

IMDB lists lines like:

Fred Krueger: I'm your boyfriend now, Nancy.

Fred Krueger: [approaching Nancy] I'll kill you slow!

Nancy
    : Come on, Freddy. Can't you catch me?
    Freddy Krueger: I'm going to split you in two.

Nancy: Glenn? Where are you? Are you there?
    Freddy Krueger: [whispers] I'm here.

As opposed to Nightmare 3:

Freddy Krueger: I said, "Where's the fucking bourbon?"
    [decapitates mom]
    Freddy Krueger: You should listen to your mother.

Freddy Krueger: This is it, Jennifer: your big break in TV.
    Jennifer Caulfield: [screams]
    Freddy Krueger: Welcome to prime time, bitch.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I watched this movie a few days ago. Damn. BORING!

If this topic had a poll, I'd give it a Poor.

Not scary at all. Way too many jump scares, and the deaths weren't creative at all. I didn't care about any of the characters.

At least the original had Johnny Depp.

17. Davros

They all seem about as equally funny to me.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I know what you mean. :lol:

Rorschach. John Conner, Smallville's Flash, Supernatural's Ruby, Twilight' Emmett, and the mom from Friday Night Lights. It was so damn distracting. They should have went with more unknowns. The only person I didn't know from another franchise was the girl that played Nancy.

19. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Haley was great, given what he had to work with.

Everything else was pretty shit really. Whoever cast Nancy should never work in film again. Poor actress placed in a watered-down version of the role. Not much imagination in it, and it came off as a lazy, by-the-numbers remake.

Pointless.

Rent the original instead, if you don't already own it.

20. DonnyBaker

DonnyBaker Lieutenant

1st, There were way too many "Jump Scares" if thats what they're called. Where everything is quiet and then BAM!!! a loud jolt. It got kinda old after 7-8 of them.

2nd, I thought Freddy's kills were way too quick and easy. That was the cool thing about the originals. Freddy at least toyed with his prey.

3rd, The way they started off the story with the blonde chick (who looked waay to old to be in High School) and then seemed to go from one character to the next as they were killed off didn't make sense. How did they figure out what was really going on. It was as if you were expected to figure that the last 2 characters were watching the movie with you. They dropped the ball big time on this aspect...
    Overall I give it a C-