Wii Controller Questions

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Spot's Meow, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Alright, these questions should be relatively easy to answer but I can't test them myself because I don't yet have a Wii.

I am planning on buying a Wii soon and I have some questions about what accessories are really necessary.

I'll mention that I already own Gamecube controllers and I know that they will work with the Wii. Is this only true for Gamecube games that you are playing on the Wii, or for new Wii games as well?

I know you can use them for Mario Kart...is it possible, in multiplayer mode, to have one person using the wheel and one person using a Gamecube controller, or do you have to use the same controller type when you are playing together?

Is it really necessary to buy another nunchuck? Some people have said yes and some have said no. It seems like the nunchuck is mostly used for single-player games, is this the wrong impression?

What are the Zapper or the Nyko gun really needed for?

Can all of the games you get through Virtual Console be played using the Gamecube controller? If so, I am assuming it is not necessary to get the "Wii Classic Controller." If you want to play an SNES game, would using the Gamecube controller be difficult?

How important is it to have a charge station?

And my last question, was that enough questions? :lol:

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I'll answer what I can. Pretend you numbered your questions to make it easier for lazy me

1. You can use GCN controllers for some wii games, but not others

2. You can have people use GCN controllers or Wiimotes. Unfortunately, the GCN controller is much easier to use than the wheel mode wiimote, so the person with the wiimote is at a disadvantage

3. It depends on the game. Nunchuck is used in some multiplayer games and most singleplayer. Even in Wii Play, Tanks uses a nunchuck. My favorite wiimote Smash Bros configuration uses a nunchuck. Probably a couple of Mario Party minigames uses one as well.

4. No idea

5. No idea

6. It's a good idea because it doesn't waste batteries. Up to you, though.

7. You can never ask too many questions

3. The Fatman

The Fatman Captain Captain

1) Gamecube controllers are MOSTLY for GC/Virtual Console games, but as you mentioned, there are some Wii titles that support it. They are few and far between,however, and it should mention on the box if you can use the GC controller.

2) In Mario Kart, all 4 players can use different control schemes if you want (wiimote alone/wii wheel, wiimote + nunchuk, Classic Controller, GC controller). I personally prefer the wiimote/nunchuck configuration, as after 2 years with it, it feels very natural and comfortable to me.

3) Let your games dictate which accessories you buy. If you have games that call for nunchucks, get nunchucks. I got Rayman Raving Rabbids with my Wii, so I had to get extra nunchucks to get the best play experience out of the game.

4) the Zapper/ Nyko gun are all but useless... to me. I bought the Zapper, but after I spent about a week with Link's Crossbow Training, I haven't gone back to it. I think the way the zapper is configured with the trigger in the front is awkward as hell.. and because it's nothing more than a cheap plastic shell, the game can't tell if you are even using it. So... I guess if you play a lot of shooters, and you think having a gun shaped controller would give you more control or be more comfy... go nuts. I would say pass.

5) Most VC games require either the Classic controller OR the GC controller. (some wiiware titles, and NES games just use the Wiimote). HOWEVER, the control schemes are "optimized" for the classic controller, so if you use the GC controller you may find yourself with some weird as hell button layouts that you can't personalize.

6) I had an older Nyko charging station, and I stopped using it. the battery packs had a rubberized backing, so the controller wouldn't fit in the wiimote cover, and wouldn't fit in my accessories (wii wheel or Zapper). In the end, I just bought some rechargeable AA batteries and a little charger, and that suits me just fine. The controllers do get like 30 hours of gameplay on a charge, which lasts me about a month.

4. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the information, it has been helpful in figuring out what I really need. What is up with this "motion plus" thing I have seen for the remote? Is it worth it?

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I don't have it, so I don't know. But, from what I've heard, it's what the Wiimote should have been like originally (i.e., super sensitive to what you're doing and not just moving in the general area of your movement).

6. The Fatman

Motion plus only JUST came out last week, and right now is only supported by two games: EA tennis (I forget it's proper name, apologies), and Tiger Woods PGA Tour '10. In a few weeks, Wii Sports Resort comes out, and comes packaged with Motion Plus.

Old games will NOT be patched to support it, and it will only be optional on new titles.

I would say if you're interested, to get Wii Sports 2 and the "free" motion plus, and only get more if you get games that need it.

7. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    I think you mean old games will not be patched YET to support it. They redid some GameCube games with Wii controls, so it's still a possibility in the future.

8. The Fatman

From what I've read, it's basically impossible to patch games on the hardware.

I'm not saying they won't re-release some old titles and add in motion plus support... but I think it can be safely said you won't see patches.

9. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Virtua Tennis 2009 supports it as well, but it's more tacked on, doesn't work that well according to gametrailers...

10. The Fatman

^^ lol, I hadn't heard about virtua tennis 09 at all. I really need to pay more attention to things...