So Cadet to Captain in what... a week?!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by T J, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

Yeah, but they don't go right from cadet to captain.

2. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

You do realise that even if the timeline is 'restored', we ain't gonna get a primary coloured wooden bridge with little jewel buttons? We've seen the bridge of the new E and I'm willing to bet that doesn't change with any timeline alterations.

3. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

Which means the timeline won't really be "restored".

4. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

No, it won't be restored to looking like a 1960s TV show. Thankfully.
    Anyway, this kind of nonsense is exactly why I think the timeline won't be 'restored' in the movie, but rather 'fixed' - they solve the problem and continue from there as things are. It's about the only sane way to get the TOS fundies off their back.

5. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

No, it's just an in-universe way to reboot the franchise in a weak attempt to get the TOS "fundies" of their back.

6. Qonos

Qonos Captain Captain

But seeing as Paramount is screwed by the Fundies no matter what they try and do with a franchise they own. (Oh wow, they own it? Yes they do they bought it from Gene before he died. I did not know that! Well now you know, And Knowing is have the battle.) I say fuck the hardcore fans. And refer to the two posts I posted a transcript of Shatner's SNL Get a life Skit. Because really even like 20 years later that shit just rings true.

7. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

Yes, because everyone who is critical of a movie is a "fundie" and a "hardcore fan". It can't have anything at all to do with creative differences, or taste, or personal opinion, or anything like that. You can totally fuck me though, I'd let you, but only if you use plenty of lube and a condom. ;)

8. Qonos

Qonos Captain Captain

Never pointed to you.. We is just debating. You don't strike me as a fundie, just a bit misguided in what's making trek stale :)
    Fundies never say trek has become Cliched. They just say it was never trek to begin with.

9. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

If Kirk and his crew get rid of Nero, save Vulcan, save Earth and save the Universe single handidly only to return to Starfleet and get sent back to the academy mopping floors?.....

They would be pretty pissed off!

Kirk would drive his Corvette off the cliff with himself in it!

10. Qonos

Qonos Captain Captain

What happened the last time he saved the Universe.

Um let see He had just stolen a starship, taken said starship to an offlimit planet. Retrieved said ship's Captain (Spock was the Enterprise's captain in STII Kirk was an admiral) Blew up said ship. Commited an act of war by stealing a Bird of Prey from the Klingons. Went to Vulcan, put his friends "soul" back in his body. Took all his crew went to earth got some whales, came back, got demoted to Captain for all the above infractions, and was given a new ship... Damn Who's AJP)DA is he sucking...

11. Logical Leopard

Logical Leopard Lieutenant Red Shirt

Well, my initial take on the whole "Buckle Up" scene was that it was probably the last scene in the movie. After the adventure is all over, flash forward to five years or so later, and Spock's all like "We're getting a new captain, wonder who it is" Then out springs Jim, to everyone's shock, and he yells "Buckle Up". By the stripes on his sleeve, he's a full captain. Which I believe happened when Kirk was 31, but I can stretch my imagination for Pine being that old for the last seconds of the movie.

Then, I thought that possibly Kirk stole one of Pike's shirts....

But one of the best theories I've heard so far is the Kobayashi Maru scenario. Kirk fails it the first time, then, after he rigs it, confidently strides onto the "bridge" and tells Spock to "buckle up" That's my current front runner.

12. Logical Leopard

Logical Leopard Lieutenant Red Shirt

Oh, and I think that Kirk is a command school candidate in the movie. No way is Kirk a Cadet and Chekov an ensign. The "black shirt uniform" doesn't look like a uniform as much as it just looks like the undershirt under the colored uniform tunics. Maybe Kirk gets thrown into the main action and since he doesn't have a shipboard assignment, naturally doesn't have any shirts

If he is already an officer enrolled in some kind of advanced command school, he probably could be in command during most of the action because he outranks them all. Either that or he tells everyone he does.

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

oh I like that, I can see that happening..

14. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

That was a special case if you got the supercool ending by totally neglecting your studies. If you actually did your work in class instead of assing around with the Meclanti, you get the far less glamourous outcome of becoming a junior helm officer and your cadet buddies all going their separate ways.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

He could try eHarmony, or something.

16. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

Everyone here seems to be missing the point of what has been established for Kirk's history - that should fit with in the frame work of the movie.

" At Starfleet Academy, Kirk became the first person to beat the Kobayashi Maru simulation by rewriting the program to make it possible to survive the "no-win" scenario. He received a field commission as an ensign and posted to the USS Republic, then was promoted to lieutenant junior grade and returned to Starfleet Academy as a student instructor. Gary Mitchell (Gary Lockwood), then one of Kirk's students, remarks in "Where No Man Has Gone Before" that one could either "think or sink" in Kirk's course. Upon graduation in the top five percent of his class, Kirk was promoted to lieutenant and served aboard the USS Farragut. Having risen rapidly through the ranks after leaving the Academy, Kirk received his first command while still quite young.

At the age of 31, Kirk received command of the USS Enterprise…………"
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_T_Kirk)

Kirk is most likely an instructor (black shirt) at the academy when the major event happens (caused by Nero), and Starfleet presses everyone into service, including cadets and instructors (Kirk).

That's when/how Kirks gets McCoy to "sneak" him onto Pikes ship - The Enterprise.

*Though the writers may have bumped down his age a bit from 31 to 28.

PS - I believe that when we see Kirk driving up to see the Enterprise, it's just after the bar fight in San Francisco (look at his banged up face), and just after that he enrolls to Starfleet. That then gives Pike four (or eight) years to command the Enterprise until Kirk is finally captain.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  17. DontFeedPhil

DontFeedPhil Fleet Captain

Yeah, this whole "how long does it take Kirk to become captain and under what circumstance is my "Only" concern with the movie". And Im pretty confident that it will be told in a believable way...

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Gotta wonder how much time passes between these pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

McCoy has gone from awestruck noob to wild-eyed, grizzled veteran.

Whats his line about space?

“Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence.”

19. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

Scotty doesn't come on board until after the drop onto Vulcan. The 4th and 5th images at least should be switched.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2008
  20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

How unnecessarily picky.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2008