The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

The Donner Diaries. This Fall on the CW.

* Cue melancholy folk guitar. *

2. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ FTW

Great episode, except that I missed the last 15 minutes thanks to changing the clocks back and being really tired.. Oh well.. That's what On-demand is for!!

I know Shane is mentally wrestling with the things he's done, but what's with the "local yokel" accent he's developing. I know he's wearing Otis's clothes now (isn't that a real kick in the teeth), but all of a sudden he's gone all "Sling Blade" it seems with his looks and mannerisms.. I found that to be very distracting.

3. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

He'll start making the zombies line dance playing a banjo soon...

A seriously good exploration of the human condition with some fun and scary brainless carnage thrown in--what more could you want in a show?

And that girl? She's got to be dead, as implied by the flower.... although some stuff indicating signs of life was found at that big farm structure by Mr. Crossbow.

Hm.

4. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

The implication is that they will. In last night's episode Herschel told Rick there was no need to go towards the barn and would consider that they could stay if they "followed the rules." Also, why else would he insist they disarm unless something else was going on around the farm?

5. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I kind of think Sophia encountered a one handed Merle in the woods and he's protecting her now.

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Merle's a head trauma hallucination of Daryl's. There is a commercial that aired during Hell on Wheels showing him take a fall with a good crack to the head while out doing his solo searching thing.

7. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope Sophia's not in the barn. :(

Am I the only one thingking that there was an awful lot of filler in this episode? I understand that not EVERY week can feature hordes of zombies (nor would I want this show to be all running and gunning - we have Resident Evil movies for that), but the only valuable storyline was Lori confirming her suspicions, and the growth of the "Glaggie" relationship. I'd think that the Lori / Glenn stuff could have been part of another episode and we'd have little to carry the show forward this week. I hope that future "breather" episodes can still move the individual plot lines along.

Mark

8. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, there is a bit more going on in this episode then what it looks like. A few of the seeds for what happens to the group next were sewn (as long as they are still loosely following the comic).

9. Obiwanshinobi

I didn't watch Hell on Wheels, so I mostly likely missed it. So he didn't survive after all?

I thought I saw him in a preview for next week too.

10. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Haven't read the comics so if I'm right this isn't a spoiler but I'm guessing Hershel's zombie wife is out there. He mentioned losing her to the plague and his "don't give up hope" and comment early on about how wrong, in hindsight, it was to ostracize AIDS patients would seem to indicate he doesn't believe they're just walking corpses.

11. DarthTom

Good catch as well. If they really want to be cruel and go out there, Sophia will be zombie food for Herschel's zombie wife if you're right. That might be too intense though for a TV audience.

Edited to add: isn't this whole thread known to contain 'spoilers,' since it's labeled that way? So anyone that reads it should expect spoliers in the conversation?

12. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

The point is that it contains spoilers to those that haven't seen the show. Intent is to try and keep spoilers from those that have read the comics a bit more under wraps. Kinda a two-tiered spoiler system here :)

13. DarthTom

I see. Well, unless one of the posters is part of the acting, writing, or production staff it's all speculation since the show is straying off the comic book storyline.

14. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I believe Kirkman has said in interviews that they are using the comics as a roadmap, but that there will be detours.

I could list off the names of the current characters still alive in the comic as of issue 90, and while not a spoiler for the show, it's a good indicator of where things are headed.

Rick, Carl, Andrea, Sophia, Glenn, Maggie

15. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Actually, no, there would still just be one, though Tyreese was quite a bit different than T-Dog has been portrayed.

I didn't think it was filler. We saw the overt beginnings of a relationship between Glenn and Maggie; we learned that Lori is pregnant; we saw the early stages of Shane wrestling with killing Otis;. we learned that there's still a chance Sophia is alive; we learned that at least one zombie has gotten to the farm, despite Otis's prior claims that none had been there; we heard hints that Otis is likely hiding something (disarming Rick's group, "follow the rules" and so on); we got good character moments between T-Dog and Dale, between Daryl and Carol, and between Rick and Otis; and we saw the group starting to settle into a new environment. I think this was all worth an entire episode.

Based on comments from the producers, Meryl is definitely still alive and out there somewhere.

Please read this post. The basic point is that spoilers for what has aired is fair game, as is typically the case in any other series or movie discussion thread. Speculation on future events based on what we've seen in the show is, of course, also fair game. Spoilers for the comics, however, should be kept in spoiler code, because there are plenty of people watching this show and posting in this thread who have not read the comics. It would be incredibly rude, in my opinion, to spoil those people on potential future events.

Not just Kirkman, but Darabont and Gale Anne Hurd as well. I haven't read any interviews with Glenn Mazzara, but I imagine he'd echo that line as well.

16. sojourner

Right, you did. As hallucination that Daryl is having.

17. Obiwanshinobi

Hmm, maybe he'll come back later on in the season.

18. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Agreed. The scene was nicely played.

19. DarthTom

One thing that doesn't make sense to me is the total absence of walkers on the farm. In season 1 the walkers were coming up Stone Mountain and for those of you famailiar with the ATL area it's a fairly steep climb to by accident fall into the camp. Whereas Herschel's farm has livestock and there doesn't seem to be walkers for miles.

Why are the zombies ignoring Herschel's farm? Wouldn't a generator produce a lot of background sound to attract them? What about the lights from the farm house?

20. sojourner

I didn't think that was stone mountain where they were camped. Not enough stone or mountain to it. And I don't think there is a quarry near stone mountain nevermind on stone mountain. They may have been near stone mountain, but not on it.

Herschel's farm is living on borrowed time. Eventually it will be "found".