2016 Ships of the Line Calendar Contest?

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ptrope, Aug 12, 2014.

?

How do you feel about the 2016 Ships of the Line Design Contest rules?

Poll closed Aug 22, 2014.
  1. I plan to enter the contest with an original design - I'm fine with the rules as they are

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. I plan to enter the contest with an original design if they get the format rules straightened out

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. I want to enter the contest, but I don't want to give up the rights to my original design

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. I plan to enter the contest, but only with an existing ship design

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. I don't plan to enter the contest, but I think the rules need to be straightened out

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. I don't plan to enter the contest, so the rules don't really matter to me

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  7. Send me 52 weeks of Time and bill me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Take Two.

<image removed at poster's request>

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2014
  2. Fuzzy Modem

Fuzzy Modem Commander Red Shirt

Perfect :D

3. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Considering I resubmitted my "Take Two" shot of the Defiant and Cube last night, I'll wait til tomorrow to submit this, but seeing as everyone else here is pushing their own designs, here's my Ent-F from the "Design your own Enterprise" Contest for STO getting a fresh airing.

Yes, the mesh is hideously low poly, so I've used every trick up my sleeve to hide this fact. I think it holds up when viewed as a whole, just don't look too close :P

[​IMG]

4. Fuzzy Modem

Nice, I remember that one. :)

5. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Yeah, I don't get that. Seeing the new designs was one of the best parts in the other calendars. Restricting it to only canon designs just seems so... limiting.

6. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

Well as they say, art thrives on limitations.

7. Fuzzy Modem

Or simply pick a mentioned but unseen class from those listed above (Andromeda excluded). Research will set you freeeeee! :p

8. Starwolf

Starwolf Ensign Newbie

Isn't that the same ship design you entered in the Star Trek Online Enterprise-F contest a few years ago?

If I remember the rules of that contest, it said that once you submitted your entries, you lose all rights to that design to CBS. So if you're entering the same design, aren't you in violation of that contract?

9. Fuzzy Modem

The design can't have won a prior contest, and while I did win the unofficial fan vote, I didn't make it into the judge's top 25.

CBS obviously owns the rights to all designs seen on the show, yet those designs are still eligible for this contest, so I don't think it will be an issue.

If it is, meh. I never enter these things expecting to win. (Though I managed to place 7th in the Star Citizen reality TV show and Runner Up in the Eve Online CCP vote.) Worst case scenario I'll still have a nice new image in my portfolio:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nYutltozzY&list=UU3L6Kat6hf07F5ABe9g1ocQ

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  10. Fuzzy Modem

Nearing completion, but I'm worried that it's starting to look like something you'd see painted on the side of a van. However, the judge's are looking for "Heart" above all else, so maybe that's fine.

Also thinking of adding a Klingon Bridge view screen, a bit like this:
    http://julalien.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/st_ships_interior-9.jpg

-with a terminal in the corner showing the locations of all the birds of prey clearly.

11. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Can't see an Image, Fuzzy.

12. Fuzzy Modem

[edit] Oh, yeah, not posting this ref image here because it breaks the format. Too big.
    http://julalien.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/st_ships_interior-9.jpg

Ended up not trying to do something like this. Instead working on a single bird of prey de-cloaking as it fires, to give away the rest. It's a tough balance between visible and invisible when presenting an image to the viewer for the first time.

How are the rest of you doing? Any brain storms or problems?

13. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Oohhh so you weren't going to post your sub? Fair enough. The way you worded it I thought I was supposed to be seeing your pic :P

14. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm curious to see how this goes. Either my Google skillz are poor or there aren't a lot of folks talking about this. Does this mean a lot of people are doing rather than talking?

15. Fuzzy Modem

I'd love to, but don't want to risk it, having never learned why I didn't make it into the Design the Next Enterprise contest top 25 (also film festivals and The Next Great Starship contest reality TV format got me into the habit of waiting for them to premier my material before I got to share it.)

I'll post it after the contest closes if I don't make the lucky 13.

I'm curious too, but I'm certain there a quite a few talented contestants we'll never hear from. I can't wait to see what they produce!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  16. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I submitted 4 things altogether. One was something I had lying around which doesn't stand a chance, 3 I actually tried hard on (the 3 I posted here). I just don't have the knack for a fifth in me at the moment, or rather I don't have any meshes with which to use to make a fifth. I'd love to do something with a Galaxy Class, but both of mine are either unfinished of crazy crazy low res.

17. Fuzzy Modem

You are pretty good at effects, You could try something like this from this distance with one of your low poly models:
    [​IMG]

I'm still poking at colors, but I'm about done with my cloaked birds of prey piece. No new ideas looming...

...but with only a few days left 'til the competition closes...

18. Fuzzy Modem

Just realized there would be a crease down the middle where the fold will be. Might have planned my layout differently...

19. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Well, I managed to get a fifth out of me :P Just submitted it. Forgot I had my NX-01 Refit mesh just lying around. Feeling pretty good about that one too.

20. Fuzzy Modem

Nice! That's a fun one, as we never got to see her on screen.