IDW's newest plans

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ryan123450, Jul 20, 2010.

1. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been a big fan of alot that IDW has done, but their latest upcoming issue annoucement has me bored.

Khan: Ruling in Hell- Rehash. We've heard this story before, and I wasn't very interested the first time.

Captain's Log: Pike- Why does every other Pike story that comes out have to take place directly following "The Cage?" The guy was captain for more than a decade, lets spread out a little and build around something new.

Burden of Knowledge- Yet another 5 year mission outing. I wonder how many hundreds of adventures we've seen from that period already. And not even the full 5 year mission. There are hardly ever stories that take place with the early "Where No Man Has Gone Before" crew or the later TAS crew.

Oh well, maybe they'll come up with something better next time.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Outside of the John Byrne work, you can count me as one who has been disappointed with IDW's overall output. Paper-thin stories for four bucks a pop just aren't my cup o' tea.

3. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ Wait for a series to conclude, get the trade paperback.
    Or even better...
    buy it used!
    ;)

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I've picked up a few of the trades. Really liked the first Alien Spotlight trade and have a soft spot for Klingons: Blood Will Tell.

5. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

I was thinking the same thing.

For the most part IDW's Trek comics have been pretty good (particularly Alien Spotlight, Blood Will Tell and Byrne's Romulan stuff) but there have been several clunkers as well.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Still no post-Countdown TNG story featuring Captain Data and Ambassador Picard?

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Any word on more New Frontier outings?

8. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've enjoyed quite a bit from IDW, like Alien Spotlight, Klingons:Blood Will Tell, all the byrne stuff, Spock Reflections, Nero and of course Countdown.
    But the stuff they've put out so far this year, hasnt exactly set the world on fire for me.

9. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm iffy on the bulk of IDW's product. I enjoyed the Captain's Logs, particularly Harriman, Blood Will Tell, Crew, Countdown, and many of the Alien Spotlights, but I haven't really been snagged by their TOS or TNG stories. I thought the DS9 story was okay, and didn't care for the Nero mini or New Frontier story. The cover artwork is usually excellent though for all their works.

That being said, I'm looking forward to the Khan books.

10. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Seconded!

Any news from Comic Con about IDW's plans for the future?

11. ProwlAlpha

ProwlAlpha Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yea, TNG's Ghosts was not that thrilling and now we have another TOS 5-year story and a Post-Cage Story, come on. We need more Post-TNG STXI and more middle mission Pike. It would be nice to see a non-Post TUC Sulu story.

12. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i want more NF and a goddamn Titan comic.

13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

IDW's main presentation is happening today, 12pm PDT. If they're going to say anything about Star Trek, it would likely be then. Their press release really only talks about "Infestation," which could be anything, really, and probably nothing to do with Star Trek.

14. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Any news from that yet?

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Yup. Especially Titan.

16. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

17. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

^ Yup, that's me back there. That would've been Friday...

Also, Captan's Log: Jellico has been solicited for October....

18. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Awesome, looking forward to it, do you have any other Irons in the fire at IDW KRAD? Any movement on the Red Shirts series?

19. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

^ Nothing solid planned with IDW at present, though that may change.....

20. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Guest

The problem with IDW is that unlike Pocket Books, it has no forward direction. The draw of comic books is getting the next issue because you want to see what happens next.

IDW should do an ongoing series that does for Star Trek what it does for Transformers and keeps the story moving forward. Pick a time-frame and stick with it. Or pick a few time-frames for a few series and stick with them. They should do a series that focuses on pre-TOS Star Trek (ENT era, Kelvin era, in between, it doesn't matter), TOS or pre-TNG Star Trek (TOS era, movie era, "lost" era), and a TNG-or-later Star Trek, preferably post-NEM for maximum freedom. IDW can have its own version of the late-24th Century like Pocket Books has theirs. Three different series, three different time periods, all on-going.

Then have any mini-series you want on the side but at least IDW's Star Trek line will have a focus.