Travis Mayweather

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Taylirious, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

He could have had a scene where he was eating a chocolate bar and that would have given us 100X more personality than what we got.

The most interesting thing about him was that his girlfriend was in Starfleet Intelligence. Those were pretty good scenes.

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

More Travis-centric stories would have helped. It wouldn't have had to be much, but at least give him a story each season actually about Travis, rather than occasionally being the first victim character. And he had an impressive physique in his tank top during the prisoner torture/interrogation scene of "In a Mirror Darkly"; he should have had more action scenes.

4. teacake

I always thought it odd that no one ever commented on that physique. The guy was built. I would have thought Reed would have made some little aside about it at least.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Anthony Montgomery's shown in other projects (and in outtakes and behind-the-scenes material) that he can be very natural and humorous, but for some reason it never came across with Mayweather (at least I didn't think so). I don't know if it was because of the way the character was written or because of the direction he received. It's too bad; I really liked Mayweather's backstory and the concept of Boomers. I wish they'd retained the character's original "veteran space jockey" concept though, instead of the wide-eyed naive ensign he eventually became.

6. teacake

I don't get that at all. He was this "oh gosh" kind of kid in personality, yet he looked like an Adonis and had supposedly more space time then all of them put together.

It was a big mess.

7. Melakon

8. teacake

And the thing is we didn't need any other wide eyed "oh gosh" kids on that ship because the premise was they were all a bit like that!

There should have been terrible turbulence scenes where everyone is freaking out or being sick and Travis is just eating his dinner in the mess hall.

9. Skywalker

I think the presence of T'Pol also kind of undercut Travis a bit. With her and her fancy "Vulcan star charts," Travis' experience as a lifelong Boomer became mostly negligible.

10. teacake

A grizzled old boomer would have been better. One who grumbles about Archer's decisions because back in his freighter days they would have done differently.

They tried to give Travis a personality in the books but they just turned into tantrum boy.

11. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

It sounds logical, doesn't it? In a visual medium, the most experienced veteran of the crew shouldn't be played by one of the youngest actors.

(TMM, still thinking about his "Andre Braugher as Mayweather idea)

12. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the tv writers should've used Travis' knowledge as a spaceboomer when it came to dealing with certain planets and aliens his family ship the Horizon had encountered. I know from reading an old interview Anthony is a martial artist and Choreographed the Maco Training scenes in Harbinger and stared in a martial art movie that was filmed in China few years ago.

13. teacake

That's it then, they should have made him a ninja. He already has the invisible part down pat.

14. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno, in the mirror episodes he was pretty convincing as a military type.

15. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

It goes to show what can happen to a character when the writers have no imagination.

16. Joby

Joby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah the guy was built, on equal footing of physique and good looks as Trip or even moreso. It seems that time has lessened fans hatred of Travis. I remember back about 10-11 years ago fans on here would really go after poor Anthony Montgomery and Travis Mayweather. You couldn't tell who they were more pissed at the actor or character. Day after day this is a variation of what I would read here:

Travis doesn't do anything, he always has that stupid smile on his face, Travis is useless, he has that stupid smile on his face, he acts so immature, he has that stupid smile on his face.

I remember around a decade ago the ladies here really loved Trip, Reed and Archer (especially Trip and Reed) but Travis was just as good looking but (probably b/c he a black dude) the poor guy never got the same fan attention from the women. It was tough to call it as racism b/c there was never concrete proof either way, but sure as hell looked like the reason on the surface for the poor guy. He was the least developed of all the supporting players. They had 4 whilte male actors and then they stick this one good looking black guy in there and give him nothing to do, but Star Trek fans instead of turning on the writers/directors spewed venom at actor Anthony Montgomery.

Today after reading many posts here it seems like fans have decided to be much more fair to Anthony/Travis then a decade ago in GW Bush's Presidency. It wasn't all Montgomery's fault as much as it was the writers setting up some interesting backstories and then dropping the ball by never following up on them. I really liked the space boomer idea as well, and I wish they creators made more of it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  17. Melakon

Sometimes I read posts that criticize Travis, Tuvok, or Sisko and wonder if there's some sort of unspoken or subconscious racism going on, even though every incarnation of the franchise has featured a black actor. It's as if some people are stuck in a 1950s mindset.

18. Skywalker

I didn't join the Trek BBS until just before the end of ENT's run and I wasn't a part of any big Trek sites before then, so I don't know what people said about Travis/Montgomery back when the show was airing. But a lot of people seem to have softened their stance toward ENT in general in recent years, so that's probably a part of it. I know that I didn't really come to truly appreciate the show until I finally watched every episode from beginning to end back in 2011.

19. teacake

It's a bit of shock seeing him in the MU after all that blandness.

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Travis Mayweather was Harry Kim 2.0!

Not sure why they didn't learn anything from Harry being so boring.