Amazing Spiderman #700

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by BillJ, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Still doesn't seem to me like they were shooting for a jumping on point with this initiative. Even the synopses I've read for upcoming NOW! titles indicates that they will come with plenty of pre-existing baggage from the previous titles.

2. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just like decades worth of pre-teens did in the Before Times, just pick up whatever issue is on the stands and start reading. You'll figure it out, it's not that complex.

And no, today's books are not that much more complex than those of times past. Just more drawn out.

3. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

And how is that working for comics industry today?

4. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

I think there's some interesting story potential here over the next year or two leading up to the inevitable return of Peter Parker. However, I really, really hope Mary Jane realizes what's up and that something is wrong and gets the hell out of there. If they have Mary Jane get involved with someone masquerading as Peter Parker without her knowing it, I'm out. I find the notion extremely creepy and don't want to read about a Spider-Man that would lie to women to sleep with them.

5. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

If SpiderOck keeps calling her "woman," I'd hope MJ won't stick around for long. :)

6. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

And Marvel includes a recap page at the beginning of every issue, so it really is pretty easy to grasp what's going on. I've found those recaps to be useful when jumping into a title that I hadn't read in years, or had never read at all (i.e., some of the newer titles like Avengers Academy).

The solicitation for an early SSM issue (can't recall which one at the moment) states that Carlie Cooper may be close to figuring out the truth, so I'd think that the one person who knows Peter Parker the best should be able to figure it out too.

7. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i'd bet the 'twist' will be that Carlie figures out something is wrong but MJ is completely oblivious.

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It all depends, on if Otto wants the supermodel free and clear, or if he wants to juggle until everything explodes.

Otto doesn't seem like he ever pulled quality or quantity.

(Aunt May isn't quality? Well if they were the same age maybe? But he married a woman at least twice his age!)

This could be more important than saving or destroying the world.

Getting some.

Oh.

He's probably often paid for both quantity and quality.

I keep forgetting that every woman has a price.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Originally Spider-Man was not announced as part of Marvel Now. Then of course we got the mysterious "Superior" teaser and thus the rest is history. Daredevil will be rebranded with the Marvel Now label as of next issue I believe but nothing is changing with that book.

Superior Spider-Man #1 is a continuation of a current story line, the "jumping on" point being that there is now a "new" character in the role of Spider-Man and old fans and new fans alike can follow Otto's journey of redemption (Slott used those words in a recent interview), but it's not a brand new story or something like that.

Fans can start reading fresh if they so choose, or if they go back and read the trades that lead up to Superior's story. I don't see what the big deal is here. I don't recall Wacker, AA, or Slott ever saying that Superior was meant to be a "Jumping on point" those are kind of what the "Point One" issues are supposed to be for anyway.

11. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whew. Given how permanent all the other "major story" deaths at Marvel have been, I was really worried ... :rolleyes:

At this point, isn't Uncle Ben the only person in that universe who stayed dead?

12. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well Gwen Stacy is also still dead at least in the regular Marvel universe.

Sadly some of the fans don't get that for some reason hence why we get Spider-Man selling his marriage to Satan.

13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Marvel would want a Peter Parker book on the market when the second Andrew Garfield film reaches theaters. If so, that would suggest 18 months for the storyline to play out.

Stepping back from that, Marvel needs to have SpiderOck fight all the major players in Spidey's rogues gallery to show how different and superior SpiderOck is. (DC did that with both Jean-Paul Valley and Dick Grayson; during their tenures as Batman, they battled all the major villains.) Plus, Otto fighting Green Goblin would be entirely different than Peter fighting Green Goblin; the animosities are similar, but for different reasons.

There's interesting ground to cover, that's for sure. But I don't see it as a permanent change to the character because it's not something you can easily explain. :)

14. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I don't understand how anyone could think this is permanent. This is just another story that's going to play out. One story in the character's fifty year history. It may go on for a while, but Peter Parker will be back as Spider-Man soon enough. This is an absolute certainty.

15. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah like Johnny Storm's "death". That lasted like a month.

If Bruce Wayne can die and come back then Peter Parker can come back

I'm thinking "Superior Spider-man" will be a battle between Ock and Peter over who can be the best. Somehow Peter will survive.

Maybe the golden octobot holds peter consciousness

16. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

No that lasted a year.

I think it's more likely Peter's is still there in his brain and that it's just being repressed by Otto.

17. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Pretty much got it. Otto blocked Peter's hack of the octobot...but Peter might have been able to use it to transfer his conscience into Otto's brain. There is a panel in Avenging where Otto reacts to a mugging despite himself, and dismisses his reaction as nothing but instinct. The word instinct is in bold.

Peter is not dead, Bruce Wayne didn't die either, he was sent through time, and nor did Johnny (he was merely trapped in the Negative Zone and thought dead by Ben).

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  18. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Edit: Somewhat beaten to the punch by Admiral_Young.

Peter's memories are in his body, but #700 explicitly showed that the golden Octobot was unable to physically connect with the body in order to transfer Peter's full imprint back in. Due to Spider-Ock's neck armor, the bot was only able to "wirelessly upload" Peter's memories.

That bot should still be out there, but now with no one's consciousness driving it since Peter-in-Ock is dead.

19. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

We also have the Parker clone jackal created that helped during spider-island

Kaine

20. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Except for out of habit - the interesting question for me has to be - why? The last time a comicbook seems to get a raise in sales because of a film is when the Burton Batman was out - beyond that. At best, a movie seems to slow decline.