New 'Watchmen' Footage from Spike TV Awards

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Locutus of Bored, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  2. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    How good of an adaptation this movie will be remains to be seen, but man, it sure looks amazing!

3. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It mostly looks amazing.

I fear Snyder's love affair with slo-mo. Used in moderation slo-mo can be wonderfully effective. If every other shot is slowed down, it sort of loses it's kick.

Silk Spectre's look is rather awful isn't it?

But love the Dr. M/ Laurie kiss in front the mushroom cloud, the Mars construction shot, and the last shot with the smiley button. Casting Jeffrey Dean Morgan as the Comedian was sheer genius.

It all makes me very nostalgic for high school.

4. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't see Carla Gugino (Sally Jupiter) in the clips. :mad:

5. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry, I've just cum

6. Good Will Riker

Good Will Riker Admiral

The little touches that you see in the comic book is all there in the trailer.

Man, I really hope that the 2 hour 45 minute cut is kept intact for the final cut. :cool:

7. misskim86

misskim86 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow amazing I can't wait.

8. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Wowza.

Awfully hot.

That was Nite Owl, and FWIW, in the book...
    it's part of a dream sequence of Dan's.

9. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Any update on whether the lawsuit will affect the movie's release? Because I'm really looking forward to it.

10. watermelony2k

watermelony2k Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice. I don't care if the theatrical release gets cut down a bit, so long as it all ends up on DVD as an extended cut as Snyder says it will.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, agreed.

Overall, this movie looks amazing.

12. Lapis Exilis

If you like cheap hookers in goofy latex. Which I'm sure plenty of you guys do. :p

Whoops. I knew that. *hands head in geek shame*

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

This does look pretty awesome. And I must be the only one who wasn't bothered by the slo-mo. For one thing, it really makes the trailer stand out; and plus most of the slo-mo scenes were so damn cool they DESERVED to be slowed down. :D

I have to admit it IS a bit strange to see these characters suddenly jumping and gliding around like superheroes though. My impression from the comic was always that these were just normal people with a little bit of training who basically moved around like you and me. In fact for most of the comic all they do is stand around and talk.

What Snyder's done with it definitely LOOKS cool as hell, it's just a lot more stylized and "superhero-y" than I always imagined it.

14. Yassim

Yassim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Did anyone here know who was saying "God help us all" in the trailer? It took me a second to place when the Comedian says that... the fresh scar helped.

I don't know... the individual moments make me squeee! but as a whole, it feels like the same two tics over and over... slo-mo shot, ultraviolence... slo-mo, ultraviolence... and then slo-mo violence.

I'm surprised Dreiberg's dream is still in there... what got cut, if not that?

Looks like the aging make-up on the Comedian leaves something to be desired. And Rorschach looks strangely Spiderman-esque in some shots.

I'll be first in line, but I'm trying hard not to let my expectations run wild...

15. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

She looks like a competitively-priced hooker to me...! :p

16. Lapis Exilis

Hey, I got nothing against hookers, cheap or otherwise. I just don't believe someone going out to kick ass would dress like one. Do you have any idea how uncomfortable latex garter straps are?

17. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

The hooker-like aspects of Laurie's costume is part of the point, though. The whole idea was that her mother Sally (the original Silk Spectre) used her crime-fighting career more as a springboard toward a modeling/acting career than as an actual mission to beat up bad guys, and though it's never explicitly stated in the comic book, Sally's attempt to get Laurie to follow in her footsteps continues this theme in a logical progression - hence, Laurie's wearing something that's intentionally fetishistic. Which ties into the theme of superhero costumes as being fetishistic in general.

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

If nothing else, her movie costume is a big improvement on the comic book version. Even for the 80s, that was one ugly-ass costume they came up with.

19. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    On some discussion boards, this question would lead this thread down a very different path... ;)

20. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why is it that every thread about the Watchmen movie on Trekbbs has to be about the Silk Spectre's costume. :rolleyes: