The Improving the JJprise thread

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Lord Garth FOI, Dec 10, 2011.

1. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

A 2 second cameo in a bad comedy isn't quite what I had in mind.

2. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

I got to see her on the big screen a few years ago when they released the Remastered Menagerie in the theater for a week. Was glorious.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Certainly the CG improved it some.

4. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

I'll bet it was. I'm jealous.

Out of curiosity... ...what do you make of the complaints that the old E simply wouldn't look good on a big screen?

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i think its baseless fact unless they tried it with a test audience and it failed.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

You can tell by looking at it - it's too simplistic a design. They didn't revise it for Phase II/TMP because of in-story requirements; the refit storyline was created to permit a redesign.

7. Birdog

Birdog Commander Red Shirt

You can add a lot of visual interest to it without making huge changes like the TMP redesign or the JJ-Trek ship. Deg and Vektor? have both done it very well on this board.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

I like both of their variations. Neither is adequate for a big screen movie. You can add all the detail you want to the thing and the silhouette, the balance of the parts and the overall plainness of it remain.

People who like the TOS ship are sentimentally attached to it. People who are not sentimentally attached to Star Trek are the people that Paramount needs to intrigue.

9. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Yep.

10. Birdog

Birdog Commander Red Shirt

Really?

Some of the most iconic scifi ships from the movies are plain shapes from afar. The ISD from Star Wars. The Discovery from 2001. The Death Star. How much more plain can you get than a giant ball?

11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The surface of each of these ships (ISD, Discovery, Death Star) is anything but smooth. Making the surface of the TOS Enterprise as jagged as these three ships implies a modification to the design of at least some sort. If you're not talking about making the surface of the TOS Enterprise rough, then a comparison to these three ships is pointless.

If the surface of the TOS Enterprise is rough, then to a purist that's not a "faithful" version of the ship.

12. LordSarvain

LordSarvain Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What?! You insult my mother?! :wtf:

13. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a military vessel, plain is part of the motif.

14. Captain Robert April

As for improvements...

[​IMG]

15. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

That's kind of what deg did. It looks awesome. He didn't do a lot - just enough to give a more finished/mechanical look.

Even simpler than the shape of the Enterprise are the arguments against putting that shape on the big screen.

Well, it's a simple shape.

Well, those Star Wars were simple shapes with complicated surfaces, you know.

When they were designing the Big E for TMP, there were some execs who were convinced that the only way you could sell the scale of the Enterprise was to add a million greebles to the surface of the ship - after all that's what Star Wars did so successfully. Instead, what we got was one the most beautiful spaceships ever put on the big screen.

More importantly, people who have seen TOS-R on the big screen have reported that the original Enterprise looks great on the big screen. One such person has posted in this thread.

Really? The surface of the refit is smooth and it is just as beloved, if not more so, than the TV version.

16. pengbuzz

pengbuzz Guest

Reminds me of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8B1GNCSfX0

Yeah, it's probably been posted here already, but I don't care!! It's STILL funny!!! :guffaw: :guffaw:

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nothing in my post implies that I believe the surface of a movie ship must be rough. I simply observed that a purist's TOS Enterprise has a smooth surface and the ISD et al. have rough surfaces. Therefore, comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges. Period.

18. Captain Robert April

I'm rather fond of this one...

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbMVLtFGiy4[/yt]

19. Ranger3

Ranger3 Lieutenant

While the version in Abrams' prequel/reboot was good, I have to say that both Lord Garth's and Legion's versions were better.

Either one of the two would have been great in the 2009 film.

20. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Smooth? yes. But there is a shit ton more detail than the TOS Enterprise.