Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 24 2014, 06:01 PM   #61
bbailey861
Admiral

Re: To Be Takei

Avro Arrow wrote: View Post
bbailey861 wrote: View Post
Has anyone in Canada seen this - and if so, where? Thanks.
I have not seen it, but it looks like the last Canadian showing on the schedule was ten days ago at the Sudbury film festival. However, it appears the DVD is scheduled to be released in just under two weeks, so you should be able to see it that way, if you're interested.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2014, 06:10 PM   #62
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
My problem with these things boils down to a simple question: "What is there left to say?"

I'm not denigrating Takei or saying that his life story isn't interesting or that he doesn't have the right to talk about it (or anything else from his life/career for that matter). But those of us in the fandom have heard these stories thousands of times already, and people outside fandom probably aren't going to care either way. So it ultimately becomes an exercise in pointlessness.

Same applies to Shatner, Nimoy, Nichols, any of them. Unless there's some big 'smoking gun' revelation we haven't heard yet, then there's only so many times we can hear the same old stories before our eyes glaze over. There's a point where we just lose interest.
The thing is, what we in Trek fandom have heard a million times, non-Trekkies haven't. The majority of people in the audience when I went to go see it were politically active in Asian American and/or LGBTQ issues, and that's why so little of the doc was actually focused on Takei's Trek history -- much of the audience had a cursory knowledge of Trek, but nothing nearly as extensive as your average TrekBBS member. His struggles in being an Asian American actor when Asians were being typecast as servants or villains, his visiblity as a gay activist, and his newfound fame are typically overshadowed at Trek conventions with anecdotes and stories and trivia, but are discussed in depth in the lecture circuit; even more, those three components are usually divided up depending on the venue -- he's less likely to talk about his Asian heritage in an LGBTQ talk, and vice versa, but there's also some sort of intersectionality there by virtue of his existence. For one thing, very few people on this board were aware that his musical about Japanese internment is going to Broadway, which the last 1/4th of the doc covers -- but go to a popular Asian American blog news site and there'll be more frequent updates about its status.

If there's one thing I've learned from lectures, it's not to assume that many things are "common" knowledge. I'm always surprised about that whenever I meet someone who's never heard of Star Trek. And honestly, it can apply to any cast member, not just Takei. Nimoy can talk about facets of his life and career that we normally don't think about; Shatner can indulge us with stories about his world travels or his career resurgence during Boston Legal. And that is okay -- those are things not normally discussed at conventions, at least not with the majority of time during their appearances, especially when the speaker is in their 70s and 80s and with much more worldly, nuanced, personal knowledge than we can expect.
Old September 25 2014, 03:05 AM   #63
eyeresist
Commander

I don't have more than bullet-point knowledge of Takei: Asian, gay, supposedly had a problem with Shatner, says "Oh my" a lot. So I'd be interested to get the details of his life and Trek career in one handy package. Also, the tone of the documentary seems pleasingly charming and funny, so should be enjoyable to watch.
Dean: It's like I don't even know you guys anymore. Star Trek Four! Save the whales!
eyeresist is offline   Reply With Quote