Castle: Season 3 (Nathan Fillion, Stana Katic) - Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Aragorn, Sep 20, 2010.

1. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Castle: Season 3 (Nathan Fillion, Stana Katic) - Discussion & Spoi

When we were watching at the time I turned and said Why didn't dad come up with this stuff when she was getting blown up in her apartment?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Almost dying? Discovering her admired captain was part of the conspiracy and then seeing him die? That's well beyond the usual stuff she endures, and it would be deeply reckless for her not to go to a therapist after such a traumatic ordeal. Indeed, I imagine it's probably standard procedure for officers who've been shot and nearly died to be required to talk to someone in the wake of it, just as (if I understand correctly) they're required to talk to a therapist after shooting someone.

And who says she's never been in therapy before in the wake of her mother's death? We've only known her for three years.

Yeah, I was suspicious of the dad the moment he showed up and tried to get Castle to convince her to drop the case.

3. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

I thought he was dead, which was part of why she wore his watch, but must have crossed my wires somewhere...

4. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He became an alcoholic, and managed to climb out of the bottle. The watch is a symbol of the life saved. She wears her mother's ring as a symbol of the life lost.

5. kitkat

kitkat Admiral Admiral

Let me add my "ditto" to this sentiment. I was like, really? REALLY?????

6. LaxScrutiny

I guess you missed the episodes where she gets blown up in her apartment, almost freezes to death in Rick's arms, her ex partner betrays her trust and then later on gets killed.

7. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I think Kate was shot by whoever hired Lockwood.

8. Christopher

You know, it's really childish to accuse someone of being ignorant just because they disagree with your interpretation. I'm perfectly well aware of those episodes, which is why I don't think they're the same thing as what happened here. In her blown-up apartment, she had time to duck into the full bathtub and wasn't substantially injured. In the freezer, again, that was a fairly brief brush with death, not as severe as actually being shot, bleeding out, and (presumably) having to spend a significant amount of time in the hospital to recover. Between that and all the other ordeals she went through in this episode, she's very likely to come out of this with PTSD.

I did some research, and apparently post-traumatic counseling is sometimes mandatory in the NYPD but generally voluntary, and I wasn't able to find what the specific breakdown was. Apparently I was right that most police departments require counseling sessions after a "critical incident," usually defined as a police shooting, but it doesn't say anything about being shot. And apparently there's a lot of resistance to counseling within police culture due to fears of stigma, which is just stupid. We've really got to outgrow these absurd mental-health stigmas and recognize that the brain is no different from the rest of the body -- sometimes it gets sick or injured and needs treatment to get better, and counseling is just part of how a responsible person takes care of one's health.

So if Beckett does refuse therapy after this, it will be consistent with the culture she's part of, but it will still be a very foolish choice. I hope she has the intelligence and maturity to seek therapy.

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

You make her sound real ;), I guess you hope the writers have the intelligence and maturity. It could make some decent scenes I just think they will use Castle in a way as her shrink to help her though and bring them two together as a couple.

10. Saxman1

Saxman1 Commodore Commodore

Great ep! Let's just hope we're past the silly 1980's stuff like in "Remington Steele" where they dragged out the Laura/Remington relationship (the "will they or won't they get together") so long that people lose interest. I say this as a fan of that show. By the time they actually did get together, it was the series finale and no one much cared at that point. Indeed, by the 4th season, the ratings were falling big time as the writers concocted ever-more ridiculous means to keep the two main characters apart.

When they probably hook up in the end, it was done so poorly, it left a bad taste in one's mouth and even then, they never even show them kiss, it ends with a lamp being turned off in a window. Stupid.

I mention "Remington" because there are similarities: the woman is the "real" cop, the man is a decent investigator, but not a legitimate one, the will they/won't they, etc. Again, let's hope we've moved beyond the silly 1980s soap opera conventions, as one poster wrote above.

11. LaxScrutiny

I addressed your point. You responded by calling me childish. That's an inappropriate response, I ask you to refrain from personal insults to me on this board. You are welcome to disagree but keep my personality out it.

12. Christopher

No, you didn't "address my point." You made an ad hominem comment making assumptions about me as a person, about whether I had seen the episodes in question. You assumed that my disagreement with you was based on ignorance rather than an informed difference of opinion, and that is very condescending. It is wrong to equate a comment about the person with a comment about his point. You're the one who made it personal.

13. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Moonlighting also crashed and burned when they dragged out the "will they/won't they" schtick (I think it was the first show to do that, too - wasn't it before Remington Steele?). When they had Maddy marry someone she just met on a train, it got beyond ridiculous. I got a little of that same vibe when Beckett started dating that guy this year.

14. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ I think either Moonlighting or Cheers started it all. In this case, the 'will they/won't they" takes a back seat to just how fun this show is (at least for me). I rooted for Sam/Diane, and David/Maddie, and Jim/Pam, but I don't care that much about Castle/Beckett. I'd be ok if Beckett just up and said "no, we're not doing this" and then they went on from there.

15. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Fat chance.. there were several scenes in season 3 heavily implying she's also fallen for Castle but as he said when he visited her appartment she's been emotionally closed off since her mother's murder and won't allow anyone to reach her.

However Castle seems to be the first person to really achieve that as evident be her slight smile when he finally said it and she passed out (of course she passed out.. they can't kill off a main character when the show got renewed).

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I believe Remington Steele predated Moonlighting.

Which leads me to wonder: given that everything else is being rebooted these days, why is there no Remington Steele movie in the works?

17. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

^ she toyed with going back out to be with him when they were in LA, too, but of course, he had just closed his door, so she went back inside instead...

18. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

That scene gave me a HUGE Moonlighting vibe, since David and Maddie's offices were on opposite sides of the reception area, and they were always doing that.