What continuity errors are there on Voyager?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Luther Sloan, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

This isn't Mad Max, we already know from all the other Trek shows just how loaded with advanced sentient life the Trekverse is. There were inhabited worlds and friendly advanced civilizations they ran by all the time.

Even in Farscape they mentioned that there were lots of Commerce planets they went to (off-screen), and they were wanted criminals being hunted by the major powers of the area! No reason why Voyager would have such a harder time of it especially when the tough guys on the block WEREN'T chasing them as criminals.

Engineering replicators probably can, since in Trek Starships are made that way (big replicators make most of the parts, then they get assembled together). The engineering area and shuttle bays likely have more powerful replicators more that sort of repair work.

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^Then you at the very least have to show/mention it.

3. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Someone should rename this thread to "fanwank away all of Voyager's problems".
    I'm happy to just accept Voyager had a lot of problems while enjoying the show as well, I wish others could.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

We saw them use that massive single transporter pad in Counterpoiunt down in engineering, when the telepathic crew was hiding from the telepath hunters.

How do you supect they were able to build two DElta Fliers if they couldn't replicate large moulded and cut sheets of duranium "somehow"?

After we saw that they could manifest the Doctor out side of the ship with a parabolic dish (Man overboard) it really opened the door on what they can do with broadcasted matter.

5. WarpCore

WarpCore Lieutenant Red Shirt

TNG says a ship can replace its antimatter.

Liaisons
    WORF: The Engineering sections encompass twelve decks of the secondary hull. Deck forty two contains the antimatter storage facility.
    BYLETH: What is the mass flow rate of the antimatter replenishment stream to the containment pods?
    WORF: Excuse me?
    BYLETH: The antimatter replenishment rate. What is it?
    WORF: I am not certain of the exact rate.
    BYLETH: Perhaps there is someone here who does know the answer. You. Are you smarter than this one?
    LAFORGE: Why do you ask?
    BYLETH: Never mind.
    BYLETH: I wish to see the Bussard collectors. Take me to them.
    WORF: This way.

But TNG also had its issues with lines about antimatter.

Coming Of Age
    COMPUTER: Last question on the hyperspace physics test. If the matter and antimatter tanks on a Galaxy class starship are nine tenths depleted, calculate the intermix ratio necessary to reach a starbase a hundred light years away at warp factor eight. Begin.
    (Wesley is straight in with 1:1. Oliana runs out of time)
    COMPUTER: Time elapsed. You now have one hour free before the next test.
    MORDOCK: I must admit, Wesley, you have a very fast mind.
    WESLEY: Once as I realised it was a trick question, there was only one answer.
    MORDOCK: Yes, there is only one ratio with matter antimatter. One to one.

Skin of Evil
    LYNCH: Forget the final check. Initiate start-up sequence.
    COMPUTER: Beginning check list.
    LYNCH: Override. We are going directly to start-up.
    COMPUTER: That procedure is not recommended.
    LYNCH: Understood. Now. Prime matter-antimatter injectors. Set ratio at twenty-five to one.

Booby Trap
    RIKER [OC] We need warp power now!
    LAFORGE: Matter-anti matter mixture ratio settings at optimum balance Reaction sequence corresponding to specified norms. Magnetic plasma transfer to warp field generators per programmed specs. Commander, we should be going like a bat out of hell.

Galaxy's Child
    LEAH: The matter-antimatter ratio has been changed. The mixture isn't as rich as regulations dictate.
    LAFORGE: Experience has shown me that too high a ratio diminishes efficiency. I worked with the mixture until I got the right balance.

Chain of Command, Part 2
    JELLICO: All right. Worf, prepare a series of five hundred antimatter mines with magnetic targeting capabilities.
    WORF: Aye, sir.

If they'd brought Worf to the DQ, they wouldn't have had much problem replacing a thousand torpedoes per day. Tuvok should be roughly as competent. He just didn't want to be disrespectful to the captain and say "I'll show you 'we have no way to replace them.'" out loud. TNG also shows Welsey playing with antimatter efficiency and replacement for school projects. After that, it's safe to assume it's readily abundant for all sorts of ideas once you locate a supply of it to farm or mine.

It's also safe to assume
    When situation is normal: You can create a matter-antimatter warhead.
    When your ship is being digested by a huge organism and your energy reserves are depleted: You cannot create a matter-antimatter warhead.

6. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Which brings up a question of another kind:

Can Voyager seperate into two sections like ENT-D?

7. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah... that explains why the Lone Ranger called him that. :lol:

8. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

I think all Starfleet ships can seperate in an emergency, its the Ent-D's ability to reconnect afterwards that was seen as so revolutionary :p

9. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Aren't the replicator tied into the transporters?
    Can't they just land the ship and beam the hull plating from the replicator to the crew waiting outside the ship to put it into place?
    Isn't that what they were doing in "Nightingale" when they showed them re-placing the warp coils?

10. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

No
    No, Voyager's big feature is planetary landing.

Remember in "Dragon's Teeth" they landed the ship to avoid enemies because their ships aren't designed to enter the environment.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Voyager doesn't have to separate.

On the Galaxy Class, the separation seemed about two things, running away from a warp core breach or sending the civilians off to safety.

Voyager has no civilians, and it can eject it's warp core.

12. The_Baron

The_Baron Captain Captain

Just interested, never stumbled across the Blue Dwarf PBEM by any chance?

13. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, the ratio mentioned in the majority of your quotes is the ratio at which matter and antimatterenter the reaction chamber to be converted into plasma.

Not the ratio at which any ship can convert matter into antimatter.

14. Satyrquaze

No, they ran by neutral advanced civilizations all the time.

Well, theres the matter that in Farscape most of the people involved knew where to find such Commerce planets. That isn't the case in Voyager. Also the impression I got was that by and large, most Delta quadrant races were behind Starfleet in the technology level scale. Many didn't even have warp drive. And furthermore, we're not talking about trading for blankets here. We're talking anti-matter. It would probably be treated as a strickly controled substance in the best of situations- particularly in the amounts they're talking about.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  15. WarpCore

WarpCore Lieutenant Red Shirt

Right. I was pointing out a minor discontinuity in TNG that as far as I know no one throws up much of a fuss over. Simple first season one-liner in both cases. I guess more people notice or care because it was a Captain talking.

16. Satyrquaze

Fair enough, but its worth pointing out that I'm not entirely sure the writers had a firm grasp on the pseudo-science behind the warp engine until season 3 of TNG.

Hell, the writers hadn't even decided if the Klingon Empire was part of the Federation or not until season 2.

For Voyager there is no such excuse.

17. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

They aren't trading at civilization-scale units, its trade for units that would power a small scout ship. Bit of difference in asking a Commerce planet for huge amounts usually traded in Trade Networks and smaller amounts meant to power one ship for a while.

And they did have someone who knew where to go: Neelix.

18. Satyrquaze

It's sloppy writing.

They should have mentioned it in an episode instead of leaving fans to fanwank it.

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

A fair few of the critisms levelled at VOY could have been prevented by simply mentioning it an episode. The reason why some of the points aren't levelled at other shows is that the audiance is fully aware that they can just put in at a starbase and be replensihed with things like Torpedeos, put in at a dock to get battle damage repaired. Or have parts shipped to them by another Federation ship.

20. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Apparently Anwar enjoys that Voyager left giant gaping holes in its logic, it allows him to fanwank constantly which he seems to enjoy.