Better if they had allowed main cast to die?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Crazyewok, Jun 29, 2013.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^exploding tumours is not what I would call a decent story line. If I had to write it with that proviso I might have had the tumour exploding whilst Beckett was trying to remove it. Peter Grodin had a better death sequence than Beckett.

2. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Riley's death brought me close to tears. Out of all of the secondary characters, he was my favorite.

I would have preferred that they hadn't brought Beckett back. It made his death feel less heroic.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I would have preferred that they didn't kill Beckett in the first place, but you don't always get what you want.

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

And they're not cheese-eating surrender monkeys.

5. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

Eh?

Hint: you might want to look at my sig first...

6. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

The FAA doesn't identify and track every single airplane, though, except in certain places (the ADIZ around national borders, special flight rules areas, and within a few miles of major aiports).

Other than that, the only planes "identified and tracked" at all times (well, when in radar coverage---which isn't all that extensive) are those on instrument flight plans or those who request the tracking. That includes the majority of commercial flights, but commercial flights are only a tiny fraction of total air traffic. Private flights sometimes use ATC services, but the fraction is heavily weather-dependent.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You mean they don't have the tech to track everything everywhere in real time?

Dang.

Everyone today still has to log a flight plan, and those flightplans can be rejected beforehand and objected to afterhand.

They are tracking everyone who isn't lying a couple weeks (months?) after they landed, depending on the backlog.

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Voyager had become a travesty by the time they got assimilated by the Borg and just shrugged it off. It's like the intentionally wanted to insult TNG's approach to the Borg.
    Not one episode has a lasting repercussion for the characters. Janeway kills Tuvix, and despite his claims that she will have to live with it, the incident is never heard of again. Random crew members who have always been supposed to be great friends with the main characters appear out of nowhere and then disappear again completely. Then they pull shit like that Borg assimilation mentioned above. Picard got ass raped by the Borg physically and mentally and couldn't handle it for years, and Janeway & Co just shrug it off and make jokes about it, and then we never hear of it ever again. Like it was nothing to get your whole body augmented with mechanical implants and then again removed.

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Picard was assimilated by the Borg, and no one complained that Crusher de-assimilated him between scenes. Yes, he had mental trauma but that was from the massacre he was forced to lead.

Data was assimilated mentally by the Borg, and he never was mentally damaged from it.

Neither was Kirk killing Gary Mitchell, one of his oldest and dearest friends.

Like in TOS and TNG?

Picard wasn't traumatized from having the Borg parts added to him, he was traumatized from how he nearly destroyed Earth because of them. Janeway and co were not mentally assimilated, nor were they forced to kill anyone.

And the Borg vaccine they used (which was only temporary in the first place!) also made sense, they developed it from studies done on Picard, Hugh and any Borg remains that didn't self-destruct.

10. Enow

Enow Lieutenant Red Shirt

It would have been better if they just had a character get seperated from the crew or presumed dead, thus adding a sideline drama of getting back to Voyager.

Imagine when Captian Janeway & Chakotay being quarantined on that planet and no cure had come until Voyager was months away at maximum warp.

Imagine the reunion if they had ever caught up with Voyager when she needed her Captain & Commander most? They would think they were seeing their ghosts.

Personally, I would not have minded seeing a Janeway/Chakotay pairing with a baby coming out of that. Even moreso when somehow or other, that baby eventually became a rebellious teenager that had travelled back in time to save her mother & her father.

It would even be more interesting after saving her parents if that teenage girl forbid the EMH to reveal that she is Janeway's & Chakotay's daughter, the reason being hoping that she will have more freedom on the ship and go on away missions instead of "confined" to safety.

Course, later on, when she is found out, she would have an argument as to proving that Janeway & Chakotay were being "unfair" & overprotective of her.

But... the series is over. Oh well.

11. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well that would require Voyager to take a risk in their writing, and they seemed quite content with the status quo and the reset button.

12. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Pfft. There are dozens of stories like this on fanfiction.net.

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

We had babies. Three of them. If we're gonna redo they deserve voices and stories.

14. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The problem was the main cast was already too big and unwieldy as is. If they'd trimmed the main cast down to 5 characters or so and made the rest the secondaries, then there'd be better development for more recurring characters among those Secondaries.

Of course, having a major plot beyond "Going Home" would've given the writers more room to DO something with the characters to begin with.

15. teacake

I want these five: Captain Janeway, 7, EMH, Tal Celes and Admiral Janeway.

16. R. Star

What's so special about Celes? I'll agree that Voyager should've used the secondary characters more often... but beyond that Celes never did much to stand out beyond being the ship's screw up.

17. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The Central Cast should've been Janeway, Chakotay, Paris, the EMH and Tuvok.

Torres, Kim, Kes and Neelix would the secondaries and then attach some other Secondaries from the lower decks folk to add to it.

No one minded that TOS only had three characters, after all.

18. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Celes along with Ayala have a considerable number of fans in the Voyager shipper fandoms, along with the Delaney twins, Susan Nicoletti, Sam Wildman, Joe Carey, and Vorik. Celes is paired most often with Harry Kim, and Ayala is paired with several different females including Janeway. In the Janeway shipper fandom his first name is Michael, while in the M/M slash fandom his first name is Gregory.

This is why I keep telling everyone to be careful which characters you step on because there are fans of those characters out there.

I personally have kind of a soft spot for Mort Harren, I would love to read a story pairing him with Seven of Nine.

19. teacake

Tal Celes is beautiful, relatable, interesting and NOT A HUMAN. All huge pluses.

20. R. Star

Learned a bit there! Voyager definitely missed some oppurtunities by not giving the secondary characters some roles. The good use of guest stars is part of why I liked DS9 so much.

Celes seemed nice, but yeah appearing in two episodes really didn't really intrigue me and she openly admitted yeah I shouldn't be here.

Ayala... did he ever even have a line? He was just the "Morn" of the Voyager bridge.

I think I would've liked it if they kept the Delaney twins a running gag about them doing outrageous things, even though we never see them instead of their holo date with Kim and Paris.

I honestly don't remember Susan Nicoletti. What episode was she in?

Sam Wildman... yeah it almost seemed to me she was just a plot device there to produce Naomi then fades to the background once she was old enough to contribute to the show.

Carey I liked, he was a strong extra in the first two seasons... then like disappears for the most part until season 7... then they kill him right before they get home. Poor guy.

Vorik... honestly, I'd have preferred most of his roles(minus Blood Fever) had gone to Carey. Beyond that one terrible episode, he was your standard background character but nice bit of continuity to be had if nothing remarkable.

Haren I definitely would've liked to see more of. Sure the guy was something of a jerk, but yeah... Janeway was being condescending to him, the hypochondriac blueshirt kept nearly getting him killed and he kept having to fix Celes's mistakes all in the guise of "charity." Poor guy. I might lock myself away too.

Chell was another character I liked. But yeah, that would require the Maquis being remembered beyond Chakotay/Torres. ;)