Orci Meets with CBS About New Series

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by dansigal, Oct 13, 2013.

1. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

2. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Sounds like a meeting putting out preliminary feelers. I guess the interesting part of the article to me was the need for us to root for Agents of SHIELD to be successful. I haven't seen the show but I wonder just how true that comment was. Is that show really going to be that much of a barometer? To me it's apples and oranges but I'm no network executive.

3. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

It's not an exact comparison, because of the nature of the CBS/Paramount paradigm, but I think it's a good point. S.H.I.E.L.D. will give a general idea of how successful a prime time tie in show to a major blockbuster can be on basically name recognition alone.

4. Use of Time

That's fair. I guess we can only hope that Agents gets decent ratings.

5. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

6. Use of Time

7. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Of course CBS is agents of shield, they're the most conservative network out there, they want to see if by budget sci fi tied to a movie franchise can work on tv and then they'll copy it. I always assumed that the love action star wars show would convince CBS to return star trek to TV, but with that show not happening right now, it makes sense that they'd watch the next best thing which in this case is shield.

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll believe it when I see it. Ideas get tossed around all the time, but becoming reality is a completely separate thing.

9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Is this a new HBO show I haven't heard about? ;)

I'd be all for a new Trek Series. Agents of Shield (and Arrow) seem quite popular, so, the ratings should hold

10. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

The last thing I want is a new Trek series tied to the movie series. No "spinoffs," please. I'd like a Trek series to stand on its own, a totally unapologetic TV reboot, with no time travel and/or alternate universes to justify it. Just Kirk and Spock on the Enterprise for weekly adventures.

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

New actors again?

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I have no issue recasting the roles for a TV series.

13. Hober Mallow

Nor do I. But I think I'd prefer animation over yet another live action series.

14. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

I would not settle for an animated series. Why should I? CBS will not risk an animated series about Star Trek with adult focus so automatically means that it will be an animated series for kids and I will be extremely annoyed by a huge number of creative choices that will be kids centric … I’m sorry but an animated series cannot live without focusing on kids, and I am a grown up and I don’t care to see kids show …

15. BillJ

Spongebob Squarepants is a "kids" show but the storytelling is actually more mature than most live-action TV shows.

16. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Just cause it's animated doesn't mean it has to automatically aim for the kiddie market or be dumbed down.

17. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

Be my guest and watch Spongebob. I never ever cared for that show and will ever ... But I'm not judging you for that honestly, but the fact is that many grown ups will not watch an animated show and it will not have the success for a long life ...

Tell me one movie/franchise tie in cartoon that it isn't or it wasn't dumbed down. Please. Just one. Tell me a sci-fi cartoon with starships or so on on CBS or any of it's affiliates that it isn't targeted at kids. I can't. It might be because I'm not watching enough cartoons maybe. I just don't want that the next Star Trek TV show to be a cartoon, I'm 100% sure it will be for kids and dumbed down. If it is indeed a cartoon I hope I'm not right but this is how I feel. And the worst of it? It will not be carried as cartoon in prime time anywhere in the world so international licenses are off for prime time licenses. But honestly I really don't think it will be a prime time show in USA neither ... And anyhow just look what other studios are doing with their cartoon tie in lines for other movies. Just canceling mid stories, relaunching in different formats etc etc. Cartoons (with very few exceptions and not by big networks) are treated like second tier programming without any real respect for the viewers and without any serious audience building and I'm sorry to say I don't see this changing because the Star Trek name. And I don't want the 50th anniversary of Star Trek to be celebrated with some cartoon. Star Trek is much much much more valuable than that.

18. BillJ

The Clone Wars ran for five seasons and it wasn't eight-year olds who bought up all the DVD's and Blu-ray's.

Thing is, if you don't figure out a way to draw those kids in, Trek will wither and die as those of us who are fans grow old and pass away. Making a super-serious series solely targeted at adults is the surest way of killing Trek for good.

19. Hober Mallow

It's the stories that count, not the medium. That said, a super dumbed down kiddie show would still be a step up from VOY and ENT.

20. Use of Time

I would prefer live action. I like to see actors...act. CBS is not going to put out an animated show in primetime on their flagship station.