Voyager again, for the first time

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by NightJim, Feb 26, 2013.

1. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Manoeuvres

Damn, I've got them in the wrong order. But anyway, the return of Seska. Not bad. But is there some requirement for facing the Kazon that requires Chakotay to go off in a shuttle and get captured. First the Nog episode, now again here. I think he secretly wants to defect.

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Supposedly it's personal between Chakotay and Seska, as she was a member of his Maquis cell and they were lovers, but he never realized she was a spy. At least that's the story he keeps telling.

3. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Oh sure, he keeps saying that, but I find it suspicious he keeps taking shuttles to Kazon ships.

And he blatantly ignoring Torres who's right in front of him... I actually don't remember this storyline at all.

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, when her evil scheme involves impregnating herself with his DNA, it doesn't get more personal than that. :p

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

What I can't get over is how easy this supposedly is. Extract a bit of DNA, does it have to be from any specific part? Blood? Is hair fine? And then what, magicmix it and you have something to combine with an egg and BOOM conception? Did Seska do this on the Kazon ship?! I can see her doing it on on Voyager though hard to get anything past the EMH with him there all the time but if she managed it on the Kazon ship she must have either replicated the tech needed while on VOY for the DNA jigging or it must be so simple even the Kazon medical facilities could manage it.

I'm picturing her huddled over a DNA crack pipe in some Jefferies tube, brewing up a baby.

6. R. Star

Well a lot of Trek... Voyager especially... interchange the words magic and science regularly. :p

7. teacake

If it was that easy women would be impregnating themselves with famous brilliant amazing people with alarming regularity. Maybe that's why Picard is bald, make it a little harder to snag a strand of super baby.

8. R. Star

Well to be fair, Culluh was beating him to the point Chuckles was bleeding. Seska was stabbing him in the neck with needles longer than it and she could've been extracting as easily as injecting. So there was plenty of goods. Plus if that shuttle they captured had a restroom... boom. DNA.

9. teacake

I wonder if anyone broke into the Zephram Cochrane exhibit in San Francisco and took scrapings of any personal items they had of him. I bet they would have been in for a shock that the legendary Cochrane genes were given to drink.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The needle went into his sack and extracted semen, which she then flushed into her cooter.

It's not rocket science.

I have a lesbian 2nd cousin who got a daughter from a home job like this. Y'know except that the semen was donated rather than stolen, but the lad was gay as well, just a friend, and their genitals weren't even in the same room.

It's how/why they do it like this with valuable horses at the stud farm. Apparently the speed with which a horse can do it, there's an actual a decent chance of the penis snapping off if anything goes aerie or off kilter by a couple degrees.

11. teacake

She didn't say semen, she said DNA.

12. Melakon

But if she had, it could have gone like this: "Get the sample for me, would you, Maje?"

13. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

After which, my daughter the Biology major told me, "I don't think they would get a baby that way, but instead a Clone of Chakotay."

14. teacake

It's interesting how people don't feel the same level of responsibility towards a young clone of themselves as they do towards their own child that has been created without their knowledge. Trip and T'Pol vs Picard. What if Picard had found his clone in the mines when he was an 8 year old, he would have rescued him because he was human but what would happen next? Would he view him as flesh of his flesh that he had a responsibility towards or would he just hand him over to Federation foster care?

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

What do you think Semen is made from?

She could have collected snot and called it DNA.

Did we see where she rammed her syringe?

16. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Yeah, in his neck. It was a long needle, but I'm not sure it was that long.

17. teacake

Unless they haven't dropped yet in which case the needle could be shorter.

18. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Tattoo

Well, that was a bit rubbish. The entire Native American culture was because of intergalactic aliens that travelled to Earth then back? It just doesn't make sense. And the entire thing about hearing his Father is meant to be finding his faith again? Only he's been sticking to the faith with Spirit Guides etc. Unless they're trying to say he walked the walk but didn't talk the talk, but I still don't buy it.

It's not helped by poor makeup on the lead alien he meets on the planet, it fades toward his hairline and is patchy around his collar. However, the bit about he has the tattoo to honour his father who died before he could make peace with him was nice.

Also are we to believe that Chakotay's Father found a small group of alien/human hybrids on Earth, in a Central American rainforest? It doesn't even mesh with the rest of the story.

I read earlier today in another thread about Robert Beltran's problems with the series, and someone brought up that the storm wasn't needed. Except it really is. Unless you want to ignore the fact that Janeway has to react in some way to her missing First Officer. That's one of the few story beats in the A-Story I don't have an issue with.

However, I do really like Chakotay's continuing amusement of Neelix, smiling when it's other people getting trapped by him, and in other episodes scowling when it's him.

Thank the Sky Spirits the B-Story was a Doctor one.

19. Melakon

"Tattoo" was a big disappointment for me, as I thought Star Trek was above stooping to Erich von Daniken nonsense.

20. teacake

It was just more overt Daniken nonsense than usual but Star Trek has always had that stuff. See, the Preservers.