DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh undoubtedly. Jim Starlin hasn't written anything original since Infinity Gauntlet.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which was a rehash of when Thanos combined the soul gems into a big soul gem and then Adam Warlock died and Jesused a Victory out of sure defeat.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Is Chris Angel fond of bustiers?

[​IMG]

Most of Zatanna's costumes wouldn't be out of place on stage at a strip club. ;) The original would be a big hit.

Refresh my memory on her being a stripper.

4. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Her original costume was atleast something a stage magician would wear. Her new costume style was totally what you'd think of with a magician like Chriss angel, although they are obviously women's clothes.

As for the stripper, I forget the exact issue but in JLD there is a flashback with Constantine where he is in a club and he sees her arrive on stage. We didn't see a lot, but she was definately a dancer, she was wearing an ok amount of clothes (but not normal clothes, even for her in the New 52), but this was not an upstanding club, so its not like she was a classy dancer or anything. She was definately not doing magic, she was dancing. Unless this seedy club (which I'm 90% sure was magic, since I think she appeared magically and Constantine and her were with their magic mentor there) was just having women dance classily around in full clothes, then she was almost certainly a stripper (and it was implied just by what the location and her appearance looked like). The dialog might have also implied it, but I can't remember what exactly was said.

5. Hound of UIster

The fact that s_d or tumblr didn't pick up on it probably means it was just your imagination running wild.

6. Nerys Myk

Her original costume is a top hat and tails over a Playboy Bunny uniform. She's dressed more like the assistant than the magician. :lol:

7. Hound of UIster

Paul Dini's wife has the same costume and she is a practicing stage magician.

8. Guy Gardener

So Dini has a Batman costume in his closet?

That explains everything.

9. Nerys Myk

Yeah, but isn't an homage to Zatanna's as opposed to an original idea? Not saying it doesn't work as a distaff spin on the classic magician's garb, but it's also very "showgirl".

10. Guy Gardener

You remember what her father wore when he fought crime?

That made her choices as a sidekick in complimention to his garb thoroughly acceptable.

What was the rationale behind her conversion into the full on super hero suit in the 80s?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

So, no comments on Carrie showing up in the Batman titles? or was that so many pages back I missed it?

12. Guy Gardener

I think that Carrie Bradshaw is the sort of character who can thrive in the Batman Books.

I'm assuming this is Carrie in her Prime before season 7 and she'll be dating Bruce Wayne?

Although a mashup with Batman Year One and the Carrie Diaries would be interesting.

13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay, thoughts.

My first reaction was, "That's cool."

My second reaction, after I processed the first, was, "Why her? Has anyone really clamored for her return?"

My third reaction, once I was able to articulate the second, was, "Is Carrie Kelly really that interesting a character that people are going to care? And does it make sense to call this character 'Carrie Kelly' outside of her original context, because isn't she really going to be an entirely different character within the context of the 'New 52'?"

My fourth thought, then, was, "DC is bringing Carrie back while Stephanie and Cass are still in limbo. A character who hasn't been seen in print in a decade and wasn't significantly in print in twenty-five years gets prioritized above characters who have active fanbases."

This one's baffling to me, honestly.

14. Hound of UIster

At this point, I'm convinced DC is just messing with us with all the potential Robins.

It's really not. There is a current embargo on Steph and Cass because of the current Batgirl book. Didio doesn't want them outshining Barbara (which isn't very hard currently).

15. Nerys Myk

Leotards and ponytails rock?
    IIRC, her first "full on superhero suit" was based on what her mother wore. Her mother was Homo Magi, so I guess its an ethnic costume. Or are you thinking of the Perez costume?

16. Guy Gardener

The Perez.

I did some goggling after that post I made, and found that other midpoint missing link costume you're referring to and it's clear that "she" put as much thought into that suit as Spider-Man did with his first costume back when he was still wrestling.

You're all aware that the nerd girl Dunphy daughter from Modern Family played Carrie in the movies that came out in the last couple months? (And maybe I missed a page in this thread where this is all covered?)

Dark Knight Returns was cut in half and released as two direct to video movies which were loyal and explicit. My 10 year old Nephew said "This is the most brutal thing I have ever seen". I blame his parents for giving him such a sheltered life, but still that was almost three hours of animated pure Miller misogyny and sadism.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2313197/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

It's called synergy.

Movies sell the comics and comics sell the movies.

If Dark Knight returns sells well.

There's a sequel they can pull out that's still got a lot of Carrie in it.

Catgirl?

Sheesh.

She will always be Robin to me.

17. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Carrie Kelly is interesting...something that I personally didn't think about it happening. It will be fascinating to see what Tomasai does with her.

Scott Lobdell has been appointed to take over "Action Comics" as of July's #22. Tyler Kirkmam...I had a feeling that Lobdell would be given it due to his work on "Superman". That's too much Lobdell for me with one character.

18. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course. One of a magicians chief weapons is misdirection. With a costume like that fewer people are going to be watching her hands.

19. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just looked over the JL Dark Annual that told the back story of Constantine and Zee. Nothing at all that would hint that she was a stripper. Of her act, we see exactly one panel where she appears in a puff of smoke. John's narration descibes the act as being 40 minutes long, which, I'm pretty sure is about 35+ minutes too long to be a striptease.

20. Nerys Myk

Isn't that why magicians have sexy assistants in the first place?