Captain America: The Winter Soldier pre-release thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jul 15, 2012.

1. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Pamela Ewing wakes to find Nick in the shower.

:)

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Addressing these "spoilers"...

...I gleaned from earlier trailers that Fury will be severely injured in an attack, but I don't think for a moment that they plan to kill him off, and doubt they even intend to tease us into thinking he's dead in the film. "Last words" don't have to be last words before death. If anything, the trailers are trying to fool us into thinking he dies in the film.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The first ten minutes.

It really isn't that spoilery at all. Steve meets Sam Wilson right off the bat, and then Steve and Natasha go on the mission that's been featured on just about every trailer.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just picked up the Kindle version of the first CA:TWS trade. Looking forward to reading it before the movie.

5. Turtletrekker

^ I may be mistaken, but I believe that that trade is mostly just the adaptation of the first movie, a eight page comic that was released digitally, and some older material.

Anyway, that's what it seemed like when I thumbed through it at the comic book store.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

No this is the original Ed Brubaker trade. I already flipped through some of it, and it is definitely not either of the movies.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I hope you enjoy it, the Brubaker story is fantastic.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been wanting to check it out since the first movie first got me interested in Cap, but the MCU special was the motivation to finally get it. I also got Annihlation Book 1 in order to prep for Guardians of the Galaxy.

9. Turtletrekker

Oh-- I thought you meant the "Winter Soldier Prelude" trade. The Brubaker run is astounding. Enjoy.

Never mind. Carry on.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn. I was hoping to finish a novella I started a couple days ago and then dive into TWS, but I don't like the Kindle app for comics, so I'm "returning" the comics for a refund. Once I get my money back I'll get them off of Comixology.

The Kindle app won't switch between portrait and landscape modes on the comics, so the double page spreads were really really tiny and the text is unreadable.

11. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Starting to suspect that the VFX people redid the "Helicarrier launch" scenes in between trailers so that Helicarriers "42", "65" and "88" are now "IN-01" through "IN-03".

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the earlier trailer footage has the numbers, the newer shots have the IN series, annoying when some trailers have both. Oh well, we'll know very soon. :lol:

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Finally saw this last night and I guessed right! :p

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Fair enough :p

I underestimated how quickly they'd reveal that Pierce is a bad guy. They did it almost as quickly as Redford did.

15. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I gotta admit, when the Winter Soldier showed up in his kitchen I thought he was there to kill Pierce. In fact when Pierce offered him some Milk I thought he was doing it to stall for time. The movie definitely duped me in that regard.

16. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I'm willing to bet it duped everyone at first, definitely thought he was there to kill Pierce too, taking out the SHIELD higher-ups. It always reminded me a little of Tony's 'threatening' Loki scene in Avengers at first.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Nope, I'd gone into the film expecting Pierce to be the villain. There were certainly enough online rumors and speculations to that effect. Heck, I was expecting him to be the Red Skull in disguise.

18. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I was thinking he would turn out to be Helmut Zemo, the son of the first one. He's the right age to be him, once you take out the "slowed aging" stuff in the comics.