JD's Comic Book Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^No, the fans did.;)

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was about to ask if they ever gave a definite answer to whether the Fel dynasty got it's Jedi powers from Jaina, but judging from that comment I guess not.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Before Attack of the Clones came out, I remember seeing a time line that went 40 years forward from a New Hope and 20,000 years back on the inside cover of a few Dark Horse Star Wars comics.

But now all that has to coincide with another 12 years of novels and 5 years of a half assed tv series, as well as Revenge of the Sith and Attack of the Clones.

HA!

I just had an unsettling Star Wars thought.

You know how the Aliens in the real world ( Well, the Aliens from X-Files at the very least) have been controlling our social media since 1947 to make the global stage accepting to the the concept of alien life, so that there is no mass hysteria and the Christians don't all kill themselves?

That training globe Luke fights with the blinder head gear on?

Not only did that look exactly like a tiny Death Star, but the Emperor had probably been giving them away for free like beanie babies for the last two decades, to ease the public consciousness into subliminally pre-accepting his Super weapon as common place ordinary, nothing to write home about, when he did finally go public with it.

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Like they kept TCW coordinated with the Clone War related novels and comics?

5. Turtletrekker

That's different. That's actual canon superceding tie-in and supplemental works, which is always a risk when dealing in someone else's universe.

I know that books and such have a place in the double-talk tier-canon system that Lucasfilm uses, but I've always said that the tier-canon approach was just another way of saying "not canon".

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

We never got a definitive answer regarding Marasiah's heritage. However on the question of Ania...she still could be an offshoot of the family. We don't know who Ania's parents are at the moment. I suspect they could keep this vague throughout the series or answer it at some later point.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

<<You know how the Aliens in the real world ( Well, the Aliens from X-Files at the very least) have been controlling our social media since 1947 to make the global stage accepting to the the concept of alien life, so that there is no mass hysteria and the Christians don't all kill themselves?

That training globe Luke fights with the blinder head gear on?

Not only did that look exactly like a tiny Death Star, but the Emperor had probably been giving them away for free like beanie babies for the last two decades, to ease the public consciousness into subliminally pre-accepting his Super weapon as common place ordinary, nothing to write home about, when he did finally go public with it. >>

That's brilliant!

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Based on the stuff I've read on Wookiepedia, my current theory is that the Fels do come from Jaina and Jagged, and Ania's side of the family comes from Allana (she could have decided to keep the Solo name if she got married).

9. Admiral_Young

Yep. That's a pretty reasonable guess.

I don't know if anyone is currently reading it...but I would highly recommend Jeff Lemaire's "Trillium". He writes and draws it...and we're three issues in (it's an eight part mini-series) and has been terrific. This will probably be on my top ten favourite comics list at the end of the year.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just read through the descriptions and that does sound pretty cool.

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I decided to try out the second min-series of The Occultist that came out this week from Dark Horse. The first one came out last year and I thought about it then. Now he's going to be loosely incorporated into the Project Black Sky "crossover" theme that allegedly will tie characters together. I'm already reading X, Brain Boy, Captain Midnight and will Ghost when it relaunches next month. I liked the one issue enough, despite hints at things that happened in the prior issues, that I'll read this whole mini.

So with VALIANT and now DH's Project Black Sky I'll be giving myself alternatives to the event heavy big 2 that often gets bogged down and pointless.

12. Admiral_Young

I just finished reading the first issue of IDW's "Samurai Jack" and if you were a fan of the series...I would highly recommend this book. They even have the opening narration from AKU as the teaser page! The art also reflects the animation in the series as well.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished up Wonder Woman Vol. 2: Guts earlier today. Here's my Shelfari review:
    My rating: 5/5

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I picked up the new mini-series installment of Dark Horses The Occultist cause the character is being woven into their shared superhero universe. Went back and got TPB of the first mini and I find the character to be fun.

It feels as if it has elements of "what if power of a Dr.Strange was handed down like being The Chosen in BuffyTVS". Mixed with the late teen/early 20 angst of Peter Parker.

I'm also still enjoying Captain Midnight and X from Dark Horse. Read the Skyman preview pages in X and will likely sample at least issue #1.

Looking forward to Dynamites relaunch of the Gold Key properties next year. First up Turok by Greg Pak. Also the reintroduction of Dr.Spektor should be ripe for latitude as he hasn't appeared in decades. Mark Waid likely won't disappoint there.

I'd bring my VALIANT thread up to talk about UNITY #1 which came out last week and was awesome. Does anyone reading comics here sample them beside me?

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I downloaded vol. 2 of Wolverine and the X-Men, and the third Fables collection to my Nook last week. I'll probably read one of them once I finish Catching Fire, but I haven't decided which one yet.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished reading Vol. 2 of W&tXM last night, and I loved it.
    I rated it 5/5. I didn't mention it in my review, but Broo and Quentin Quire are quickly becoming favorite characters. Where is it best to read Alpha & Omega?

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I bought and downloaded Spider-Man: Brand New Day vol 1 last night. I've been wanting to read a Spidey comic for quite a while now, so I'm looking forward to reading it. This is the start of Dan Slott's run, right?

18. Turtletrekker

Slott and two other writers do alternate arcs for a while before Slott takes over as the solo writer.

19. Admiral_Young

Dan Slott's solo run began with Amazing Spider-Man #648 back in November 2010. Prior to that Amazing had rotating writers as Turtletrekker mentions. Those writers were: Slott, Marc Guggenheim, Bob Gale, and Zeb Wells. Mark Waid I believe also wrote a couple of arcs during Brand New Day.

Brand New Day takes a while to get going. I didn't really start reading again until near the end. I had dropped the book after One More Day, but found myself starting to enjoy it again. I haven't stopped since. There are also Ultimate Big Time Spider-Man collections that collect the first two thirds of Slott's run out as well. I believe the second collects up to Spider-Island.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, thanks for the info. I'm sticking to the individual digital collections on either Nook or Comixology.