Writing Challenge, Spring 2014 - Strange New Worlds

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Bry_Sinclair, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

A win by default is still a win, lol.

Seriously though, there are many great writers here, it’d be a shame not to push them to try something new and different, so I hope we don’t lose this challenge.

Now then: Strange New Worlds.

This is going to be the TrekBBS version of Myriad Universe. You’re challenge is to throw Trek (and also other sci-fi if you so desire) into a blender and see what you can make out of it, explore what alternative universes are out there and how life has been changed and altered forever. This throws it wide open for you to be as inventive and outlandish as you want, so please, feel free to go crazy!

What if it’d been Captain Jane Kirk of the U.S.S. Enterprise? What if Commander Chakotay had been given command of Deep Space 9? What if the Genesis Project had been a success? What if it’d been Remus that had exploded in TUC? What would Picard be like as a Jedi Master with Wesley as his Padawan? What if the Hansen’s hadn’t been assimilated? What if Guinan was a Timelord?

Have fun with it and see where things go.

The Rules:
    - Word limit: 20,000--a little wiggle room is granted though, just don’t push it :)
    - Story must be original for this month’s challenge, nothing posted here before please
    - The Trek source can be either canon or your own creation
    - Only complete stories will be eligible; finishing the story before posting it is a good idea
    - Post a link to your entry in this thread when you’re done
    - Contest will run until midnight (GMT) May 31st 2014, with voting to run from June 1st to June 6th

Any questions or queries, send me a PM or post it here.

Good luck and have fun.

2. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Um, Guinan IS a timelord. Duh. ;)

3. Bry_Sinclair

I know, but what was she like when she had her own TARDIS? Who would be have as her companions in an adventure through time and space? What if she'd never left that life behind? Is she a friend or foe of the Doctor's?

As I said, this is a chance to just have fun with some weird and wonderful combinations.

4. USS Fardell

USS Fardell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have started an entry, where Delenn from Babylon 5 is one of Guinan's companions...

5. Bry_Sinclair

That sounds amazing!!!!

6. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

So, is anyone working on anything?

7. Phil

Phil Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Not presently working on anything at the moment, but would welcome suggestions for story ideas to help me get back into practice....I haven't written anything in awhile, and probably wasn't much good at it then, either :-/

Last one I wrote was in 2005, and had the original Kahless-Who-Should-Not-Be-Forgotten as a Gou'ald, and had returned to do battle with his Clone and take back the throne, if that qualifies?

8. Phil

Well, depending on whose fault that was (or rather, who failed to stop it), that would be ST XI :-/

9. Bry_Sinclair

It must be an original story. It if was posted here previously it cannot be entered.

Those snippets were just random ideas off the top of my head for just what "what if" scenarios, so in my thinking, in TUC, the loss of Praxis was the Klingons own fault, which caused massive environmental damage to Qo'noS which lead to the Empire asking the UFP for help. Replace 'Praxis' with 'Remus' and 'Qo'noS' with 'Romulus' and see what might've happened between the UFP and the other great Empire of Trek.

10. Phil

Nope....hasn't been posted here :-)

I have on File in Word though, and not on a Site somewhere....can I post the entire story here or E-Mail it to you (it's only 4 pages)?

11. Bry_Sinclair

Start a new thread and post it there, be sure to include a link in this thread as well.

12. Phil

13. Phil

Just a thought....

In another Group that I was in, they did a Round Robin of sorts, in that all those involved would write a part of a Story, and would do so in the order chosen (either by themselves or the moderator), and thus, when their time came around again, they would continue to each write a part of the Story as before, but carrying off as best they could from what had already been written by the others :-)

14. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I'm writing something but I'm not sure I'll get it finished in time. I'll try my best!

15. Bry_Sinclair

With no other entries, I can now announce that the winner of this seasons writing challenge is Phil.

Congratulations!

16. Phil

Cool :-)

What did I win?

Just out of interest....did anyone give any thought to that Round Robin idea I suggested, in that, all that take place write a part of a story in turn, basing their part of the story on what's been written by the others taking part?

17. Bry_Sinclair

You get to set the next writing challenge.

18. Phil

Fair enough :-)

I'm presuming then, as this was the Spring one (although Autumn here), that these run every three months, and thus the deadline for the Summer (Winter) Challenge would be the end of August?

19. Bry_Sinclair

There or there abouts.

20. Phil

Sounds good :-)

I'll start thinking about what the next one should be in the next couple of days then

When I post it though, how do I get it as a Sticky like this one was?