TV: A reboot or a new crew?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Ryan8bit, Jan 20, 2014.

?

Do you want to see a reboot of TOS for the next show?

1. Yes, I'd like to see Kirk & Spock (or other next gen crew) again on TV.

19.5%
  2. Maybe... it depends on _____.

5.7%
  3. No, I'd like to see a new crew.

74.7%
  1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I can definitely understand a sick wife making someone shorter than they normally would be. Hope she feels better. :techman:

Actually, I was just complimenting Voyager in the "Last Episode You Watch Thread"! But I don't think sticking up for one's favorite show when someone takes a shot at them is all that "outta the norm" here. :p

2. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was thinking about this from a comic book perspective. Batman has been rebooted, even just in film and television, more than a dozen times in my life and I don't have any problems with the various adaptations. It's not like I want to see a new story that has Batman retire/die and a new cast of characters come in to fight crime in Gotham.

Okay, I see your point. I understand why you wouldn't want something new. I suppose it comes down to whether you see Star Trek as the adventures of Captain Kirk and his crew or a sandbox universe to play in. Obviously I'm in the latter camp, but I can understand why someone would prefer the former.

3. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I get your POV, too. I think you're definitely in the majority among fans on this board, and Bill and I are in the minority. The Berman series aren't yet a distant memory, and I can understand why fans of those series in particular would like to continue the stories of the universe developed during those years. I guess to better answer your question about wanting something new -- yes, I do want original, imaginative stories featuring Star Trek characters boldly going where no human has gone before. But I don't just want Kirk and Spock, I'd like a series that brings back a little of the wonder I felt as a kid watching Trek back when it seemed like anything could happen, back when Spock seemed alien and mysterious and the universe wasn't over-familiar. That's why I think Trek needs to refreshed in a big way. Personally, I don't get that feeling from the Abrams films, but I'm hoping a future reboot will capture that.

4. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

New crew, late 24th or early 25th century (maybe 15-30 years post-VOY)?

5. CTGuyton

CTGuyton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'll start by saying I like the JJ movies. I've enjoyed all of the incarnations of Trek. Including Nemesis.

The problem with the primeverse is that it's become stale. They had to send Voyager to the delta quadrant just to try to introduce new things, but even then the format was the same. A reboot was necessary in order to bring that sense of wonder back to exploring the galaxy.

ST09 opened up everything we need to renew ST. It wasn't a full reboot, because they didn't want to just start over and ignore everything that's be put out there before, but they needed to be able to hit the refresh button. Nero's ship was centuries advanced and accelerated the push for bigger and better tech. Not just among the federation, but the Klingons battled him too. Altering the timeline with Kirk's father and destroying Vulcan added to the vast differences that will ultimately come because of Nero.

The key to remember about JJ's movies IMO is that it's giving writers freedom. It's giving the franchise new life and new possibilities. Going into the future beyond Voyager, we've got 50 years of history to remember, but following the JJ movies, we're able to explore the Universe again with fresh eyes and perspectives.

So my thought to those who aren't fans of JJ, just think of it as a bridge to get us on a track the Franchise needed to be taken down. The other option is that Star Trek died when Enterprise went off the air. (or with nemesis if you didn't like Ent.)

6. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

For some reason I feel like this is unlikely. Not just for you, but for some others too, including myself.

And I love the point about "something new." If you're going to do Star Trek, just make it about the original characters. If you want something new, do something else. From the surface that seems to make sense and is often worth pondering, but at the same time it completely ignores that there are successful spinoffs of many different shows. Why make TNG and not more TOS? Why make Frasier and not more Cheers? Why do NCIS? Other CSIs?

For me personally, I don't take any show so seriously that it can't have a spinoff and I can't enjoy it. For instance, I love Breaking Bad, and while the concept of Better Call Saul seems strange, I'm still going to give it a shot (if it actually pans out). If they decided to remake Breaking Bad, that would be boring to me. Granted, some things reboot better than others, but mostly in movies, and not on TV.

7. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

TNG was a success , true, and 'Patrick Stewart and the gold guy' hold a place in pop culture. Maybe not quite to the extent of Kirk and Spock. But sadly, the TNG movies met with the laws of diminishing returns. After First Contact, the final two TNG movies just didn't connect with non-Trek audiences.

8. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually there aren't anymore CSIs anymore. Only the original is still on.

9. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

The movies are a totally different situation than the TV shows, however. What works well on television doesn't always work well in theatres (I think the success rate of TV shows that go to the big screen really isn't all that great to begin with, though Hollywood keeps trying).

10. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

My other examples such as Frasier and TNG aren't on anymore, so what's your point?

11. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Any new show made will be as different from TNG/DS9/VOY era Trek, as TNG was from TOS.

I think it's likely we'll either get a new crew in the JJ verse, a reboot of TOS in the JJ verse, or just another new universe altogether. I highly doubt the Prime universe will ever appear on screen again.

12. Nociod

Nociod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I feel that if they are going to bring back Star Trek to television, then a new crew is the way to go.

The old stories have already been told. Sure, new stories could be made, but I have a feeling that the studios would push the writers into retelling the ones we are already familiar with, and bring back the same old villains. I'm sure that for some people, getting a chance to seek out new adventures with the TOS characters would be fun, but for me I would always compare it to the old :p

13. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A new crew in the JJ verse might work, with possibly the occasional cameo appearance by Kirk n' co. I'm not sure the fanbase who got into Trek through JJ's movies would be ready for yet another reboot of Kirk (and the casual viewers the networks want to attract probably even less so), and the studios certainly can't afford to pay Pine, Quinto & co a high enough salary to get them to stick to a TV show for even a season. That's my guess anyway.

That said, I would be more than happy for Paramount to pick up Star Trek Continues and make it an official series. I want more than one episode a year!

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

They were able to reboot Spider-Man after only three movies.

15. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I've seen a couple of episodes of that, and it's almost like watching TOS. :techman:

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I like how, if you squint, the Continues Kirk appears to be Shatner Kirk. He nailed Shatner's posture and gestures.
    But Spock is usually the worst casting choice in every remake. Can't find a second Nimoy.

17. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I'd want to see whatever would be most financially viable for the network in the long run as I would hate to see the show cancelled early.

18. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would like to see a new crew. Ideally, I would like a late 24th-early 25th century Starfleet crew, dealing with the aftermath of the destruction of Romulus, and the remnants of the Romulan Star Empire....and a new threat. I'd prefer it to be set maybe 20-25 years after Nemesis. I would also like to see it tie the Abramsverse in somehow, possibly even have occasional guest appearances of characters from past shows and movies.

I'd be totally down for that!

19. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd want to see something that entertains me. I think we can safely leave what's "most financially viable for the network" to its accountants.

20. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

^ Yeah, I can see where you're coming from.

Jeff Gerstmann would probably put it this way: You want the best Star Trek, I want the most Star Trek ;)